Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
New La-5 in 1/48
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 11:13:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: New La-5 in 1/48  (Read 12764 times)
TISO

« on: June 09, 2007, 11:18:13 AM »

By South front:
http://scalemodels.ru/modules/news/article_storyid_555.html

Disciple of Error
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 03:14:27 AM »

Nice! I just received a message from the director of South Front, Andrey Drobyazko, and he says the next release will be a Yak-1, due in late summer. Looks like 2007 will be a good year for 1/48 VVS kits!

John Thompson
Dark Green Man

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 03:22:18 AM »

Thank You gentlemen !
I just spotted one for sale on evilbay just a few hours ago and was wondering if I should buy one.
after seeing the photos of the sprues at the link provided I think I will
a close look at the decal sheet shows you can do a lot more than the 5 machines shown on the back of the box.
[/color]

"when we lose the right to be different, we lose the priviledge to be free"--Charles Evans Hughes
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 03:32:18 AM »

I just got the SF LaGG-3, despite the fact that it's in the wrong scale, and it's quite good. Looks like it will need a bit of dry-fitting here and there, but overall it's well detailed and nicely molded, and also designed in such a way as to be relatively easy to assemble. I'll be looking out for the La-5 at the local hobby shop, for sure. Good luck to South Front!

John Thompson
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 12:06:54 PM »

Hi, Smiley
even if the LaGG-3 model could be not dimensionally perfect, it is a good thing that it will be coherent with La-5 model of the same firm.
To put, side by side, a LaGG-3 and a La-5 models made by different firms, with different shape errors, could turn into highlighting the inconsistencies.
The Yak-1... maybe it could be better and cheaper than Eduard's one, that has a bit too wide canopy.
Massimo
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 05:50:51 PM »

Hi, Smiley
even if the LaGG-3 model could be not dimensionally perfect, it is a good thing that it will be coherent with La-5 model of the same firm.
To put, side by side, a LaGG-3 and a La-5 models made by different firms, with different shape errors, could turn into highlighting the inconsistencies.
The Yak-1... maybe it could be better and cheaper than Eduard's one, that has a bit too wide canopy.
Massimo

Sorry - I didn't mean that the South Front LaGG-3 was inaccurate, I meant that it was in 1/48 scale, not 1/72! It's a great looking kit, in the box. Maybe I'll get time to test-fit a few of the main parts and to compare them to drawings, but as far as I know, it's quite accurate. It's just not in my favourite scale, which is 1/72. Despite that, I'm *really* looking forward to the La-5, with its three Valeriy Chkalov decal options! If South Front keeps producing these great VVS 1/48 kits, I might have to "change my religion"...  Wink

John
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2007, 08:45:08 PM »

Hi, Smiley
I see. I have read that it's  too long of some millimeters , but this looks not so bad if the shape is accurate.
Massimo
Dark Green Man

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2007, 11:39:30 PM »

I just got the SF LaGG-3, despite the fact that it's in the wrong scale

NO! actually it is in the Right scale !? ? Smiley? Smiley
[/color]
Looks like it will need a bit of dry-fitting here and there

actually it's not bad, although it is certainly not a Tamiya or Hasegawa.[/color]

and also designed in such a way as to be relatively easy to assemble.? Good luck to South Front!

actually I think it is smartly assembled.
it is simple, yet effective, a quality that I would like to see in more models.
it does seem to me that South Front is 'on a roll' but it would be a simple matter to include 5-gun and 2-gun cowlings in the kit so you can model a much wider variety of early production LaGG's
[/color]

"when we lose the right to be different, we lose the priviledge to be free"--Charles Evans Hughes
Dark Green Man

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2007, 11:48:34 PM »

If South Front keeps producing these great VVS 1/48 kits, I might have to "change my religion"... Wink

John

that's what I keep trying to tell you !!!
(just some more good hearted fooling around**humor**laugh**)

I am almost done with my kit and a review will be soon
(yes I know I have been promising that for a while....)
back in December I took some test shots , I'll look on my HD and if you ask nicely (kidding!) I could make them available to you.
(wish I could post them here....)
[/color]

John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2007, 12:43:54 AM »

back in December I took some test shots , I'll look on my HD and if you ask nicely (kidding!) I could make them available to you.
[/color]

Yes, please do! I'd like to see those. Thanks!

John
Dark Green Man

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2007, 02:17:33 AM »

John, check your email in-box.
the images should be there.
[/color]

John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2007, 02:45:54 AM »

John, check your email in-box.
the images should be there.
[/color]

Nope, no new messages, either here on the forum in my personal messages, or on my personal e-mail - please try again!

John
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2007, 01:23:11 AM »

DGM - got your LaGG-3 images - looks good, so far! I didn't realize you had my at-work e-mail address. Thanks again!

John
Dark Green Man

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2007, 01:28:16 AM »

OOPS !
to the best of my knowledge that is the only email address I have for you.
please feel free to send a more appropriate email address to me and I will change my address book.
I know many companies frown upon personal email at work, I would not want to get either of us in trouble.

John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2007, 11:13:54 PM »

For those that haven't seen this stuff yet, the following Modelimex page has detail thumbnails of the sprues and decal instructions for the South Front 1/48 La-5 kit:
http://www.modelimex.com/inshop/scripts/...emid=20985

A couple of things might be worth pointing out:
(1) I hadn't noticed this before, but the decal placement instructions (and the colour artwork from the underside of the box) show all the aircraft as having the cowling exhaust flaps in the same natural metal finish as the exhaust shields on the sides of the fuselage behind the cowling. I've never seen this in photos or profiles, and I think it's incorrect...
(2) A couple of the options are described as "La-5F", and the F-version engine identification marking on the cowling is provided. This is interesting - I had always just assumed the La-5F had the cut-down rear fuselage and all-around vision ("bubble") canopy as a standard part of its specification, but it does make good sense that the -F engine could have been introduced in late La-5 (full-depth, or "razorback") fuselages. Live and learn! ;-)

John

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: