Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Hobby Boss 1/72 La-7
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 01:51:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Hobby Boss 1/72 La-7  (Read 22569 times)
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« on: July 14, 2007, 02:10:31 AM »

HobbyLink Japan has this kit listed for July release - I'm hopeful that it will be closer in quality and accuracy to HB's MiG-3 than to their Yak-3!

John
Libor Jekl

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 09:09:35 AM »

Hi John!  Smiley

I would also think in that way; however, why to bother with HB when there is almost perfect La-7 kit out there which might result in pretty quick assembly and costs just few bucks more than HB kits?  Grin
I think the MiG-3 is a special case here and I am afraid an exception that probably would not be repeated, they obviously used some models/references from Trumpeter 1/32 kit? The other HB's kit I saw are miles behind... Anyway, look forward to see the La-7 and the other ones as well!

Best wishes,
Libor
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 12:23:11 PM »

Hi, Smiley
I would add that the Me-109E looks very good too, expecially if compared to its price, better than their more simplified Me-109G.
The main advantage of MiG-3 of HB is the lack of strong concurrency, and probably the work previously done on the 1/32 Trumpeter model.
However, I'm somewhat curious to see the new La-7. However, the Eduard kit is relatively cheap too, and I suppose that the HB will be a simplified copy of it.
Their Mirage III, 1/48, is an usual kit of good quality and low price, and their Leopard tank, 1/35, is fully comparable to the last Trumpeter kits.
Massimo
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 11:22:47 PM »

Hi John! Smiley

I would also think in that way; however, why to bother with HB when there is almost perfect La-7 kit out there which might result in pretty quick assembly and costs just few bucks more than HB kits? Grin
I think the MiG-3 is a special case here and I am afraid an exception that probably would not be repeated, they obviously used some models/references from Trumpeter 1/32 kit? The other HB's kit I saw are miles behind... Anyway, look forward to see the La-7 and the other ones as well!

Best wishes,
Libor

Hi Libor! I hope all is well with you! Yes, I agree with your reasoning about the MiG-3 - we can thank Trumpeter for guiding Hobby Boss toward a more accurate kit. Regarding the La-7, well, you know what I'm like - all I really wanted was a cheap source of cowlings to saw off to improve my beloved La-5's, and cutting up the Eduard La-7 would be a shame...  Wink (Speaking of La-5's, I've hardly touched the AML La-5UTI in weeks - I can NOT get the cockpit to work out at all. Maybe the La-5F and La-5FN will be easier, with only half as many seats and instrument panels! Any news about when AML will release these? My Hobby Boss Yak-3 is nearly finished...)

Cheers!
John
Libor Jekl

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 01:10:11 PM »

Hi John,

Thanks, we're doing well!
Yes, I understand regarding the cowling source  Grin But perhaps somebody could help you to make as many resin copies of the La-7 cowlings as you want  Cheesy
No news about AML La-5's though, I spoke with them few weeks ago and they only confirmed the subscription "Slovak uprising" boxing in "early autumn", with the other version apparently coming soon afterwards.

Cheers,
Libor
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 03:26:28 PM »

Regarding the La-7, well, you know what I'm like - all I really wanted was a cheap source of cowlings to saw off to improve my beloved La-5's, and cutting up the Eduard La-7 would be a shame... 
Hi, this don't look a too good idea to me. The cowling of La-5 is not really cylindrical, only his internal structure is. It should be somewhat protruding on sides, as you can see on photos. Besides, I am not sure that the external diameter is exactly the same, even if the engine is the same. It should be checked. On my side, I suggest to add a nail of plastic and cyanoacrilate or putty on the cowling side and to work by file.
Massimo
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 04:39:39 PM »

Good point, Massimo - the La-7 cowling would really only suit the La-5FN, not the earlier members of the La-5 family. I'm optimistic that the HB La-7 will be a beautiful kit!

Libor - thanks for the AML update! As usual, I continue to be optimistic that the single-seat versions of the kit will be less difficult than the UTI. The cockpit of the UTI is very challenging, but maybe it's just my lack of skill (and time!) that makes it seem that way. Do you know *anyone* who has actually finished this kit?

John
Libor Jekl

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 12:09:59 PM »

Yes, I know a guy who builds this kit for a review purpose for a local modelling mag. What I learned from him so far is pretty much the same what you've described here (bad fit of cockpit parts). Anyway, he should get the kit built at this time, so I'll ask at earliest convenience how it progressed.
Are going to use the kit's undercarriage parts?

Cheers,
Libor
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2007, 12:35:26 AM »

HobbyLink Japan has this kit listed for July release - I'm hopeful that it will be closer in quality and accuracy to HB's MiG-3 than to their Yak-3!

John

HLJ has now updated the La-7 release date to August...  Sad

John
Dave

guaranteed varnished nutcase

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2007, 07:00:01 AM »

Hi, Smiley
I would add that the Me-109E looks very good too, expecially if compared to its price, better than their more simplified Me-109G.
The main advantage of MiG-3 of HB is the lack of strong concurrency, and probably the work previously done on the 1/32 Trumpeter model.
However, I'm somewhat curious to see the new La-7. However, the Eduard kit is relatively cheap too, and I suppose that the HB will be a simplified copy of it.
Their Mirage III, 1/48, is an usual kit of good quality and low price, and their Leopard tank, 1/35, is fully comparable to the last Trumpeter kits.
Massimo

Have you seen the ICM 109E-3 and E-4? I just made the E-3 and am very impressed by the level of detail (and ease of fit for an ICM). I wonder is this the best kit in 1/72 and is it an original mould?
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2007, 10:24:15 PM »

Hi, Smiley
I've seen it in the shop, really excellent, but at a first look I think that it's a copy of the Tamiya model.
I have no doubt that Tamiya or ICM Me-109E are better than Hobbyboss to make a single model, but now I am considering to make small thematic collections (I'm building 5 MiG-3, for example) and the cheapness and easy of fit become important in this respect.
Massimo
Dave

guaranteed varnished nutcase

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2007, 04:13:19 PM »

Cheers. I am still wary of Hobbyboss, but I suppose I must try one someday.
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2007, 04:29:48 PM »

Regarding the La-7, well, you know what I'm like - all I really wanted was a cheap source of cowlings to saw off to improve my beloved La-5's, and cutting up the Eduard La-7 would be a shame...
Hi, this don't look a too good idea to me. The cowling of La-5 is not really cylindrical, only his internal structure is. It should be somewhat protruding on sides, as you can see on photos. Besides, I am not sure that the external diameter is exactly the same, even if the engine is the same. It should be checked. On my side, I suggest to add a nail of plastic and cyanoacrilate or putty on the cowling side and to work by file.
Massimo

Thanks, Massimo - it does seem that the La-7 cowling is "straighter" than the La-5, even the La-5FN. I was looking at the KP La-5FN kit last night, and in spite of all the years I've complained about wanting some manufacturer to release a new La-5 of any version, the old KP kit really is quite good in many ways, including the cowling. It seems to have just the right bulged appearance on the sides. Yes, it has raised panel lines, but the Lavochkins had so few panel lines that this really doesn't matter very much! I do love those Lavochkin and LaGG fighters, and I bless VES/Cooperativa, KP, Eduard, and Toko/Roden for giving them to us! (Just bought the Eduard La-7 "Dual Combo" - nice coloured photoetch and "Kabuki tape" pre-cut paint masks in this kit!) Cheesy

John
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 04:32:03 PM by John Thompson » Logged
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2007, 06:54:34 PM »

Cheers. I am still wary of Hobbyboss, but I suppose I must try one someday.

As we know, the MiG-3 is a real gem, and our two amazingly-talented Czech friends, Libor and Jan ("Honza Jezl") have certainly proven that it can be built into a beautiful model. I had a lot of criticism for the Yak-3 when I first saw it, but when I actually started building it, I found it to be quite satisfying - it requires so little dry-fitting and assembly work that you can enjoy correcting a few errors in the kit itself! (No, it's not finished yet - I'm spending too much time playing with this computer!  Wink) I'm optimistic that the La-7 will be quite good too.

John
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2007, 04:13:47 PM »

SEPTEMBER release, now...  Angry

John
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: