Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Hobby Boss 1/72 La-7
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 11:29:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Hobby Boss 1/72 La-7  (Read 22568 times)
Dave

guaranteed varnished nutcase

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2007, 02:49:57 AM »

I have a hobbyboss wildcat on the go, for curiosity and the need for a Wildcat in my collection.

I also have NEARLY finished my A-model Yak-1 "Yellow 44", and will post the YouTube link when it's done! I enjoy making videos of the aces planes (not that my model skills until recently have been that great).
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2007, 04:51:42 PM »

How does the Wildcat look? I believe the reviewer on Internet Modeler said some good things about it. Do you have a Hasegawa Wildcat to compare it with?

Well done, regarding the Amodel Yak-1! It's a nice kit, although not an easy kit to complete; maybe your success will push me finally toward painting mine!  Cheesy

John
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2007, 08:23:35 PM »

The HB La-7 is finally in stock at HobbyLink Japan - here's the page with box art image:
http://www.hlj.com/product/HOB80236

Impossible to tell anything from one picture, but it does at least look like a La-7!

John
Dave

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2007, 05:24:25 AM »

Besides the canopy, it does looks good. Any idea whose plane?

I can't say the same for their Dewoitine D.520, having just received the wonderful Hasegawa kit in the post!

As for that yak-1 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAQ_L-r4MiQ

Cheers,
Dave ;-)
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2007, 06:42:35 PM »

The box art shows Ivan Kozhedub's aircraft; no idea what alternate markings the kit might include. I'm hoping to have it in my hands within a couple of weeks, with a bit of luck, so I'll post an update then. I have a nasty suspicion from a couple of details visible in the image that it owes a lot to the Eduard kit, but obviously I'm jumping the gun unfairly by suggesting criticism without having the kit in front of me. HobbyBoss's web site is useless - the English version hasn't been updated in months.

Good work on the Yak-1, and your video is great - very professional-looking, and a worthy tribute to a brave and skillful pilot!

John
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2007, 09:06:17 AM »

Hi, Smiley
I've built the Hobbyboss Me-109 E and G during my holidays, and I'm quite satisfied with them, if one don't look for cockpit details. A thing to do is to pass the flaps, elevators etc division lines with a sharp knife, thery're thin as other panels. Some small works with antennas and coolers inlet of G and the addition of back armours were necessary.
Isn't the D-520 a good kit? Please, let me know more.
Massimo
Dave

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2007, 02:16:25 PM »

The box art shows Ivan Kozhedub's aircraft; no idea what alternate markings the kit might include. I'm hoping to have it in my hands within a couple of weeks, with a bit of luck, so I'll post an update then. I have a nasty suspicion from a couple of details visible in the image that it owes a lot to the Eduard kit, but obviously I'm jumping the gun unfairly by suggesting criticism without having the kit in front of me. HobbyBoss's web site is useless - the English version hasn't been updated in months.

Good work on the Yak-1, and your video is great - very professional-looking, and a worthy tribute to a brave and skillful pilot!

John

So did sdomeone just sit down with an Eduard and take measurements? Does this type of thing happen often in the model world?

Thanks for the compliment.

Dave.
Dave

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2007, 02:22:29 PM »

Hi, Smiley
I've built the Hobbyboss Me-109 E and G during my holidays, and I'm quite satisfied with them, if one don't look for cockpit details. A thing to do is to pass the flaps, elevators etc division lines with a sharp knife, thery're thin as other panels. Some small works with antennas and coolers inlet of G and the addition of back armours were necessary.
Isn't the D-520 a good kit? Please, let me know more.
Massimo

Just judging from the box art the Hobbyboss d.520 looks a bit... chunky, but I can't tell for sure Undecided. I'm building the Hasegawa at the moment Grin and its brilliant. So easy to put together! Came with good decals for an ace I was after.

Thanks for the advice on hobbyboss me109 Smiley

Dave.
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2007, 07:55:17 PM »

So did sdomeone just sit down with an Eduard and take measurements? Does this type of thing happen often in the model world?

Dave.

Who knows? For years, Academy was accused of copying the kits of other manufacturers, but I was always skeptical about that. Now it's Hobby Boss. Sometimes one kit may look like a copy of another because both manufacturers have used the same incorrect reference material, I suppose. I think a kit designer would be failing to do his job if he wasn't familiar with what's already on the market, so he could try to improve on kits that are already available. Although I'm certainly opposed to "theft of intellectual property", I try to give them the benefit of the doubt until I see something that could be considered proof of copying. Having said all that, there *are* some odd similarities between the Hasegawa Yak-3 and the HB version, but the HB kit also has some strange errors all its own, too. Did they both just use the same bad reference information? Did HB add its own errors to throw the hounds off the scent? Again, who knows? This will sound ridiculous, but my "nasty suspicion" about the HB La-7 was based only on the shape of the aerial stub on the leading edge of the fin. It has the same strange shape that this detail has on the Eduard kit, and it's a shape that I've never seen in any drawing or photograph, or at least, it's a greatly exaggerated version of the actual shape. So, in spite of my pretended objectivity, I really was prejudging the kit on the basis of not-very-good (but photographic) box art and a tiny detail that most people would overlook or ignore. Mea culpa...  Embarrassed It's even (remotely) possible that HB used the Eduard kit for the box art photo for some unknowable reason, and their own kit will be totally different.

Anyway, I'm hopeful that HobbyLink Japan will deliver the real thing quickly, and then I can post some *sensible* comments about it. Or as close to "sensible" as my comments ever get - I'm still embarrassed about how wildly I praised the AML La-5UTI as soon as I opened the box, before I started trying to *build* it - love does strange things to the human mind!  Wink

John
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2007, 08:36:03 AM »

Hi John, Smiley
have you abandoned the La-5UTI model?
Hi Dave, Smiley
I appreciated the Hobbyboss Me-109s for a psicologic reason, in particular. They led quickly to the painting phase, and this is important for one that, detailing or correcting a kit, is already tired at the moment to paint it. Besides, being very cheap, it allows to ignore regrets as "If I had to correct...".
So, I think that I'll buy the D-520, if it is at least decent. The Hasegawa kit costs about as 4 Hobbyboss here.
Massimo
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2007, 02:40:35 AM »

Hi Massimo! No, I haven't abandoned the La-5UTI completely; I just haven't had much modelbuilding time lately, and I'm still concentrating what little time I do have on the HB Yak-3. Last week I was on vacation, and took my daughter canoeing/fishing/horseback riding, and also spent a day at Toronto's Canadian National Exhibition. As I think I might have said before, despite all the problems with the UTI (mainly because of the horrible cockpit), I'm still hopeful that the AML La-5 single-seaters will be easier to build!

John
Dave

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2007, 03:53:24 AM »

Hi John, Smiley
have you abandoned the La-5UTI model?
Hi Dave, Smiley
I appreciated the Hobbyboss Me-109s for a psicologic reason, in particular. They led quickly to the painting phase, and this is important for one that, detailing or correcting a kit, is already tired at the moment to paint it. Besides, being very cheap, it allows to ignore regrets as "If I had to correct...".
So, I think that I'll buy the D-520, if it is at least decent. The Hasegawa kit costs about as 4 Hobbyboss here.
Massimo

Ah but the Hasegawa is also a joy to build (no cockpit detail or open canopy for that matter), if a little pricey. I did make the Smer D.520 last year Embarrassed
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2007, 11:02:43 PM »

Just as an update on the status of my La-7 and P-39Q order with HobbyLink Japan, I *finally* got a shipping notification *two weeks* after placing my order for these items, and then only after I e-mailed them to ask why the order was delayed. Both of the kits were supposedly in stock at the time I ordered. This is not the fast service we're used to from European on-line shops like Modelimex, Jadar, Hobbyterra, and Model Hobbies, or from NKR in Australia. Although it is somewhat better than Aviapress...  Wink

Anyway, since I specified "Surface Air Lift" as the shipping method, it will probably be another month before I actually see the kits!

John
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2007, 01:07:32 AM »

Now in stock at Hannants, and probably Model Hobbies soon, too, if not already:
http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/?FULL=HB80236

Now I *am* sorry I ordered from HobbyLink Japan!  Angry

John
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2007, 11:44:05 AM »

Hi, Smiley
it will be interesting to compare it (the outside only, of course) with the kit of Eduard.
Massimo
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: