Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
1/72nd Academy Il-2 two seater straight wing
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 09:25:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 1/72nd Academy Il-2 two seater straight wing  (Read 7702 times)
Jirokoh

« on: March 14, 2016, 05:25:21 PM »

Hello Smiley

I registered on this forum some time ago, and came back looking for some documentation for my current build Smiley
I figured out I could show my work here, to have some advice, and so that you could tell me if I'm doing something wrong, or completely inaccurate Smiley
My goal is to make a diorama of an Il-2 two seater straight wing, with some figures, and a gaz AA starter truck next to it Smiley

But first, here are some pictures of the actual Il-2 model (with some PE added, and a lot of scratch Wink)

The inside :

The under-fuselage radiator :

The gunner's 12.7 :

Scrath build of the engine cooling airflow exhaust, compared to the kit's one :

The kits radiator intake :

And scratch build :

Some aluminum paper was added to simulate the reinforcement on the wings, and the machine guns and canons were made out of streched cotton-bud

The flaps are going to be represented as extended, so I made the mechanical indicator :

Out of Tamiya putty, I tried to make the karman, since it's not completely flat on the reall plane, I tried to get that tiny layer :

Here it is with the inner strucutre of the wing, seen when the flaps are down (all scratch build) :

And the top side of the plane, seen when the wings where glued, and puttied :

I'm currently working on some figures, the truck, and redoing the aluminum paper reinforcements, since they should cover the entire wing, and not just the top side.
I had a question, concerning the gun fairing on Z.18 straight wings, was it completely round, or a bit flat on the leading edge ? Because Academy represents them flat, but I've seen some pictures of round ones on Z.18 arrows. I hope someone can help me Smiley

I hope you'll like my build, and that it's not too inaccurate Smiley
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 08:46:56 AM »

Hi,
it's a beautiful work, but there is an error:
It's a plate opened on the rear and on the low side, not a duct. The plate covers the fuselage side that has an outlet grille weakening its armour. I suggest to cut it, open it on its lower side and rebuilt the side of the fuselage under it.
Regards
Massimo
Jirokoh

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 11:44:36 AM »

Thank you ! Smiley

It's a plate opened on the rear and on the low side, not a duct. The plate covers the fuselage side that has an outlet grille weakening its armour. I suggest to cut it, open it on its lower side and rebuilt the side of the fuselage under it.

I'm sorry, but I didn't really get what you say ? I'm don't really understand which part I should change ?  Undecided

But thank you for pointing out what's wrong ! Cheesy
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 08:04:29 PM »

Hi,

this piece behind the exhaust pipes is the problem. It shouldn't be a duct, but a protection plate over a grille. The plate should be open both rearwards and downwards.

Regards
Massimo
learstang

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 04:59:50 AM »

Very nice work! Regarding the gun fairings, before the arrow (and some late straight-winged two-seater examples), Z.18 had squared fairings for the VYa-23 23-mm cannons.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Jirokoh

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 08:57:06 PM »

Thank you both of you for your replies Smiley

I changed the pieces behind the exhausts, because I was told what you told me, so I guess they are less wring now Smiley

Thanks Jason ! (it's seems you didn't get my MP ? I asked you about that, but maybe I didn't get it to be send  Huh)
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 09:27:57 PM »

Hi, I suggest to file a bit the nose side just aside the front of the oil cooler intake recess over it. Academy ones look a bit angular on this part.
Regards
Massimo.
Jirokoh

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2016, 09:40:23 AM »

Hello Smiley

Here's a little update on my Il-2 Smiley I started painting it, using Massimo Tessitori's drawings :

It still needs some work, berofe getting it's winter camouflage over it Smiley

I hope you like it ! Smiley
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 09:41:58 AM by Jirokoh » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2016, 12:17:31 PM »

Hi,
it is a beautiful work. I like the rivets too, it is a lot of work on this model.
Regards
Massimo
Jirokoh

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2016, 03:32:56 PM »

Hi,
it is a beautiful work. I like the rivets too, it is a lot of work on this model.
Regards
Massimo

Thank you very much Massimo ! It means a lot since I'm also using your work for it ! Smiley
learstang

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2016, 04:20:55 AM »

That looks great with the paint on!

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
Jirokoh

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2016, 01:22:21 PM »

Seems I haven't posted in a while up here !   Lips Sealed

So before I applied the winter camouflage, I went on trying to work on the differents shades of the camouflage :

Then I applyied the winter camouflage, based on Massimo's profile :

And a last picture with the first figure that will go on it (and my very first figure, not very big at 1/72nd scale!)

Then I tried scratching the flaps, since Academy doesn't give us the option to do it :

Here is my first attempt :

But that those structures are too high for the size of flap, so I did a secid version :

But then I saw on pictures that the structures were not all evenly seperated, as you can see on this picture :

So, I unglued everything, and got back to work, finally here it is :

And all four flaps are done :

I couldn't resist trying to see what it could look like :

And I rally like this last picture :

That's all for the moment Smiley I hope you like it ! Cheesy

If you see anything wrong, please tell me Smiley
learstang

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2017, 01:27:24 AM »

This was a very nice model - did you ever finish it?

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: