Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Bort number color for MiG-21MT
Sovietwarplanes
April 19, 2024, 07:03:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bort number color for MiG-21MT  (Read 15020 times)
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2015, 05:41:48 PM »

If I don't miss, many MiG-21, 23, 25 were painted in uniform light grey. Couldn't the same color have been utilized for camo planes, or preserved when the camo was added on an existing grey plane?
Regards
Massimo
AC26

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2015, 08:00:23 PM »

If I don't miss, many MiG-21, 23, 25 were painted in uniform light grey. Couldn't the same color have been utilized for camo planes, or preserved when the camo was added on an existing grey plane?
Regards
Massimo
Hi!

Few Finnish MiG-21F's were overhauled at the Soviet Union. They had before the overhaul lacquered and showing the different shaded panels. In the overhaul they were painted silver-grey unifrm colour. It has been said to show that the plane was overhauled. What was the reason f grey especially in the later types is unknown for me.

Cheers,

AaCee
Seawinder

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2015, 11:37:16 PM »

I forgot to add: If you look at the first picture that I posted, of white 61, I figured that is probably more or less what white 14 would have looked like while operational. If my guess is correct, it is quite clear from the walkaround of white 14 that the individual colours faded differently and at different rates... I was aiming to more or less match the colours that I see in the picture of white 61.

I think it's a somewhat similar scheme -- The light brown (sand), light green and olive drab all seem to match my interpretation of the scheme on Bort 14; but I don't think the very dark olive green (which I'm guessing is replicated by AKAN 63024) was used on it, being replaced instead by patches of the dark chocolate brown. BTW, I'm pretty confident that the AKAN Sand and Dark Brown colors are good matches. As I said above, you might want to check out AKAN 63055 as a possible candidate for the light green color.

Yes, I'm aiming for fresher, less faded colors. The model is presently gloss-coated while I apply the numerous stencils. (Whether or not they should be present is probably controversial, but some of the walkaround photos do show traces of blue and red stencils, so I'm proceeding). I'll post a couple of photos once she's flat-coated and gives a better impression of the paint job.
bbrought

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2015, 01:21:51 AM »

Thanks, Pip. I don't have 63055, but it does look like an option - I may have to get some. I am interested to see how yours come out, so it will be much appreciated if you could post a picture or two.

BA Broughton
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2015, 06:40:14 AM »

Hi,
Few Finnish MiG-21F's were overhauled at the Soviet Union. They had before the overhaul lacquered and showing the different shaded panels. In the overhaul they were painted silver-grey unifrm colour. It has been said to show that the plane was overhauled. What was the reason f grey especially in the later types is unknown for me.
this is a Soviet practise of '50s and later. But I was thinking to a non-metallic light grey. I've photos somewhere of grey MiG-21s in the '70s, as well MiG-23s that, for what I know, never wore an aluminium livery. Probably it's the standard grey of MiG-25. I'm not sure that it's the same of MiG-31.
Regards
Massimo
Seawinder

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2015, 07:32:47 PM »

Thanks, Pip. I don't have 63055, but it does look like an option - I may have to get some. I am interested to see how yours come out, so it will be much appreciated if you could post a picture or two.

Hi Bennie. Sorry for the long delay, but here are a couple of bench photos as promised. I'm trying to get the model finished for this Friday -- touch and go.

Paints: AKAN 83023 Blue-Grey, AKAN 63080 Sand, Mr. Color 303 FS 34102, Mr. Color 304 FS 34087, AKAN 83026 Dark Brown.

HTH. Pip
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: