Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Eduard 1/72 La-7
Sovietwarplanes
April 26, 2024, 04:58:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Eduard 1/72 La-7  (Read 13357 times)
mbittner

« on: February 21, 2015, 02:30:20 AM »

Even though I built one yearssss ago, I just acquired a new one and was wondering what "new things" have been discovered about how to build and better this kit. Unfortunately there is no aftermarket for it that I know of, except from Eduard themselves. Anything else?

Oh yeah, what about colors? I know I'm going to get ripped on this one, but what is the consensus for the cockpit color?

Colors were the main reason I went away from VVS modeling, but with this one (the Weekend kit, BTW) I'll try to get back into it. Wink

Matt Bittner
Managing Editor
Internet Modeler
http://www.internetmodeler.com/
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 03:49:20 PM »

Hi Matt,
for what I know, A-14 grey is the most likely color for the inside of La-7. For wooden parts (nearly all) DD-118 could be used, but it is not too different, just a bit darker and more violet.
I never studied accurately the kit, but I found that the shape of KP spinner and canopy was better. I think that Ilya Grinberg made a good work on it somewhere, perhaps on the old VVS site.
Keep us informed on your model.
Regards
Massimo
Ohotnyik

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 09:39:13 PM »

Hello Matt,

the SBS model manufactures spinner for the Eduard La 7

http://www.sbsmodel.com/resinsets

mbittner

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 12:27:32 AM »

Thanks, all. Any good Vallejo matches for A-14?

Isn't there issues with the landing gear bays, and the fact there's nothing in the kit against the engine?

Matt Bittner
Managing Editor
Internet Modeler
http://www.internetmodeler.com/
warhawk

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 12:55:52 PM »

So far, I have made these observations on this kit regarding accuracy:

• Landing gear legs are too long. This is an easy fix, preventing the model from looking like a caricature
  • Front panel of the windscreen is too wide, I solved this with a spare canopy from KP kit
  • Nose is too blunt, needs lengthening and reshaping. Unfortunately, KP part is narrower and can't be used as a replacement, although it has better shape
  • Spinner is a bit off (should have a subtle double curve), there is a replacement made by SBS Model, but I chose to correct mine on a lathe (not a difficult fix). Or you can find a spare from KP kit
  • This kit is a down-scaled Gavia/Eduard 1/48th scale model, which has received some criticism for rear fuselage being too narrow. But I don't think this is noticeable in 72nd...

I believe most of these mistakes are made because the kit is based on plans from MBI book, which show all these errors (when compared to photos).

A fellow modeller on a Croatian forum has addressed the nose issue with a styrene insert

You can see the rest of his work HERE

Regards,
Aleksandar
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 11:23:35 AM by warhawk » Logged
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 01:26:14 AM »

Check here for some La-7 items, including replacement fuselages; I actually have one of these, but I haven't compared it with the kit fuselage yet to see whether it corrects the issues Aleksandar has identified:
http://shop.strato.de/epages/61299018.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/61299018/Categories/STEELWORK-AIRCRAFT

John
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 04:16:57 PM »

I compared the Steelwork resin La-7 fuselage with the Eduard kit. The Steelwork cowling ring (which is in one piece with the fuselage) is about 1.5 mm longer than the Eduard part, so this was corrected (no argument over 0.5 mm, I hope!) on the replacement fuselage.

If I was building this kit, I would slice a 1.5 - 2.0 mm piece off the spare Eduard cowling ring (the kit has two, one for the 2-gun version and one for the 3-gun version) and use that to modify the part I planned to use.

Regarding the canopy, I checked three replacement vacuforms in comparison with the Eduard canopy and the KP canopy:
Pavla: Same inaccurate windscreen shape as Eduard
Rob Taurus: Also has same inaccurate windscreen shape
Falcon Clear-Vax Set 24: Does not include La-7 canopy, but La-5FN canopies (open and closed) are included; these match the KP La-7 canopy very well. The obvious drawback is that you have to buy the whole set of about 15 - 20 assorted canopies to get the one you want - I don't think I've ever seen the 1/72 La-5FN canopy offered separately under the Squadron True Details brand. Obviously it's cheaper to buy the KP La-7 kit and use the canopy from that, although the molding on the one I have is a bit rough; some fine-grit sanding and polishing should clean it up well enough.

FWIW, I think the 1/72 AZ/Kovozavody Prostejov La-7 kit is due for release in the near future; personally I think I'd hold off on building the Eduard one until the new kit appears, and see how it compares.

John

John
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 09:08:18 PM »

Hi John,
interesting description indeed.
About the canopy of La-5 of Falcon: I think to remember that the set includes one open canopy for La-5FN plus a closed one. Am I wrong? I have still to look for the set in some dusty box in my attic.
I hope that KP will remake their La-7, but forgetting the drawings of MBI that seem to be the origin of the errors of the kit of Eduard and Gavia. Originally they based on drawings from Letectvi Kosmonautika that seem better. I hope that they won't be discouraged from making a new tool because of the good reputation of Eduard's model.
Regards
Massimo
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 11:22:08 PM »

Hi Massimo - yes, that's correct - two La-5FN canopies are included in Set 24, one open and one closed.

Somewhere (page 3) on the Britmodeller "Rumourmonger" forum there's a thread which says Kovozavody Prostejov is working on a 1/72 La-7, but the release date is not known yet. The first of their new La-5 family kits (La-5FN, I think) is supposed to be due for release this month. I'm really looking forward to that one!

John
warhawk

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 08:35:41 AM »

Would anyone happen to know which is the most accurate set of plans currently available?
I am a bit dubious of just inserting a styrene sheet to the nose, as it might actually make the whole thing longer than it should be  Huh
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2015, 08:36:20 PM »

Would anyone happen to know which is the most accurate set of plans currently available?

Believe it or not, the most accurate drawings may be from an American source, Aero Album Volume 1, Spring 1968. Apparently these drawings were created by Josef Krybus from measurements he took during the restoration of the Czech La-7 on display in Prague. I don't have access to my own PC and scanner at the moment, but some time in the next day or two, I'll scan and post images of these drawings for your evaluation.

John
warhawk

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2015, 08:48:40 AM »

Thanks, John!

I agree, the source is very unlikely, given the combined time and place of publishing  Cheesy
But let's see how it compares to photos...
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2015, 01:44:20 AM »

Okay, here are the drawings from Aero Album Vol.1:

I hope these are of interest; comments, anyone?

John

« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 09:51:39 PM by John Thompson » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2015, 06:49:07 AM »

Hi John,
thank you for posting this.
When compared to photos, the look of the canopy and cowing looks satisfactory; the spinner should be a bit more conical in its front, and there is something wrong on the point where the stabilizers are joined to the fuselage, that appears moved back on the drawing when compared to the profile of the fin (or perhaps, the front profile of the fin is unaccurate).
It doesn't seem bad. I wonder if the original work is the same on which the KP kit is based.

Regards
Massimo
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2015, 01:35:33 PM »

Hi Massimo - I had somewhat the same thoughts regarding the spinner (looks too fat and blunt, or else it's too short) and the fin (the angle between the leading edge and a horizontal line might be slightly too small). I haven't studied any photos closely. though, so as usual I'm quite willing to be shown that I'm wrong!  Cheesy

John
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: