Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Trumpeter 1/72 P-40 B/c
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 02:22:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Trumpeter 1/72 P-40 B/c  (Read 9850 times)
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« on: June 22, 2007, 01:17:10 AM »

Courtesy of Micheal Benolkin's Cybermodeler site:
http://www.cybermodeler.com/news/images/tsm1107.pdf

- Includes VVS decal option 154 IAP Soviet Naval Aviation 1942. November 2007 release date.

John
Audrius

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 06:53:33 AM »

Thanks John for the news!
Br Audrius
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 07:10:13 PM »

I found the new Trumpeter 1/72 P-40B/C kit at Aviation World in Toronto. (Got the last one on the new kit display rack, so if you're from the area, phone ahead first to see if there are any more in stock.) A quick comparison with the drawings in the Osprey Aircraft of the Aces Vol.41 "American Volunteer Group Colours and Markings" shows the kit to be right on with regard to wing and fuselage dimensions and shapes. Overall, a very nice kit, and not expensive at $18 Cdn, so it makes the AML P-40B look overpriced! The VVS option is not identified as to squadron - it's "White 24", in an ordinary British camouflage scheme. I assume my previous post has the unit identified correctly, but I haven't tried to check that.

An oddity that only a detail weirdo like me might notice - the box identifies the aircraft as a "Warhawk"; inside the box, the instructions repeat that error, and the camouflage and markings sheets call it a "Kittyhawk" - nowhere does the word "Tomahawk" appear. Historical revisionism/political correctness gone wild, perhaps?  Wink

Now that Trumpeter has done the P-40B/C in the three most popular scales, maybe they'll repeat that process and give us a MiG-3 in 1/72. Unlikely, I suppose, considering the quality of the Hobby Boss 1/72 version, but an *early* MiG-3 as a standard (non-"Easy Build") kit seems like a good idea to me! The next "must have" on Trumpeter's future release list is the 1/72 Su-15TM - I hope they correct the errors that appeared in their "big" version a few years ago!

John
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 07:41:34 AM »

Hi John, Smiley
I hope in a new MiG-3 all the same, especially if it's a reduction of their larger kit. Apart some defects, it is by far more detaied and detailable that the Hobbyboss.
I wonder if the strange error on the windshield of the P-40C of Hobbyboss was in some way intentional, to leave market for the Trumpeter reduction.
Is it a reduction of the 1/48 kit, or simplified?
Massimo
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 05:50:43 PM »

Hi John, Smiley
I wonder if the strange error on the windshield of the P-40C of Hobbyboss was in some way intentional, to leave market for the Trumpeter reduction.
Is it a reduction of the 1/48 kit, or simplified?
Massimo

Hi Massimo! The windshield of the Trumpeter kit is also curved (which is correct, per drawings), but it also has a frame around it, while the Hobbyboss does not (I'm not at home, so I can't examine the parts again right now).

To answer the second question, since I don't have the 1/48 kit, I would need to see some images of the sprues for the 1/48 P-40B. If you can give me the URL of these images from a review on the Internet, then maybe I can compare the 1/72 kit parts to those images. Thanks!

John
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 08:41:42 PM »

Hi John, Smiley
at present time, I haven't any link for a review of 1/48 kit. I hope that someone will help us.
Is the windshield really curved? Not a flat plate in its front? If so, it shouldn't be too difficult to add a pair of frames made by painted paper.
Massimo
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 12:21:53 AM »

Hi John, Smiley
at present time, I haven't any link for a review of 1/48 kit. I hope that someone will help us.
Is the windshield really curved? Not a flat plate in its front? If so, it shouldn't be too difficult to add a pair of frames made by painted paper.
Massimo

The canopy parts for the two kits look very nearly identical. Differences:
- The HB kit contains *both open and closed* canopies, the Trumpeter kit contains *only* the parts for an *open* canopy (I hope I've got a vacuformed one somewhere!  Wink ).
- The Trumpeter windshield is the same shape as the HB one, but what I thought was a frame when I looked at it through its clear envelope is actually two very small ribs, molded on the inside of the windscreen. The HB doesn't have these.
- If I said in the review elsewhere of the HB kit that the curved windscreen was an error, then I was wrong! Now that I've studied it a bit, I can see that the windscreen on the P-40B/C *was* curved. The flat windscreen was introduced on the P-40E. So, curved is okay, and as you point out, the frames can be added with paint, painted decal strips, or whatever.

John
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 03:02:48 AM »

I found a review of the 1/48 P-40B/C, with sprue images:
http://kits.kitreview.com/p40btrump48reviewbg_1.htm

Comparing these images with the 1/72 kit, it's obvious that the two kits do not have much in common. This is what you'd expect, considering the greater opportunity for Trumpeter to provide detail in the 1/48 version. I would have to guess that Trumpeter's research on the P-40 in order to prepare the 1/32 and 1/48 kits made it easier for them to produce the 1/72 kit; they may also have made some improvements in the 1/72 kit compared to the other two, as a result of criticisms of the bigger versions (for example, no rivets on the 1/72 - see Brett Green's review at the above link!).

Trumpeter seems willing to produce kits of the same aircraft in several scales if, I assume, the first scale released sells well. They have done this in at least two scales with such types as the P-40B/C, the Westland Wyvern, and the MiG-3, and perhaps others I can't think of quickly (a couple of Luftwaffe types, probably!). This spreads some of the development costs over more than one kit; I'm sure they have also noticed that most modellers are dedicated to one scale, and they expect that a type that appeals (and therefore sells well) to 1/32 enthusiasts will also appeal to those who build only 1/72, but only if it's in "the right scale" (in other words, you may want a MiG-3, but you'll either wait until a 1/72 kit is released, or you won't buy a MiG-3 at all).

I was told many years ago by one of the head people at Accurate Miniatures that they were planning to do exactly this (the cost-spreading thing, by releasing kits of the same aircraft in more than one scale), but they had only got as far as applying this thinking to the Il-2 before they went out of business, leaving the 1/72 Il-2 project at the mold preparation stage.

John
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 03:07:26 AM by John Thompson » Logged
Dark Green Man

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 07:42:29 PM »

here is an excellent website on the P-40 , sadly for you they seem to ignore 1/72 scale.
they have photos of the 1/32 scale Trumpeter kit for further comparison.

the reference and technical pages might be a big help in checking for accuracy.

http://www.p40warhawk.com/

"when we lose the right to be different, we lose the priviledge to be free"--Charles Evans Hughes
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2007, 11:22:41 PM »

here is an excellent website on the P-40 , sadly for you they seem to ignore 1/72 scale.
they have photos of the 1/32 scale Trumpeter kit for further comparison.

the reference and technical pages might be a big help in checking for accuracy.

http://www.p40warhawk.com/

Pretty cool - thanks again, DGM! I like those factory drawings - if the kit designers knew about something like that, the chance of creating an inaccurate kit would be greatly reduced.
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2007, 02:06:13 PM »

The canopy parts for the two kits look very nearly identical. Differences:
- The HB kit contains *both open and closed* canopies, the Trumpeter kit contains *only* the parts for an *open* canopy (I hope I've got a vacuformed one somewhere!   ).
- The Trumpeter windshield is the same shape as the HB one, but what I thought was a frame when I looked at it through its clear envelope is actually two very small ribs, molded on the inside of the windscreen. The HB doesn't have these.
- If I said in the review elsewhere of the HB kit that the curved windscreen was an error, then I was wrong! Now that I've studied it a bit, I can see that the windscreen on the P-40B/C *was* curved. The flat windscreen was introduced on the P-40E. So, curved is okay, and as you point out, the frames can be added with paint, painted decal strips, or whatever.

John

Hi John,  Smiley
so, if I understand well, it looks that there is not great difference of quality between these kits, apart for internal details, isn't it?
Are the ribs on the windshield of the Trumpeter  considerable as a defect? Is there anything in that position in real planes?
Massimo

Libor Jekl

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2007, 02:35:25 PM »

Hi John,

Thanks for the info on both kits, it is very welcome indeed!  Smiley

As far as the windshield "interior ribs" are concerned, I think these are not the real frames or ribs - there was mounted a flat armour glass inside the windshield, what might look at side view as a frame. I remember that from my AML Soviet Tomahawk Mk.IIA build.

Cheers,
Libor
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: