Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Terminator!
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 12:15:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Terminator!  (Read 16944 times)
otto

« on: September 29, 2015, 11:00:24 PM »

It's not Soviet. It's not a Warplane. But I think this object deserves a little place here!

After finishing the MiG-3 I was looking for something totally different from the stuff I use to torture on my desk, and this is definitely the right one!
Zvezda's BMPT Terminator is a great model, although less sophisticated than Meng's. The box supplies two types of front reactive armor, but the surrounding elements (mudguard supports, hooks, headlights...) fit with the narrow type only.

As most of the pictures on the web show the "wide" type, I chose the hard way...
I found the picture of photoetched mudguard supports for Meng kit and used it as a template for my last toy: a Silhouette cutting plotter.

They needed some trimming, but they worked!

Zvezda's Terminator "sits" too high on its tracks, but this proved an easy to correct flaw: I bent the wheel arms upwards while the glue dried.

This change of geometry doesn't affect the tracks' fitting because the front idler wheel's pin is eccentric and this allows proper tension adjustment.
I'll add pictures as soon as work progresses (or regresses...).

« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 11:08:55 PM by otto » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 06:09:03 AM »

Hi Otto,
nice work indeed. The kit of Zvezda looks nice, I've read good reviews.  
I've completed a Terminator of Meng recently, it's even impressive in its engineriing of movable parts and has an excellent fit. The alternative front armour is not included into this kit, though.
The cutting plotter is very promising.  It has very few alternatives if one wants to make masks to paint Chinese tanks with pixel camouflage.
Regards
Massimo

« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 08:14:32 AM by Massimo Tessitori » Logged
otto

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 08:55:57 AM »

Massimo, you made a Terminator? PICTURES! PICTURES!
The cutting plotter is an useful tool, and you can have it at the price of about ten blisters of photoetched details / decals / masks. I only made a test with painting masks for a long awaited project, and tried it on my penholder. Can you guess which project is it?  Wink

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 07:51:29 AM »

Hi Otto,
yes, I'll take some pictures. It's a bit hard to move from its place because of the mine cleaning system protruding on the front that makes it a bit delicate.
4326... a Li-2?
Regards
Massimo
otto

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 10:12:21 AM »

Don't endanger your Terminator Massimo, a picture taken in its place is enough.
A Li-2? Something slightly different...

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 01:46:28 PM »

North vietnamense MiG-21s? The one with green patches looks particularly interesting.
Regards
Massimo
4bogreen

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2015, 08:00:12 PM »

Hi Otto!

A terminator? Cool! Currently i am busy with a T-30, messerschmitt bf109E "wespen geswader" and the Yak-1.

The MiG-21 is a first production type. Trumpeter makes one. Very nice choice

On the bench,
-Eduard 1/48 Messerschmitt BF109E-4 ZG-1
-Eduard 1/48 Spitfire MK.Vb 57 GIAP, Kuban
otto

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2015, 08:56:40 PM »

Hello 4bogreen. T-30? The Soviet light tank or the US heavy tank?
It's a MiG-21 PF, and I have Eduard's 1/48 kit. It's good but, as almost all kits, it only has the main screw holes marked on its surfaces. It misses all the subtle rivets that fix the panels on the structure. I think they are almost invisible on painted aircraft, but on natural metal finishes they are worth to be reproduced. It will be the main challenge on this kit, but now the Terminator is on the bench!
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2015, 11:20:22 AM »

Hi Otto, hi all,
here are two photos of my Terminator. As said it's a Meng kit, out of box. Sorry if they are not too clear, it is delicate so I didn't want to move it.

Now that I see, there are two things to fix: a small panel of the complex articulated hatch for grenade launcher operator (it's movable, I've already repositioned it into the right lowered position) and a thin bar on the mine layer, that is broken and needs to be realigned. Those bars were a major difficulty for their thinness, now I would have replaced them with metal rods.
Regards
Massimo
otto

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2015, 08:38:36 PM »

Your Terminator seems really good, Massimo! I planned to apply the same camouflage on mine  Embarrassed, I hope it will come out as good as yours!
Which paints did you use? And did you use masks or Patafix or similar stuff to paint the patches?
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2015, 10:12:12 PM »

Hi Otto,
I've utilized Tamiya and Gunze acrilic paints, and I've airbrushed the colors by free hand. Olive green is the base color, and it's identical to the color of the plastic.
There are optional rubber plates for the tracks included in the kit, but I've not utilized them to show the vehicle on the rough ground, and to save a lot of work of course.
I would love to make crews for my tanks, but only Tamiya and Academy include them into the kit. Crews found on separate boxes (as Dragon) not always have suitable positions for a turret's hatch without some surgery, besides a box would end after one or two tanks, so I should look for a lot of double boxes and have a lot of twin crews on different tanks, and this isn't good. Now I have a lot of kits still to build, and I prefer to complete some more of them. Anyway, my Terminator has openable hatches, should I find a suitable crew.
Regards
Massimo
otto

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2015, 09:48:48 AM »

Massimo, Zvezda and Valkyrie make modern Russian tank crews:
http://www.zvezda.org.ru/?lng=1&nav=1&p=5&set=3615
http://www.valkyrie.co.kr/
I think the BMPT has a sci-fi feature making it look better without humans on it. If the final outcome will be acceptable, I will place one of these figures beside it:
http://www.blackdog.cz/products/fig/f35102/1.jpg
The soldier's uniform has a pixel camouflage, but here the cutting plotter does not help!
Now the hull is almost completed. I used a tool for making holes in belts to open the half-hole in the side armor. Zvezda makes a version without it.

As no photoetched sets have been released so far, I decided to detail my Terminator with plasticard. I could have used the sets made by Eduard, E. T. or Tetramodel for Meng kit with minor adjustments but, as this is a "low profile" project to me, I will apply old style modeling to it.
I changed the kit's side grill armor with plastic strips. I tried to make them with the plotter, but strips cut from plasticard lack the extruded strips' stiffness. Cry I kept the kit's vertical supports to save the correct geometry. The picture shows the difference with the kit's lower grills, still in place.

I am completely rebuilding the rear grills. I made jigs to cut and assemble them properly: a long and boring job!  Tongue

otto

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2015, 08:47:37 AM »

Now I finished  the grills. I reproduced the rear ones folded, as they are stiffer and more suitable for a tank operating in open terrain. The new grills are not perfectly straight  Embarrassed but, at least, they are thinner than kit's ones!
I decided to assembly the hull halves with screws: this will allow placing the lower part on the base and stain it with mud and snow before installing the complex and delicate upper part and turret.

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2015, 01:24:01 PM »

Hi Otto,
your work looks very clean and well made. I usually prefer to work to make the kit's pieces thinner than to rebuild a such delicate frame.
Tankers of Zvezda have a bit too moved positions for me, as if they abandoned the tank to fight individually versus mujahiddeens. I don't make any ground for my tanks for space reasons, so I can't utilize easily a lot of the figures that can be found on commerce.
Recently I've utilized some russian tankers of ww2 with one piece suit to trasform them into Italian tankers for my Centauro. The helmets were for US tankers of Dragon, modified.
Regards
Massimo
otto

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2015, 04:04:49 PM »

Ciao Massimo
So you too are a Doktor Frankenstein! Grin
As a proud lazybone I always try to rectify model's parts, but it's not always the quickest way. On Roden's 1/32 Fokker Dr.I the horizontal stabilizer has a wrong recessed band in the middle, filling and sanding which I spent several evenings unsuccessfully. After I resolved building a new one, in two hours it was finished!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: