Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
new La-5FN 1/72 from KP
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 11:50:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: new La-5FN 1/72 from KP  (Read 21692 times)
66misos

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

« on: March 02, 2015, 05:28:47 PM »

Hi,
here I found info and CAD visuals that KP (Kovozavody Prostejov) prepares new tool La-5FN in 1/72 http://modelweb.modelforum.cz/2014/09/06/nova-la-5/
Also other versions (La-5, La-5F and La-5UTI) are in the different stages of preparation.
No word about La-7 :-(
Boxart of the prepared La-5FN:

Regards,
   66misos
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 05:42:44 PM by 66misos » Logged

John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 06:07:56 PM »

To be released soon, I hope! I thought it was intended for February, so it must be close.

John
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 04:25:52 PM »

I could be wrong, but what I've read elsewhere (72nd Aircraft forum) makes me believe that the first La-5 family kits (the ones due now) are going to be 1/144 scale; the 1/72 La-5FN is only at the mold preparation stage. Sad

See Petr Muzikant's post, dated  March 3:

http://z15.invisionfree.com/72nd_Aircraft/index.php?showtopic=6141&view=findpost&p=22245071

John
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 04:32:05 PM by John Thompson » Logged
learstang

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 05:57:59 PM »

1/144th? Too bad; I was looking forward to the 1/72nd scale versions.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 12:45:43 AM »

Sprue images have been posted on Modelforum.cz, and also on Scalemodels.ru, plus some additional images in the thread, showing comparison with some parts from the AML La-5FN and also the drawings in the MBI La-5 book:
http://scalemodels.ru/news/9348-novyjj-la-5fn-1-72-ot-kr---foto-litnikov.html

In-box review here:
http://www.detailscaleview.com/2015/09/kovozavody-prostejov-172-la-5fn-aces.html

John
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 12:49:46 AM by John Thompson » Logged
learstang

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2015, 06:53:18 PM »

It does look nice! Strange that it doesn't have the engine - I just looked at their site and they're saying that their La-7 will have an engine. It's the very same engine (ASh-82FN), so why didn't they include it in the La-5FN? It doesn't really matter that much, though, I'm definitely going to buy the kit anyway. Regarding their La-7, they only have schemes for the two-cannon version illustrated, so I suppose they'll release that first, then release the three-cannon version.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 07:44:06 AM »

I'm impressed for details of the cockpit and rear fuselage, then... why not the engine, that is certainly visible unless the shutters are closed?
In my opinion, the open hatch on the side is excessive for an 1/72 kit.
Regards
Massimo
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2015, 07:59:51 PM »

I just received the 1/72 KP La-5FN, and started assembling it; I hope no one minds that I'm cross-posting my comments (so far) from another forum:

The cockpit assembly looks complex and requires a bit of delicacy to assemble, but once it's prepared, it fits perfectly, with no interference when closing up the fuselage halves.

The sprue attachment gates are unusual - they run onto the mating surfaces of many of the parts, so some extra cleanup is required.

The cowling looks good, to me, shape-wise; however, when attached to the fuselage, there is a join line on each side which does not correspond to anything on the real aircraft; this has to be filled and removed carefully, so as not to damage the nearby cowling panel hinge line.

I'm just at the point of preparing the wings for installation; the joint is somewhat complicated, but it appears well-designed, so I'm looking forward to this step to see how it goes. Not sure yet how well the joint corresponds to the edges of the reinforcing plates on this area of the La-5FN - these plates did not exist on the La-5 and La-5F. Like almost all Russian WWII fighters (I can't think of an exception), the LaGG-3/La-5 family fuselage was built from laminated wood strips, and included the wing roots as part of the fuselage. The joint to the outer part of the wing on these aircraft was just outboard of the main landing gear. KP/AZ have done a good job of fitting in scale-depth wheel wells as part of the upper surfaces. This will (I hope) be appreciated by anyone who has struggled with the wheel wells on the Toko/Roden LaGG-3.

Despite what's shown in the test shot sprue images on Scalemodels.ru, the kit doesn't include the ASh-82 radial engine, which would be invisible on the finished model anyway. Instead there's a sort of cone-shaped part (B7) to which the propeller assembly is attached. There's no positive way of centering the cooling shutter (part B25 closed, part B26 open) on this part, so I added a disc of plastic sheet which fits inside the centre of B7 to the back of B26. This is because it's difficult to centre B25 or B26 by eye.

I like the medium-grey colour of the styrene used in the kit - it makes finishing the cockpit easier for lazy dogs like me because, to my eye, it's a good match for the Russian colour A14, so less painting is required. I've certainly thought in the past that molding kits in "cockpit colour" would be a good idea - now someone's gone and done it, whether intentionally or not.

The instruction sheet is well detailed; it runs to eight pages.

John
Johann

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2015, 11:05:58 AM »

Is the plane la 5 /F/FN so complex that no single firm can not do it right? Looking at the photos of the casting is somewhat not posebe forthcoming on the corrections that would eventually get at least something similar
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2015, 05:53:42 PM »

Is the plane la 5 /F/FN so complex that no single firm can not do it right? Looking at the photos of the casting is somewhat not posebe forthcoming on the corrections that would eventually get at least something similar

This is easily the best 1/72 La-5FN available, although there's not much competition, and I don't think Tamiya will release one any time soon. It will be interesting to see what the KP La-5 and La-5F kits will look like - some of the main parts (fuselage halves, cowling, upper wing surfaces) will have to be different from the La-5FN kit, although the wings and cowling can be shared between the La-5 and La-5F.

John
Johann

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2015, 07:47:13 PM »

I is not the one the best or not ... I just not seen in normal la5fn in 72
If this luchshe, just afraid to look at something else (((This is a horror this is not la5fn
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2015, 11:01:32 PM »

I is not the one the best or not ... I just not seen in normal la5fn in 72
If this luchshe, just afraid to look at something else (((This is a horror this is not la5fn

Johann, that's interesting, and I'm always willing to be corrected if I'm wrong, and to learn more - can you explain what you don't like about the kit?

Progress: Assembled the wings, as per the instruction sheet. Normally I assemble the fuselage, add the lower wing surfaces, then install the upper surfaces. To me, this makes it easier to get a neat root joint without filler, although the wing tips sometimes need to be matched up top to bottom by sanding and/or filling. This would be difficult to do on this kit because of the very deep wheel wells that are part of the upper surfaces needing to be slipped into place, so I followed the instructions, which tell you to assemble the wings completely, then attach them to the fuselage. Haven't glued them to the fuselage yet, but dry-fitting looks good.

An error in the instructions: The kit includes two pairs of tailplanes. Step 27 tells you to use parts A17 and A18. Drawings (MBI and Voronin) show this to be wrong - the correct parts are A19 (left) and A20 (right). The assembly instruction drawings show the correct parts (distinguished by their hinge line shape), but the part numbers are wrong. I believe parts A17 and A18 are correct for a very early version of the La-5, carried over from the early LaGG-3 (pre-series 35?).

You also need to reshape the inner end of the elevators to match the stabilizer roots!!!

John
Johann

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2015, 12:39:11 PM »

From what you can make out on a photo model.
No steps should not be

Srl is not correct radiator

Not true to form niches. On the wing nor any hatches and panels to overlap

Wrong intake and tunnel. Not quite correct pad. Error with a straight wing-lantern-hood (they must be on one line) Guides guns also are not true.

Angry
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2015, 02:01:36 PM »

Thank you, Johann! This is interesting, and your images help to check and correct (if possible) some of these errors. Some of them appear to be small and easy to repair - do you know of any other errors? I tried to check the Lavochkin forum on Scalemodels.ru, but found only one thread about this kit which did not discuss it in detail. Perhaps there is something on on of the Czech or German forums?

John
Johann

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2015, 02:28:00 PM »

Unfortunately ... just everything that I have cast a cursory examination of this photograph. I'll try to call a friend and the store owner if you have any interest will describe more detail
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: