Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
New La-5 in 1/48
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 02:56:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: New La-5 in 1/48  (Read 12766 times)
Dark Green Man

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2007, 01:15:13 AM »

(1) I hadn't noticed this before, but the decal placement instructions (and the colour artwork from the underside of the box) show all the aircraft as having the cowling exhaust flaps in the same natural metal finish as the exhaust shields on the sides of the fuselage behind the cowling. I've never seen this in photos or profiles, and I think it's incorrect...
(2) A couple of the options are described as "La-5F", and the F-version engine identification marking on the cowling is provided. This is interesting - I had always just assumed the La-5F had the cut-down rear fuselage and all-around vision ("bubble") canopy as a standard part of its specification, but it does make good sense that the -F engine could have been introduced in late La-5 (full-depth, or "razorback") fuselages. Live and learn!

I believe you are correct on that,it is probably an error in artwork.
it seems to me that the movable flap was painted and the fixed backing plate was not painted.
as for your second point....HMMM
I know there is some confusion as to whether the FN engine might have been put into the aircraft before the long single-piece intake scoop was added.
the same thing might have happened with the F and the razorback and bubble-top.

p.s. here's my 100th post for this forum
[/color]

"when we lose the right to be different, we lose the priviledge to be free"--Charles Evans Hughes
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2007, 10:33:19 PM »

Thanks, DGM; however, Massimo has pointed out in the thread on Matt and Erik's VVS forum that there were some La-5s that *did* have unpainted exhaust flaps, so I was wrong there, or at least not 100% right! My position now is that this feature was so uncommon, it seems unlikely that *every one* of the South Front decal options should have unpainted flaps, as the instructions show. So, it's either find photos of the specific aircraft you want to model to confirm this detail, or go with a profile from someone you trust!

Congrats on reaching post No.100, BTW, and happy Independence Day!

John
Dark Green Man

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2007, 11:27:29 PM »

not being 100% right does not mean that you are 100% wrong ! Grin

the suggestion of using a period photograph for modeling purposes is something I strongly recommend to all modelers in this field (GPW-era VVS)

Thank You for congrats on post #100 and July 4th.
when is Canada's Independence day?

"when we lose the right to be different, we lose the priviledge to be free"--Charles Evans Hughes
Apex1701

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2007, 02:56:10 AM »

Hi guys,

Yesterday the mailman brought the SF La-5 kit.

Here's a short review:

First of all let's say that the the quality had improved since the Lagg-3.
Parts are crisper, the plastic is a bit less soft and lot less flash.

The interior is quite bare. Work will have to be done inside the pit.

There are some unused parts on sprue F:
- 2 instruments panels
- parts for another oil or radiator intake
- and another rudder with external mass balances!!

At first I thought that the unused parts will be for La-5F/FN but seeing the unused rudder I'm not so sure :-(
Maybe late version Lagg-3?? We'll see

There are 19 different aircrafts that can be done with the decals provided!!! 17 La-5 and 2 La-5F(razorback)
All have the stel plates left unpainted.
BTW the Radial engined Lavochkins of WW2 have almost all these metal plates unpainted.

I'm looking forward to build that one.

All the best.

Jean
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2007, 04:08:11 PM »

Please see my reply on Matt and Erik's Hobbyvista forum! Thanks for the review, Jean!

John
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: