Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
UM 1/72 Pe-2 ser.205
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 04:59:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: UM 1/72 Pe-2 ser.205  (Read 12559 times)
TISO

« on: June 17, 2007, 12:13:49 AM »

Today i got UM's Peshka (21,5 EUR). At first glance it looks good. There is some flash here and there and panel lines are a bit heavy (mr.srfacer and a little work will take care of that).

It is interesting that parts for early versions are also included - will come in handy for Zvezda/Italeri kit Grin. Doubled and/or surplus parts:
entire engine/UC gondolas with cowlings and separate exoust stacks ( early and late)
main cockpy canopy (early and late)
nose glasing in 3 versions (early, late...)
tail cone
skies....

It has full interior with opened hatches, opened and detailed bomb bay. It has a small PE fret with detonator propellers, parts for turret and bombs.

Markings (both with 3 colour camo - instructions on full colour sheet with colour in Humbrol range)
12. GBAP KBF - white 01 with Kremlin strars - podpolkovnik V.I.Rakov (1944)
Huh BAP - white 5 - "For Boris Safonov" and oder of red banner -?Huh? (fall of 1943) - this one is ussualy depicted as one tone green machine

Pic's of the model on various forums:
Slovene modelling forum (for comparison purposes photos of Zlinek kits are also posted somewhere in the topic):
http://makete.si/viewtopic.php?t=1406

Serbian modelling forum:
http://maketarskikutak.freeserverhost.com/index.php?board=18.0
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 12:24:08 AM by TISO » Logged

Disciple of Error
Dark Green Man

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 12:43:50 AM »

Tiso , Thank You for those links.
although I can't read a word of it the photos do the job.
'a picture is worth a thousand words'
it looks to me the outer sections of the wings are horribly inaccurate, possibly requiring total replacement.
it's nice to see that you can build several different series of aircraft from this kit, something that can't be said for others.
(I notice the instructions state series 205, yet the decal sheet says series 265)
one of the problems with other kits is finding a correct set of decals for a specific series of aircraft,the differences between them usually are not visible in photographs.
I also wonder if the internal parts (and maybe the late style exhausts) could be put inside the Zvezda/Italeri kit?
[/color]

"when we lose the right to be different, we lose the priviledge to be free"--Charles Evans Hughes
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 06:56:06 AM »

Hi,
I've that kit now, and I've compared with the drawings of Armada monographs. Although "horribly unaccurate" looks an exaggeration, I've seen that the wingtip is about 1 or 1,5 mm too narrow.
I haven't the model of Zvezda for comparison, and kitbashing the wing looks too expensive to me.
The correction of the UM wing would involve the addition of plastic on the wing leading edge. I've an idea on how to do this without deleting the surface details; the upper part of each wing could be partially cut from inside and inclined forward to gain the necessary thickness; the gap has to be filled with plastic or putty and cyanoacrilate; once joined the upper and lower parts of each wing, the lower one has to be filled with putty and cyanoacrilate to match the upper leading edge.
It resembles a work that I've already done, on a smaller scale, on Hasegawa I-16.
As an alternative, the wing could be left as it is.
Massimo
TISO

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 12:21:25 AM »

Well it all boils down to whom do you belive, the drawings or the manufacturer. Since i'm a pessimist (and thourogly cynical person) i don't belive neither of them. Tongue
 Some time ago i was able to cut model to shreds and building it up from there just to be accurate. Not anymore. I got burned a few times. Angry
I'm not correcting the wings unless i have a chance to mesure them by myself (fat chance of doing that since i don't have? Peshka sitting in my backyard) or someone thrustworthy does that for me (anyone from the forum has access to Pe-2?Huh).
Problems with drawings and models is that they are sometimes based on material of dubious quality or on planes/tanks/trucks/younameit that were extensively modifies (Tamiya's 1/48 Gloster Meteor Mk I is an excellent case point).
Therefore if you correct it according to one set of drawings it will surely be incorrect to another set. So i'm saving myself a lot of grief by not correcting them at all. Anyway if they are completly wrong shape i can always get me another one and cut thatone up Grin, it's not that expensive (thank god/chosen deity for that) Grin

BTW
I did overpay my example. Friend got his for around 16 USD at hobbyterra.com. Well i couldn't help myself. I just see new VVS kit and something snaps in me. I'll have to go to the shrink or something. Tongue Tongue

BTW, BTW
Their catalog also has Pe-2 series 1 (cat.No.101-already in production), series 16 (cat.No.103) , series 55 (cat.No.104-with skies), series 87 (cat.No.105).
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 12:40:35 AM by TISO » Logged

Disciple of Error
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 01:52:17 AM »

Therefore if you correct it according to one set of drawings it will surely be incorrect to another set. So i'm saving myself a lot of grief by not correcting them at all. Anyway if they are completly wrong shape i can always get me another one and cut thatone up Grin, it's not that expensive (thank god/chosen deity for that) Grin

Photos, man, photos! We must see photos - drawings are always suspect!? Wink But I agree 100% about not going crazy trying to correct everything - I used to do that all the time, but right now (as part of my *psychotherapy*), I'm working on a Hobby Boss 1/72 Yak-3. This is a kit which we know is supposed to be a Yak-3 mainly because it says "Yak-3" on the box. From some angles, in bad lighting, it even looks a little bit like a Yak-3. Okay, I've corrected a few things, but not *everything*! I have too many unfinished models which have been corrected, and corrected again, and then the corrections were corrected... And yes, they're not so expensive that we can't buy another one to cut up, as you said!

BTW
I did overpay my example. Friend got his for around 16 USD at hobbyterra.com. Well i couldn't help myself. I just see new VVS kit and something snaps in me. I'll have to go to the shrink or something. Tongue Tongue

You sound like me. If it's a single-engined fighter from the GPW era, and it has red stars on it, I'll buy it. Even if it's "not the right scale". In fact, I might buy 4 or 5 of it. Let me know your doctor's name when you find him - I could use some help too.? Tongue? Tongue? Tongue? Tongue? Tongue

John
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 10:14:40 AM »

Hi, Smiley
I agree that drawings are not always better than the model itself, so I'll continue comparisons with other sources. However, such errors will not be visible from photos on the ground, I think.
At the end, it's possible that I'll left the model as it is.
However, such work could be easier than one thinks. The correction on I-16 required about an hour. Much depends on how the work is projected.
By the way, do you think that the pieces of other releases of UM will be the same of this box? If so, the difference will be reduced to boxing and decals.
Massimo
TISO

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 09:49:47 PM »

I belive difference will be just boxing, decals and instructions. Except for series 55 with skies (included in my box) which should also have also some correction for necceles (according to photos). Otherwise there are all parts for other series ( two entire sets of neccels with cowlings, skies, transparent parts...) Spare part box will be nicely filled up. I'm already contemplating using spare cowlings&necceles and other parts on Italeri/Zvezda kit.
 As for comparing to the souces this goes without saying but one has to decide where, what and how if at all will correct the model.

Right now (well for some time now) i'm working on Heller/Smer Yak-3 where i decided to correct some glaring inaccuracies (wings in flap area, Glycol cooler...) but decided that some inaccuracies that i think will not be so visible will not be corrected (U/C that should be 2mm more apart..). I'm rather fond on this little bugger. I even bought moskit exaust (worth 2 or 3 Smer kits Tongue) and Part set (worth another Smer kit). All in all i could build almost entire squadron out of the box Yak's for this money Grin
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 10:00:27 PM by TISO » Logged

Disciple of Error
TISO

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007, 08:21:53 PM »

It seams that i forgot to mention that model has thorougly detailed interior (cockpit, bomb bay, raer fuselage) and that only PE parts that would be realy needed ( in addition to exsisting in the kit) would be seat belts, better instrumnet panels and few small details. The only ommision that i found so far is nose mounted MG with it's ammo box and the big hydro cylinder in main U/C gears.

FEW USABLE LINKS:

A must have:
Tehničeskoe opisanie samoleta Pe-2 (Fu&%n? Cry .djvu format):
http://www.airwar.ru/other/bibl/pe2to.html

Articles in Modelist-Konstruktor - with very good detail drawings (in Russian off course Grin - Drawings are dowloadable on link Чертежи для печати lower right corner of the article ):
Pe-2:
M-K No.8 1986:
http://mkmagazin.almanacwhf.ru/avia/pe_2.htm

M-K No.3 1968:
http://mkmagazin.almanacwhf.ru/avia/pe_2_6803.htm

Pe-3bis M-K No.3? 1983:
http://mkmagazin.almanacwhf.ru/avia/pe_3bis.htm

Another article on airwar.ru (na rossiskom) with few photos, colour profiles and links to the drawings and manual:
http://www.airwar.ru/enc/bww2/pe2.html

Drawings:
from Warpaint:
http://www.airwar.ru/other/draw/pe2.html

From Aviacija i Kozmonautika:
http://www.airwar.ru/other/draw/pe2aik.html[/
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 08:25:18 PM by TISO » Logged

Disciple of Error
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2007, 08:27:26 PM »

Here's another Pe-2 drawing site - I bookmarked this one when this thread first started, because I knew it'd come in handy eventually, for you Pe-2 enthusiasts:
http://www.wunderwaffe.narod.ru/Magazine/AirWar/113/Draw/index.htm

Enjoy!!!

John
TISO

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2007, 11:26:55 PM »

Thanks John. I totaly forgot about wunderwaffe scans from Vojna vo vozduhe (Air war) No.113. Here are also the photos and colour profiles:
http://www.wunderwaffe.narod.ru/Magazine/AirWar/113/Pictures/page_01.htm

Text is in html form in Russian narurally  Grin:
Part 1
Part 2

Disciple of Error
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2007, 12:02:25 AM »

Thanks John. I totaly forgot about wunderwaffe scans from Vojna vo vozduhe (Air war) No.113. Here are also the photos and colour profiles:
http://www.wunderwaffe.narod.ru/Magazine/AirWar/113/Pictures/page_01.htm

Very impressive walkaround on the third page of that link - thanks!

John

(P.S. - woo hoo - 100 posts makes me a three-star "Full Member"!!!  Grin )
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 12:06:35 AM by John Thompson » Logged
Dark Green Man

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2007, 01:06:16 AM »

John, Thank You for posting that link.
I was aware of the site for a few years but somehow I missed the second set of drawings.
(those that begin with v )
the first group of drawings are stolen from 'Pe-2 In Action' and should not be considered very good.

does anyone know where the other drawings came from ?
they are much much better and have sketches from a book on aircraft construction.

as for the color artwork color1 and 2 are also from the center of 'Pe-2 in Action' and color3 is the back cover !
(you can see the bar-code and ISBN number)
the front cover artwork is also stolen from 'Petlyakov Pe-2 in Action'

p.s. yesterday I made my 301st post at the Modeling the VVS 1917-1950 forum (four stars)? Tongue Grin
[/color]

"when we lose the right to be different, we lose the priviledge to be free"--Charles Evans Hughes
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: