Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
I-16 with VVS isignia
Sovietwarplanes
April 18, 2024, 08:13:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I-16 with VVS isignia  (Read 4398 times)
Audrius

« on: July 03, 2007, 07:25:39 AM »

hello,
probably most of you are aware with the picture of really nice I-16 (type10) with very odd camo and VVS insignia on the tail.
It could be found in "In Action" for example.

This I-16 was captured by Germans in the beginning of GPW.

On the recent days on *bay another picture of the same a/c was tracked. This one:

Nice, isn't it? Smiley
It seems that German solders has tried to tear off the VVS insignia , but left it.  So we have a beautiful prototype for a model and color profile.

BTW, what is your ideas regarding camo? Was painted with green over the white or vice versa?

p.s.
and of course we got a "nose" of our beloved Mig in the background Smiley

BR Audrius
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 07:28:07 AM by Audrius » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 08:03:37 AM »

Hi, Smiley
the darker color looks added on. So, the base color could be white (or very light grey, or silver).
This is a bit strange, because the style of photos gives the idea of summer 1941 with abundance of Russian captured planes and wrecks. So, when and why the I-16 was painted with a light color? Was this the use of any flight school?
And who knows if the winged symbol means this?
Thank you for sharing this image, Audrius. I love this plane.
Massimo
Audrius

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 07:54:58 AM »

hi Massimo
this sign on the tail resembles very much the insignia of VVS.

It was a difference in signs depending on the speciallity inside of VVS.

This profile of the same I-16 was published InAction.

BR Audrius
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 09:29:40 AM »

Hi, Smiley
thank you.
I suppose that the plane had some non mimetic overall silver finish with marking for demonstrative flights, and was camouflaged in an hurry at the war outbreak.
The abundance of trainers let me think that this was from a flight school. Is it possible to know where the images were taken?
Massimo
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: