Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
P-39 Red-nose Cobras from 129 giap
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 11:48:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: P-39 Red-nose Cobras from 129 giap  (Read 13471 times)
66misos

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

« on: August 16, 2015, 09:15:35 PM »

Hi,
here I started work on P-39 flown by E.P. Marinskij from 129 giap. Pictures are linked from scalemodels.ru:

His plane is usually drawn with blue-painted gun cover on the nose (and blue disc under the star).

Still some confusion on the picture - mostly: were red stars on the upperwing or not?
Red star on the fuselage looks like "US version" without thin red outline, although local Soviet repainting cannot be excluded.
Regards,
   66misos
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 02:59:51 PM by 66misos » Logged

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 11:09:11 PM »

Hi Misos,
looks good as usual.
I'm surprised for the victory starlets on both sides.
Is it normal that the stars on the wings are so large?
Regards
Massimo
66misos

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 06:48:50 PM »

Hi Massimo,
so I browsed google, yandex, this forum and made this overview, how could red stars on the late Cobras looks like:

Sorry for a big picture, but I wanted to have all options in one place.

Red stars could be also on the upperwings (again, it is about late Cobras) but they were not so often (and moreover without white disc) as the upperwings without red stars.

Interesting detail - in red stars were painted already in US (and probably also by US technicians in Abadan), the original USAF marking or "Bell Transport" marking was repainted by original US paints (OD and NG) and red stars had only white outline.
If "Bell Transport" marking was repainted by VVS technicians, white discs were repainted most probably by Soviet paints (green AMT-4, light blue AMT-7) and red stars had standard white and red outline.
Of course, there were also local exceptions like other Soviet paints, red outline added to the In-US-painted red stars with only white outline etc.

Red star was repainted original white star and white disc had the same diameter as original blue disc. Therefore added white outline (masked stripe of the white disc alongside the red star arms plus a little white triangle added outside the disc) increased total size of the star, which exceed quite far from the original disc and made it quite a big one.

Regards,
   66misos

KL

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 03:20:22 AM »

Interesting detail - in red stars were painted already in US (and probably also by US technicians in Abadan), the original USAF marking or "Bell Transport" marking was repainted by original US paints (OD and NG) and red stars had only white outline.
If "Bell Transport" marking was repainted by VVS technicians, white discs were repainted most probably by Soviet paints (green AMT-4, light blue AMT-7) and red stars had standard white and red outline.
Of course, there were also local exceptions like other Soviet paints, red outline added to the In-US-painted red stars with only white outline etc.

Red star was repainted original white star and white disc had the same diameter as original blue disc. Therefore added white outline (masked stripe of the white disc alongside the red star arms plus a little white triangle added outside the disc) increased total size of the star, which exceed quite far from the original disc and made it quite a big one.

Following photo and caption refer to ALSIB planes in general:

From this book:

In my understanding, the author says that white discs appeared in January 1944 and they were replaced by standard VVS Red Star (outlined with white and thin red lines) from late September 1944.

Somewhere in the book, can't remember where, author says that stars with white discs had been painted in the Buffalo factory and that VVS red stars had been painted by Americans either in Great Falls, Montana, or in Alaska (i.e. either at the beginning of the route or at its end).

Normally, P-39s would have reached SSSR with american painted VVS red stars, not with "transit markings".  White discs were rare in VVS - probably a few airplanes that reached Alaska with white discs and then were rushed to SSSR.

White discs may actually indicate airplanes that were test flown in US and then were sent to SSSR by ships - this may explain why P-39 preserved in Finland has markings with white discs...  Huh  Huh  

HTH,
KL
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 03:39:54 AM by KL » Logged
66misos

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 03:06:53 PM »

Hi KL,
thank you for interesting picture and info.
My understanding is following (at least regarding ASLIB route):

1.) US factories started with red stars without black outlines:

2.) then continued with white discs under red stars:
P-39Q-25 en route to Alaska:

Delivered also via Southern route to Abadan, example Sukhov's P-30 "50",

3.) And final US version was red star with white outline, without thin red outline, as example late-war P-63:

Plus there were sometime/somewhere deviation from these "standards".

P-39s have reached SSSR mostly with american painted VVS red stars, less frequent was "transit markings" with the white discs.
And rarely P-39s came with USAF marking which was locally repainted:

P-39 assembled in Abadan from parts delivered in crates by ships:

...White discs may actually indicate airplanes that were test flown in US and then were sent to SSSR by ships...
No, see picture in your post  Wink
Regards,
  66misos

66misos

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 06:58:39 PM »

Hi,
another remarks at VIF airforce.ru forum - Marinskij's P-39 should look same like N.I. Glotov's P-39 from the same 129 giap and the same period:

e.g. red propeller spinner and front part of the nose untill guns.

On this photo:

is not visible repainting standard USAF marking that time (white rectangles on sides) and it is not evident, whether red star has also red outline or not.

EDIT - WIP picture deleted.

Regards,
  66misos
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 09:32:44 PM by 66misos » Logged

KL

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 01:16:15 AM »

Hi Misos, 

It looks that you already have a clear understanding about Airacobra's markings. Smiley

BTW, photo above is irrelevant for Airacobra's markings....  Last Airacobras were rolled out from Buffalo factory in June 1944 and they were flown to Alaska in August 1944. Swich to standard VVS markings was made at the end of September, on P-63 Kingcobras. So, last Airacobras must have had "transit markings" (red stars in white disks).

Question for you:  out of 4446 Airacobras delivered to SSSR, more than half were delivered through ALSIB (2618 planes exactly...).  My guess is that at least half of those Alsib Airacobras had been delivered between January 1944 and August 1944 and that all had white disks.  Some of those delivered through Southern route had white discs too.  Again, my guess is that at least 1500 Airacobras had "transit markings".

So, who overpainted all those white discs, Americans or Russians? Huh

Regards,
KL
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 06:49:07 AM »

Hi Misos,
e.g. red propeller spinner and front part of the nose untill guns.
The red nose is particularly interesting. From the photo of n.4, I think that there is a light repainting (green?) on the upper and side parts of the nose, excluding the trapezoidal panel (that looks darker even in plane n.7).
Regards
Massimo
66misos

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 02:44:47 PM »

Hi Misos,
It looks that you already have a clear understanding about Airacobra's markings. Smiley
So, who overpainted all those white discs, Americans or Russians? Huh

Hi KL,
unfotunately not yet :-( Just trying to make it clear. Your post helps a lot.
That question is really good and it returns us back to December 2012 http://sovietwarplanes.com/board/index.php?topic=1367.msg10588#msg10588
I would say that they both. I would modify your question - Who to a greater extent overpainted all those white discs, Americans or Russians?
According to the level/quality/style of repainting visible on the photos I would say that Russians.

Hi Massimo,
According to M.Bykov and Alex from VIF at least some planes in 129 giap had previously that planel painted white and lately it was repainted green, therefore freshly painted panel is darker than weathered Cobra. Question is - OD or AMT-4?

Here is link http://www.leteckabadatelna.cz/havarie-a-sestrely/detail/68/ to the Czech page (in Czech language) about P-39 from 129 giap crashed in Czech Republic on May 8, 1945.
Crash site was found as well as some debris. This one:

nicely shows that the red star had white and thin red outline.

Regards,
   66misos
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 02:49:27 PM by 66misos » Logged

KL

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2015, 02:16:06 AM »

Another book about ALSIB route, this time more focused on Siberian side:

photos from this book, all taken in Soviet Union:

So, who overpainted all those white discs, Americans or Russians?

I would say that they both. I would modify your question - Who to a greater extent overpainted all those white discs, Americans or Russians?
According to the level/quality/style of repainting visible on the photos I would say that Russians.

Huh... photos above confirm your understanding...  IMHO, if white discs had been overpainted, that was done by Russians.

HTH,
KL
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2015, 08:30:01 AM »

Hi Misos
According to M.Bykov and Alex from VIF at least some planes in 129 giap had previously that planel painted white and lately it was repainted green, therefore freshly painted panel is darker than weathered Cobra. Question is - OD or AMT-4?
Interesting for some profile.
What I see on the photo, that could be evidenced on the drawing, is that there is an horizontal demarcation line on the nose, behind the door in the lower part that can't be explained as shadow or reflection. I don't know if the fresh part is the lower or the upper one.
Regards
Massimo
66misos

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2015, 12:35:09 PM »

Hi, thanks for responses.

KL,
and now, basicaly, only one thing left - the answer for question whether Olive Drab and Neutral Grey paints were delivered (together with Cobras) to SU and if yes, then if those US paints were available also to front units, not only in Vaenga, Abadan or same ZAPs. May be the answer could be in those books. Huh

Massimo,
I am afraid I do not understand what exactly you mean and on what photo:
...there is an horizontal demarcation line on the nose, behind the door in the lower part that can't be explained as shadow or reflection...
Could you, please, marked it?

Regards,
   66misos

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2015, 07:50:41 PM »

Hi Misos,

on this image, we see a lighter part above and behind the panel with the bort number 4, that ends in a rather sharp way behind the leg of the taller man.
Regards
Massimo
66misos

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2015, 08:16:46 PM »

Ha Massimo,
it is this part:

It usually make quite sharp shadow or color difefrence also on other photos.

regards,
   66misos

« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 01:32:33 PM by 66misos » Logged

AC26

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2015, 09:49:53 PM »

So, who overpainted all those white discs, Americans or Russians?
IMHO, if white discs had been overpainted, that was done by Russians.
Hi all,

I have seen the Hyryl? (earlier Tikkakoski) Airacobra also before the restoration and for my eyes it looks like the US bars were overpainted with US paints in the States and the white discs with Soviet greens on the upper surfaces and fuselage sides. Upper surfaces overpainting colour has always looked a bit strange for me. Myself I don't buy the US insignia Blue on these discs.

Cheers,

AaCee
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: