Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
MiG-3 in non-standard camo
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 10:44:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: MiG-3 in non-standard camo  (Read 16068 times)
66misos

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

« on: March 03, 2016, 07:54:18 PM »

Hi,
interesting photo of colorfull MiG-3 from VIF archive:

regards,
   66misos

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 11:14:59 PM »

Hi Misos,
very nice.
I suppose that colors could be green, dark grey, light brown and white.
Regards
Massimo
Psy06

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 09:34:17 PM »

Hi colleagues Smiley

This is a sample of not usual but particulary standart camo, for certain region. This color scheme is nothing but a schematic picture of rice field. Such camo is massively used in the Asian region - Manchjuria, China and the Soviet Far East. This particular plane was based at Primorsky region, at some places then I was born Smiley. Real colors of this plane is almost like this:

The plane have inverted version of "rice" pattern, paints are AMT green, black and light gray(mb silver, but not confirmed yet), for 39/43 (the exact period of existence "rice" pattern for soviet AC is not known, due to a lack of good research). for 44 state at Far East, as I know, all type of camos was replaced gray-gray sheme with standart pattern.

This I-15bis is sample of direct version of "rice" pattern, as you can see it almost identical of japanese tank Smiley))) Because the plane have stars 1943 type, impossible to say what lightest paint is, light gray or light brown. For my opinion correct - light gray, because Far East regiments had supplies on the principle of "least", and new light brown paint could arrive with a big delay, and you know about 3 color db3, if they repaint planes, they repaint it by new standarts (all text is valid for mig-3 too).

Plane course Far East based too.

Far East MBR2, inverted sheme:

« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 06:36:32 PM by Psy06 » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 09:48:57 PM »

Hi Psy,
this is interesting. The style with 2 main colors plus a third one in thin lines, but colors seem varying.

Here is my guess:
MiG-3:
bands of dark green and sand, with white lines;
I-153:
bands of sand and dark green, with black lines;
MBR-2:
bands of dark green and black, with light grey lines.

Regards
Massimo
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 05:38:40 AM »

Hi,
these planes were photographed near Vladivostok in 1943:

They have a similar painting with white lines.
In my opinion, the MiG of the previous photo had its camouflage modified with white lines because of the snow still lying on the ground.
Regards
Massimo
KL

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 08:11:08 AM »

Hi Massimo,
MiG-3 No 54 is photographed at an airfield near Moscow in summer 1943. Either Klin or Vnukovo depending on a source...

check here:  http://airaces.narod.ru/all16/urvachev.htm

It's 34 iap PVO.  There are several MiG-3 photos on that page, on some more black lines.

Regards,
KL
66misos

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 11:43:51 AM »

Hi,
When speaking about light grey and sand colors in 1942 or early 1943, could you, please, be more specific about their codes (AMT-xx or A-xxm)? I did not find anything like that in the color tables at Mig3 pages.
Thanx.
   66misos

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 02:25:15 PM »

Hi,
MiG-3 No 54 is photographed at an airfield near Moscow in summer 1943. Either Klin or Vnukovo depending on a source...
check here:  http://airaces.narod.ru/all16/urvachev.htm
It's 34 iap PVO.  There are several MiG-3 photos on that page, on some more black lines.

Maslov's boook on MiG-3 says 34 IAP too.
I had a look again to my page, it contains these comments:
This aircraft is of 6th IAP of 7 IAD of the Pacific Fleet, photographed on Uglovoye airfield ( not too far from Vladivostock) on August 18, 1943.
The closer man is leytenant F. I. Gretchin, the political officer of the unit.
Unfortunately I don't remember where I found this, it was many years ago, but the comment above looks too detailed to be an invention.

When speaking about light grey and sand colors in 1942 or early 1943, could you, please, be more specific about their codes (AMT-xx or A-xxm)? I did not find anything like that in the color tables at Mig3 pages.

I simply don't know. I suppose that, if it is sand, it could be similar to AMT-1, but it could also be another thing.

Regards
Massimo
KL

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 03:23:45 AM »

another photo from the series:

it is clear that officers are dressed in black Navy uniforms!  So, it is probably 7 iad VVS TOF. Hazanov, Medved and Maslov are wrong this time...

regards,
KL

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2016, 06:51:19 AM »

Hi,
interesting image.
The camouflage of the first plane (54) seems continuing on the landing gear doors too.
The color under his nose is different from the one of the second plane.
All the spinners are different, I wonder if there is a logic reason for this or if it was casual.
What is the source of the image?
Regards
Massimo
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 06:57:15 AM by Massimo Tessitori » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2016, 02:32:14 PM »

Hi,
I've examined better the image, and there is not camouflage on the landing gear door. It is a shadow projected from a foldable panel of the door itself, hit by sun rays tangentially.
The third plane has a wide red star with white outline on its tail.
The prop blades of the third and fourth plane look camouflaged.
Regards
Massimo
Psy06

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2016, 11:54:51 AM »

It is TOF regiment, I have confirmation from my friend from Vladivostok. Moskow' & S'Peterborg guys have big tendensy define all history spin around to center Russia' region Smiley if dont give them descent, they soon describe Khalkhin Gol campaign  as the battle near Moscow  Smiley

upd Smiley

Migs is 39th IAP (Unashi airbase) TOF. Unashi - Golden Valley, it is Primorsky region.

I-15bis is 14 KORAE at the Uglovaya-Central airbase, it is Vladivostok  Smiley

And more Smiley

« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 03:23:34 PM by Psy06 » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2016, 05:54:28 PM »

Great photos, forthemost I never saw them before. Thank you for posting.
In the case of I-153 and I-16, it seems that the lighter color was brush painted over a sprayed black band.
I wonder if the colors are always the same. The MBR-2 could have water-like colors.
Regards
Massimo
Psy06

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2016, 06:47:01 PM »

Great photos, forthemost I never saw them before. Thank you for posting.
In the case of I-153 and I-16, it seems that the lighter color was brush painted over a sprayed black band.
I wonder if the colors are always the same. The MBR-2 could have water-like colors.
Regards
Massimo

Yeath Smiley the main value of the photos MiGs and I-16, that it's a solid proof that the rice pattern is not individual creative of mechanics, but a official Far East color scheme which has been used for painting the whole regiments.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 06:49:24 PM by Psy06 » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2016, 06:09:02 AM »

Hi,
Yeath Smiley the main value of the photos MiGs and I-16, that it's a solid proof that the rice pattern is not individual creative of mechanics, but a official Far East color scheme which has been used for painting the whole regiments.
Indeed. 
Why is it called rice pattern?
Regards
Massimo
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: