Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Balashov's Yak-3 1/72 Completed
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 02:22:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Balashov's Yak-3 1/72 Completed  (Read 2595 times)
dancho

« on: May 09, 2015, 07:32:47 PM »

This is the Hobbyboss kit, the first in a number of Soviet aircraft that I'm intending to build with the help of this forum and the information on this site.

The winged sword image on the nose and the number "10" came from Authentic Decals sheet 72-53.  The stars with "silver" outlines came from an old Aeromaster sheet (72074) of Soviet national insignia. The Authentic Decals were very good, EXCEPT for a major "engineering" problem in that the very finely printed inscriptions or stencil markings were printed with clear film covered only the letters or individual words. In theory, this would work but in practice it was hopeless. The individual letters/words just tangled up into a jumble and became impossible to apply. Really, a tiny block of print should have a "block" of clear film around it to hold the letters in place.  Sometimes what sounds good (minimum clear film) has to be evaluated on the basis of practical usage.

After the block of lettering for Suraveshkin's aircraft was destroyed trying to apply it, I had to change my plan and choose another set of markings. I went with the boring-yet-representative "white 10" which is described on the instruction sheet as being flown by Capt. G. S. Balashov.

The colors of these aircraft were, as we all know now, DARK. Now, I am very hesitant to buy a new brand of paint. My methods work with certain acrylics but not others. So I mixed Modelmaster Acryl to match my "eyeball" evaluation of the AMT-11,12, and 7 that are applied here. The paints were applied with brushes, using a "stippling" technique to make it appear that the colors were sprayed on using a big spray gun in a bit of hurry. Grin The "panel lines" were drawn in using an ordinary pencil and the "shading" was done using Microbrush and ground charcoal pencil.

I really, really liked the Authentic Decals. They appear to be Russian in origin and they seemed to have nearly perfect color and registration. The only problem was the lack of adequate clear film which was really a shame. A coat of Microscale Liquid Decal Film or Krylon Clear Acrylic or a similar clear varnish is required. I have a Hasegawa Yak-3 which will get some of these decals, as well as a Dakoplast Yak-9T that I'm really excited about.  As I'm building these, I'll be hanging around here asking questions posting updates.
learstang

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 08:22:43 PM »

Beautiful Yak-3, Dan! I look forward to the Yak-9T - have to love that little aeroplane with that enormous cannon, what a little beast!

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: