Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Hobby Boss 1/72 La-7
Sovietwarplanes
April 20, 2024, 06:48:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hobby Boss 1/72 La-7  (Read 22653 times)
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2007, 02:40:08 AM »

The Hobby Boss 1/72 La-7 arrived more quickly than I expected, so my apologies to HobbyLink Japan for my impatience.

Summing up this kit is quite easy ? if you liked the Eduard 1/72 La-7, then you?ll like the Hobby Boss kit, though perhaps not quite as much. In fact, Eduard may want to consider requesting some consulting fees from Hobby Boss.

The kit is designed in the by-now familiar Hobby Boss way ? one-piece fuselage, one-piece wings, with the whole fuselage underside molded with the wings. This allows more empty interior space than some of the first Hobby Boss kits, so detailing of the cockpit would be an easier task than was the case with the MiG-3, for example. The wings match the Eduard wings almost exactly in outline and details, although the Hobby Boss wings, being solid, lack the engine air intakes at the leading edge of the wing roots. The fuselage is also very similar, with only minor variation from the Eduard kit in the area of the cooling flaps on the sides of the cowling. The joint line between the wings and fuselage is exactly like the Eduard kit; so much so that you could use the Hobby Boss wings on the Eduard fuselage (if you removed the extended sections which form the fuselage undersides), and vice versa.

The trailing edges of the wings are disappointingly thick, and will take some careful work to make them thinner without damaging either the flaps or the wing joint reinforcement on the upper sides. All control surfaces have very excessive rib detail, especially the rudder and the elevators. The one-piece prop is reasonable, but the spinner, which is separate from the prop, has the same odd pointed-looking appearance as the Eduard spinner. Numerous other small parts are similar to those in the Eduard kit, too, although there is an error in the shape of the main landing gear doors which is unique to the Hobby Boss kit.

The kit includes parts to build both 2-gun and 3-gun La-7s. Decals are included for Kozhedub?s ?White 27? and Golovachev?s ?White 23?, though these are reversed on the instruction sheet, and both are shown as 3-gun versions, when in fact both were 2-gun aircraft. The decals look reasonably good, although the ?kill marking? stars provided for Kozhedub are printed in a pale yellow colour. The cowling faces show an incorrect understanding of how the cooling vanes behind the prop operated, but it seems that this was done to provide a way of mounting the propeller assembly while adding a bit of (questionable) detail. At least Hobby Boss didn?t represent these as fan blades, as on a FW-190.

The kit includes only a one-piece, closed canopy ? no open canopy option on this kit. A thin metal pin is provided as a propeller shaft ? at first I thought it was a small piece of tubing, intended to be used as a pitot tube.

In summary, I guess I?m disappointed in this kit. While I can?t say that it?s an outright copy of the Eduard La-7, there are many similarities between them. I was hoping for something completely new and different, but this isn?t it!

John
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2007, 07:03:50 AM »

Hi, Smiley
from your description, it's in line with my expectations. Let's say that, if one can convive with the shape errors of Eduard, the Hobbyboss kit could be useful for a quick and cheap thematic collection, maybe utilizing decals advanced from Eduard kit.
Massimo
Renato71

« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2007, 05:05:38 PM »

John, thanks for your description. I have to admit this thread became tense like the grand finale of some tournament!
Bit sad on the results. I kept my fingers crossed, but it looks that my KP and Eduard kits (2 and 5 pcs respectively) will not be replaced by Hobby Boss after all.

Also, due to Avalon's work and infos, I somehow developed hope that KP will retools and fix their kits, but to be on a realistic side, I don't think it will happen. They are developing their MiG-23BN for a loooong time now, and those "re-toolings" of MiG-19 and -21 by Mastercraft are more like step in a backward direction, despite engraved lines. Theres total lack of riveting details which were like best part of KP's kits.

It looks like we will have to live with what we have, and hope that guys like Avalon will make some attractive decals that will pimp-up our radial engined babies? Grin

Cheers!

Renato
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2007, 10:39:15 PM »

Bit sad on the results. I kept my fingers crossed, but it looks that my KP and Eduard kits (2 and 5 pcs respectively) will not be replaced by Hobby Boss after all.

Hi, Smiley
should I have 5 kits of Eduard La-7 to build, I would be sadder if a new kit makes them obsolete.
Massimo
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: