Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
1/48 Modelsvit Yak-1b 1943 ''Normandie Niemen"
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 09:00:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: 1/48 Modelsvit Yak-1b 1943 ''Normandie Niemen"  (Read 18817 times)
4bogreen

« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2016, 05:01:33 PM »

Hi guys!

I am now on to the painting and decal process. I see there is a lot of discussion on the colors and numbers. I have seen a proposel of the white camouflage, that KL made. Very intresting and a possibility. I will post photo's soon!

On the bench,
-Eduard 1/48 Messerschmitt BF109E-4 ZG-1
-Eduard 1/48 Spitfire MK.Vb 57 GIAP, Kuban
4bogreen

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2016, 08:13:05 AM »

It has been a long time ago, but progress has been made. i was working around the clock to finnish the plane before the Dutch IPMS contest. i didn't made it, but that's OK. Now i have the time to work on it, without any haste. Because i worked every free minute on it, i have a lot to show....

All fitted...

I painted the Yak in AMT-4 Green, AMT-6 black and the belly AMT-7 blue. Colours are from Akan. It was a challenge to cover the maintenance hatches on the sides. I used some sponge material and locked it with some wire to hold it in to place.

Unfortunately the numbers are not correct. After reading Xan's topic, i decided i go for number 30. This special numbering i don't have for planes, but i have rub-on decals for Soviet tanks. The 1/35 numbering fits the size of the numbers on the plane. Lucky me! I have the 0, but not the 3. After some mix and matching, i could make the 3 from cutting up the 6 and 7 digits

...and it works!

But disaster strikes. When i wanted to add the last decals of the sharkmouth, it fragmented in pieces. Although i was devastated, i had two options. Buy another decal sheet and hope for the best, or spray the sharkmouth on the model. this is uncharted territory for me, but i wanted to give it a try.

First i had to make the shape of the mouth...

...sprayed it all white...

...taped the teeth and on to the red...

...and then the black outlining.

I was happy with the results.  Cheesy

And then i was off to the winter camouflagge. This was a difficult thing, but i am convinced by KL's saying about beeing a disruptive camouflage instead of weathered off winter camouflage. so i sprayed a very light layer of Vallejo white with the airbrush. I used Panzerputty for a soft ege look...

...then i went with the oils of 502 Abteilung faded UN white

And this is the story so far. I hope you like it!

Remco

On the bench,
KL

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2016, 06:38:36 PM »

Hi Remco,
good to see my interpretation realized in plastic! It looks great!

I agree with Xan regarding the number 30; everything points to that number.

Regarding the camouflage, disruptive winter camouflage makes an interesting story:  
By its factory serial, it's certain that this particular Yak left factory in temporary white finish. Unlike other Normandie Yaks which were washed at the end of April (from memoirs), de la Poype's Yak was washed earlier and then camouflaged in disruptive winter camouflage. This type of camouflage could have been appropriate for end of March and April when snow thaws quickly. Again from memoirs, we know that winter 1942/43 ended abruptly in third week of March with typical "rasputitsa" - it was muddy, slushy snow everywhere.  Still, patches of snow remained for most of the April. By the beginning of May, French aviators admired blossoms and green Russian spring...

IMHO, there should be more white on wings. check this photo:

That could be the original factory white on the outer wing!

Regards,
KL  
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 06:05:45 AM by KL » Logged
xan

« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2016, 10:21:37 PM »

Very nice to see KL interpratation in a model indeed.
It's possible and an interesting choise...
but I didn't do it  Smiley

Xan

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2016, 08:02:21 AM »

Hi Remco,
your model is very good-looking. I like particularly the work made on the masking and painting of the shark(or what it is)mouth. Probably it adheres to the curved surface much better than any decal.

About the story of the camouflage of the plane: a small detail in the photo is interesting and of difficult interpretation. On the leading edge of the photo of the real plane, the division between the white and the black part of the wing has a very small white step going under the black band.

This can suggest that the white winter paint was selectively deleted from the inner part of the wing, including the leading edge, or that the wing and leading edge were retouched or repainted with blue and black. A partial repainting seems coherent with the semigloss look of the black paint over the wing. For comparison, the blue part of the leading edge seems to have still traces of white paint.

Regards
Massimo
Markino

« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2016, 03:20:47 PM »

Great job Remco!! My congratulations!

Ciao!

Marco

"If you want to get what you want
 you need to get rid of the need."
4bogreen

« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2016, 09:33:37 AM »

Hi Guys,

Xan- That's the beauty of modeling, we all got our own interpetation. Your post solved a lot of mistery and a lot of time, so it was very usefull. The plane that you made looks very nice! i like it a lot!

KL- In Xan's post i read carefully and examined the photo's a lot. I came to the conclusion that the disruptive camouflage is very possible. So you made the drawing and i looked the Galchenko photo's for comparrison. I have made the withe on the wings larger by painting the next blotch also white. So i didn't made the whole wing white, with only the wingtips in the black or green camouflage (its a disruptive camouflage. If i paint the whole wing white, it will look a bit odd). I also made the tip of the elevator more white. I have seen this on the photo to. Also i came to the conclusion that the spinner is not just white, but it has the French roundel on it! Red white and a small blue dot on the tip.

Massimo- I think its the AMT blue undersurface with  a small residue of the white (or green chips) on the leading ege.

Markino- Thanks!

Regards,

Remco

On the bench,
4bogreen

« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2016, 06:15:02 PM »

Busy with the fuel indicators on the wings  Cheesy
I damaged the Armory indicators, so i had to scratchbuild the whole indicator...

Regards,

Remco

On the bench,
4bogreen

« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2016, 04:00:48 PM »

Exhausts placed. I painted them with Alclad exhaust manifold. The landing gear indicators are painted red. I used a thick metal data cable wire. To weather the colors a bit and to tone the white down, i used the Mig filters. Brown for dark green on the white parts (to create a shine throu look) and dark grey for white on the undersurface (to create a smokey and stained basecolor)

I hope you like it!

On the bench,
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2016, 07:06:33 AM »

Hi Remco,
yes, the model is very nice. Only, I don't understand your decision to paint those white bands on the fuselage. None of the photos show them.
Regards
Massimo
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: