Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
'Il-2 Shturmovik: Red Avenger'
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 11:11:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Il-2 Shturmovik: Red Avenger'  (Read 16444 times)
learstang

« on: September 11, 2015, 06:17:51 AM »

At long last, my book on the Il-2, 'Il-2 Shturmovik: Red Avenger' has been published. Here it is on my publisher's website - http://fonthillmedia.com/epages/a72b332e-5c82-4e84-ad34-4c5316ee7a6b.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/a72b332e-5c82-4e84-ad34-4c5316ee7a6b/Products/978-1-62545-042-5

Best Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 07:14:53 AM »

Hi Jason,
looks great.
Regards
Massimo
Spitfire

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 09:30:36 AM »

Ordered !

Cheers

Dennis
Pascal

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 03:48:04 PM »

Hi Jason,

I bought your book two weeks ago ! I can tell it's a beautiful and impressive book, and Masssimo's profiles are fine. Wink I have to read it now... Grin

Cheers,

Pascal

bbrought

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 11:44:15 AM »

Fantastic! Added it to my "to buy" list and will get one next time when I order books from overseas. Can't wait!

BA Broughton
learstang

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 04:39:21 AM »

Thank you very much for the interest, gentlemen! I do hope you enjoy the book!

Best Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
K.Ingraham

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2015, 10:37:51 PM »

Mine arrived a few days ago. I lost several hours the moment I opened the package perusing the pages. No, let's say I invested several hours, I lost nothing! Excellent research & presentation. Worth every kopek. There was an intriguing mention of a "Modeling the IL-2" book in there--I don't get to this forum much anymore so I might've missed something but with seven assorted IL-2 kits in the 48th stash, I cannot live without it. Off now to search further....Well done, Jason!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 03:46:14 AM by K.Ingraham » Logged
learstang

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 06:57:22 PM »

Thank you very much - I'm very glad you like it! Regarding the modelling guide, that's unfortunately been put on indefinite hold because of a sort of 'non-competition' clause in the contract. Publishing the modelling guide might cut into the sales of this reference book, in other words. Pity. Some day I may be able to get back to it.

Best Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
JP
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2016, 03:16:14 PM »

Late to the party, but I just ordered mine last night.  When can I get it autographed?  Wink
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2016, 04:29:12 PM »

Hi Jason,
I haven't yet seen it. I would like to.
Regards
Massimo
Apex1701

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2016, 05:02:43 AM »

Hi Jason,

just finished the Kindle version.
Very interesting book mister.
Kudos to you and all the people who were part of the project.
I seem to recognize Massimo's touch on drawings... well done too.

Finally I'm beginning to grasp the intricacies of wooden/metal wings and / or fuselage  Shocked
I'm already planning a straight wing two-seater from Accurate's arrow.
I'm thinking about using KMC's straight wing resin conversion.
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/225727-kmc-48-5089-stormovik-il-2-wooden-wings-straight
Do you think it's a good idea ? or is it better to use Academy's/Accurate's single-seater wings ?

All the best.

Jean
Troy Smith

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2016, 12:10:04 PM »

Hi Jean

you might want to search for the Eduard edition of the AM kit,  as this combined sprues and is  a straight wing 2 seater

see http://www.hyperscale.com/2007/reviews/kits/eduard8165reviewbg_1.htm

Furthermore, Eduard's version of the Shturmovik has not been previously released by Accurate Miniatures. Prior to the definitive two-seater, the Il-2M3 with the revised swept wing, the original version was simply supplemented with a crude second crew position using the same wing as the single seater. This variant, known as the Il-2M, is the version offered by Eduard. This is the first version of the famous Il-2 offered by Accurate Miniatures.

unavailable but does turn up.
HTH
T
Apex1701

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2016, 11:48:33 PM »

Hi Troy,

you're absolutely right, but it's hard to find or cost a much  Tongue

I understand now that using Accurate/Academy single-seater wings will permit to do a 2 seater with metal wings.
If I want wooden wings I'll have to use KMC resin...
I think  Huh

All the best.

Jean
Troy Smith

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2016, 03:17:58 PM »

Hi Jean

well, I picked a couple a few years ago,  keep an eye on ebay or kit sellers.    Is the Eduard kit going to cost more than 2 other kits?

Regarding the wooden wing conversion, I don't think the KMC wings will be worth the bother, I have them (got very cheap) and they require cutting off the outer panels and adding the resin. 
http://www.small-wonder.org/Projects_AM_Il-2m3.htm
These are KMC's Il-2 straight wooden wings - solid cast in very heavy resin. It isn't clear yet how these are better than the kit wings.

Given the bother of cutting the wings, and then blending in the new parts, along with making sure they are aligned, I think you would just be better off filling the existing lines and re-scribing as  needed.   

AFAIK, the KMC set is unavailable as well, so it might just be cheaper to get 2 AM kits.   

HTH
T

Apex1701

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2016, 05:23:48 PM »

Hi Troy,

thanks for the information on the KMC resin. Undecided
I'll go with an AM or Academy single seater, you're right price is quite low on these, and use the wings and fill the panel lines as necessary.

Thank you  Wink

Jean
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: