Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
P-400/Airacobra Mk.1 in winter
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 01:54:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: P-400/Airacobra Mk.1 in winter  (Read 6214 times)
66misos

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

« on: November 24, 2014, 06:13:49 AM »

Hi,
I started colorizing this picture:

As far as I know photo shows former RAF Airacobras Mk.1 in Vaenga airport.

This should be instruction sheet from AZ Model (found at internet):

My colors so far - yellow number over white (or alluminium/silver) surface - usuall appearance I found at the internet:

Colors are not definitive, just to get overall impression.

I found pictures at the internet where outer half of the wing is Olive Green (RAF???) or red. IMHO, the whole wing is one quite relective color. The bright area is the reflection of the shining fuselage on the wing and also on the fin. And the darker area is reflection of the cloudy sky.
Note solid "shadow" on the left part of the second digit of the board number. It does not look like "5". Plus I miss there horizontal "shadow" in the middle like on the "9". That second digit looks more like "6", similar to "60" on the next plane.

Regards,
  66misos

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 06:47:21 PM »

Hi Misos,
interesting work.
I agree that the disuniformity of the wing is due to a reflection from the fuselage. Something similar can be seen on the stabilizer.
A wavy line separes the shiny uppersurface from the undersurface, probably still in neutral grey.
On the whole, the use of silver as winter camo looks credible on these planes.
The star on the tail seems roughly oversprayed with the inter paint. The blending zone should be less saturated.
I've doubts about the yellow number. Silver or white looks more likely, it would justify the shadowing. Other planes seem to have red numbers, without shadowing.
The instructions of the AZ sheet have a wrong shape of the numbers, too small and too back stars and don't put into evidence the wavy division line.
Regards
Massimo

« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 07:49:07 PM by Massimo Tessitori » Logged
66misos

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 03:30:36 PM »

Hi,
a little update today:

Regards,
    66misos

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 04:39:32 PM »

Hi Misos,
I think to see a very weak '60 or 63 behind the star of the second plane. Probably there was some number under the winter layer.
I think you should desaturate the transition part where the winter paint blends on the star on the tail.
The cyan dominant of the background is too uniform, I would turn the sky to a more violet shade.
Regards
Massimo
66misos

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 06:44:28 AM »

Hi,
another update.
Massimo, I do not see there any numbers. Probably you have better eyes. Wink
There are quite long shadows on the ground, time closing to sunset. So clouds are more violet, or less cyan, made according to the "cloudy sky" pictures on the web.

Regards,
   66misos
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 06:46:27 AM by 66misos » Logged

66misos

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 06:58:05 AM »

Hi, I cleaned sky in the picture above. Hope picture could be finished.
Caption could be: "P-39D/P-400, 2 gsap, winter 1942/43. Ex-RAF P-400s or P-39Ds photographed at the Vaenga airport. Note long barrel nose gun and 12 exhaust pipes. Aircraft seems to be painted alluminium on the upper surface, note bright reflection of the fuselage on the upperwing and tail on the fin."
regards,
   66misos

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: