Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Soviet made air filter for Hawker Hurricane
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 11:33:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Soviet made air filter for Hawker Hurricane  (Read 7928 times)
Troy Smith

« on: December 14, 2015, 05:50:31 AM »

in the book Soviet Hurricane Aces by Osprey,
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Soviet-Hurricane-Aces-World-Aircraft/dp/1849087415

one new to me detail turned up, which is that the VVS made an airfilter for use on dusty airfields 

I just noticed that this shot is out on the web
"78IAP Capt Vasiliy Adonkin and White 96 at Pummanki airfield 1943"

note just visible under the nose of bort 96 the air filter.  Note is it much more compact than the Vokes filter designed for the Hurricane.

In the book there is  close up photo of the air filter Wink

96 has also been regunned with Soviet weapons, the barrel of the 20 mm ShVAK cannon is clearly visible.

I was unsure what the book would turn up but it 20 photos I'd not seen before, and the authors are working on a book in Russian on Soviet Hurricane use, which hopefully will have the photos in larger reproductions, as they are quite small in the Osprey title. 

hope of interest
T
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 06:49:43 AM »

Hi Troy,
this sounds interesting, but I can't see the image.
Regards
Massimo
AC26

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 04:45:09 PM »

one new to me detail turned up, which is that the VVS made an airfilter for use on dusty airfields 

I just noticed that this shot is out on the web
"78IAP Capt Vasiliy Adonkin and White 96 at Pummanki airfield 1943"
Hi all,

Interesting photo indeed! Unfortunately I have not the book in hand now but not related to the Hurricane I'm wondering that "Pummanki airfield 1943". As far as I know Pummanki was at that time Finnish territory under German control and there were not an airfield... Background on the picture definitely looks like an Murmansk area airfield.

Cheers,

AaCee
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 05:45:12 PM »

Hi,
beautiful image. The profile looks more pleasant than usual Hurricanes. I wonder if the width was as the usual air intake of Hurricanes, and if it had openings protected by mesh on the sides and lower part. Filters of Il-2s and Il-10 opened an hatch when the landing gear was retracted, but I don't think this is the case of these Hurricanes.
Regards
Massimo
Troy Smith

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 02:16:26 AM »

Hi Massimo

when I get chance I post a photo, but they connected the Soviet filter to the existing intake. 

Do you have the Soviet Hurricane Aces book? 
KL

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 05:32:57 AM »

Hi Troy,
Interesting find!  There is something there...

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 05:49:37 PM »

Hi,
from this photo, the filter looks opened on its lower part. I can't say if it is opened on the front too.
I haven't the book on aces.
Regards
Massimo
Troy Smith

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2015, 12:32:11 AM »

Finally dug out book,  no scanner set up at the moment, so took a photo of the book.

at the left the original Hurricane intake can be seen,  regarding this Massimo
I wonder if the width was as the usual air intake of Hurricanes, and if it had openings protected by mesh on the sides and lower part. Filters of Il-2s and Il-10 opened an hatch when the landing gear was retracted, but I don't think this is the case of these Hurricanes.

there are hinged parts on the sides of the front part, so perhaps this was a similar mechanism.

Hopefully some further information may come out when the planned Soviet Hurricane book by the authors of "Soviet Hurricane Aces" is published.

Wonder what colour the new parts were painted....

cheers
T
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 03:36:03 PM by Troy Smith » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2015, 11:30:59 AM »

Hi Troy,
interesting image, thank you for posting. I wonder if the central part is opened on its bottom. I suppose that the front part opens in flight.
regards
Massimo
Graham Boak

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2016, 12:56:11 PM »

The central part looks fairly firmly fixed.  The forward part however has a longitudinal piano hinge line, which makes me suspect that these opened on the ground and the filter sat behind them.  In flight these would be closed and the lower part hinged down from the rear.  There appears to be room for some angular movement at the rear of the forward part, and an opening door (presumably opening up into the nose) at the front.  However perhaps there was some other explanation for these features?  It would be interesting to see more on how this works; a clear view of one in flight is probably an impossible dream, but somewhere there will have been diagrams and photos of how this worked. 
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2016, 07:30:44 AM »

I wonder why both the supposed alternative inlets (front and sides) are in front of the filter, and the air duct between the intake box and the filter box seems to have the same section of the original intake. The flow in flight should bypass the filter, but in this way both flows seem to converge before the filter.
On Il-10s, the filter and its inlet grilles were behind the duct.
Regards
Massimo
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: