Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Il-2 "doska", Dako 1/72
Sovietwarplanes
April 25, 2024, 11:07:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Il-2 "doska", Dako 1/72  (Read 12538 times)
viktor

« on: April 03, 2016, 07:47:29 PM »

Hi guys!

One of my recently finished models. This one is a two-seat Il-2 with straight wings, so called "doska". Dako kit built OOB. The model shows this interesting plane as I believe it possible looked like. Such is depicted in the Ilyushin Il-2 Shturmovik book published by MMP. Decals used here are my own production.

Cheers,
Viktor

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 08:42:03 PM »

Hi Viktor,
very nice model. It is one of my preferred examples for this version of the plane.
The custom decals look perfectly adequate. It is a very interesting possibility to make something new.
Regards
Massimo
viktor

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2016, 10:01:53 PM »

Thank you, Massimo.
Regarding to this plane one question for you and anybody with Il-2 knowledge. If the green/brown camouflage did not exist, where did the rear fuselage section come from? Does not look like any of the 1943 standard schemes. Both you and me came to the same conclusion - green/brown - anyway. Any idea on that?

BR
Viktor
learstang

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 04:06:06 AM »

Excellent model, Viktor! I've also done 'White 24' (mine isn't as nice as yours, however). It's been speculated that this aeroplane was extensively repaired, with a new rear fuselage and new right aileron, for example. It may have been during this repair that some attempt was made to make it closer to the new 'three-colour' late 1943 scheme, which was supposed to be AMT-12 Dark Grey, AMT-1 Light Brown, and AMT-4 Green over AMT-7 Blue (as you know, of course). Here, instead of completely repainting it, they left the AMT-6 Black, as that was probably considered close enough to the AMT-12 colour.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 06:16:11 AM »

Hi,
I agree, the plane is said to have been photographed in 1944, so they tried to adequate the camouflage to the new standard
Regards
Massimo
viktor

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 09:38:52 AM »

Thank you, gentlemen!
Your explanation sounds possible.
Two more of my favourite Il-2s will follow - KSS "Mstitel" and KSS flown by Pavlov. Both Tamiya kits, one 1/72 and one 1/48 scale.

BR
Viktor
Dark Green Man

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 03:02:47 AM »

nice model , Viktor !
you can't go wrong with a Dakoplast Shturmovik :thumbsup:

"when we lose the right to be different, we lose the priviledge to be free"--Charles Evans Hughes
Jirokoh

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 08:53:58 PM »

A great model ! Smiley

I myself am doing one, at the same scale, I hope to get that result Smiley
viktor

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2016, 10:31:13 AM »

Thank you guys!

Dako is still one of the best in 1/72 thanks to its wooden wings, both straight and arrow. The surface details are very fine. Some details, like rockets with rails, canopy, guns barrels, UBT, need to be replaced. However all this is rather easy so the final model looks very good.

Jirokoh, good luck with yours!

Viktor
Jirokoh

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2016, 08:55:03 PM »

Thanks !

I forgot to ask you, but do you have some pictures of the build ? Smiley I'd be curios to see some of the build steps Smiley
viktor

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2016, 12:47:37 AM »

Nope, I do not, sorry. Maybe I can at least highlight some points where an extra attention is needed.

- Cockpit has quite nice details so it deserves a better instrument panel (I used one from Smer?s Hi-Tech PE set) and seat belts (used ones from the same PE set). Adding side walls would be good as there are just "holes" to wings (I did not on this one). Adding some details in gunner's compartment is not a bad idea as well (I did not on this one).
- Propeller spinner has been replaced with one from Eduard's kit.
- The same kit became a donor of the clear canopy parts. Some care is needed to fit the wind screen and the mid part above the fuel tank (open canopy is a good camouflage for its poor fit).
- Rockets with rails come from Smer?s kit. Original parts are rather useless. The same for bombs with bomb racks.
- Outer wings fit to midsection is rather poor. Careful here.
- Rudder mass balance replaced with a scratchbuilt one.
- Gun barrels and pitot tube from injection needles.
- If possible replace the exhausts.
- If possible replace the UBT machine gun (I did not on this one) with mounting and ammo box.
- MLG struts are rather fragile so be careful. I did break one :/
- I've re-scribed the outer wings reinforcing belts. MMP book is a good reference here (scale drawings).
- Replace the wing-root dust filter.
- Drill the openings for spent cartridges on the wing undersides.
- The wings-to-fuselage joint is rather nasty. Filling and sanding ahead!
- Panel lines are very fine, some almost gone and need to be re-scribed. Same for rivets.
- Add the VV-1 gun-sight.

Dako "Il-2M" kit is the most suitable for a two-seater of late Zavod 30 production. The kit has corresponding wooden outer wings (reinforcement belts missing), wooden rear fuselage, midsection of later type, gunner's canopy of later type, short tail landing gear fairing. Use the taller antenna mast and VYa-23 guns.
If you want to build a late two-seater of Zavod 1 you need to correct the tail landing gear fairing.
If you want to build early production aircraft from Zavod 1/30 you need to modify the midsection and use the correct gunner's canopy (or build a machine with this part removed). Shorter antenna mast and ShVAK cannons should be used.
Building a Zavod 18 aircraft would be the most complicated option as you need to re-scribe the metal outer wings panel lines. Always metal outer wings and VYa-23 cannons for Zavod 18 aircraft, regardless if single seater, two seater with straight wings or KSS.
This was a brief extract (if I missed something important, gentlemen experts here will add it for sure), scale drawings and detail description for each modification can be found in the MMP book Wink

This is my first Dako kit built. I have 3 more. As now I'm familiar with its strenghts and weak points, I know what is awaiting me and hope for better results Smiley

Viktor
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2016, 06:05:22 AM »

Hi Viktor, very interesting description. So the kit requires a donor for many small pieces.
I wonder if a kitbashing with Smer's wings could help to make a metallic wings plane. Anyway, the wooden wings look more interesting also because they are rare between the kits representing Il-2s.
Regards
Massimo
viktor

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2016, 09:49:41 AM »

Hi Massimo,
yes, that's right. You can use either spare parts from other kits or aftermarket stuff.
Eduard's "Il-2m3" offers two propeller spinners and two sets of canopy clear parts, even the old "tunnel" one for the gunner.
Toko's single seater has 4-stack exhausts molded on the fuselage, so the 6-stack ones can be used as well as the UBT.
Toko/Eastern Express/Zvezda two seater offers the full set of 8 rockets with rails moreover rockets of two types, so you have 4 rails free to use and plenty of rockets.
Smer offers nice selection of external load you will not use all on the same kit, so some free parts remain.

Regarding to the aftermarket stuff. Exhausts (vitally needed for Dako) are available (QB or Eduard), propeller spinner with blades is offered by Raresin (not sure about availability, at least occasionally on eBay), gun barrels and pitot tube by QB. Eduard offers nice PE sets (not intended for Dako anyway, hawever at least the set for interior should be usable). Finally Pavla offers vacu canopy for "Il-2m3" Zvezda/Eastern Express/Toko (eventual fit is questionable as this kit has the clear canopy moulded in different way). There are also some wheels available but I personally don't think they are essentially needed.
Pity there's no UBT (maybe Eduard will downscale the 1/48 scale Brassin one) so far and no dust filter (one from the Academy single seater kit can be used if you do not use it on the single seater, what you will not in many many cases).

Some pictures regarding to the replacement parts.
Here you can see propeller spinners as offered in (from left to right) Dako, Smer, Toko, Eduard kits.

Note the Dako's one. Almost no details visible. On contrary the defects are clearly visible (next to each opening for blade).

UBT as offered by Dako, Toko and Eduard. Again, Dako plastic is very fragile. I've broken the barrel few seconds ago Angry

Quality of clear parts is visible. Definitely need to be replaced.

Attaching the Smer's metal wings looks fine from a distance...

...but it won't be so easy. I would vote for re-scribing the original parts instead.

Off-topic: I have some sets of ski landing gear (nacelles and skis, no MLG struts) in my spare box. If anyone wants to build a Dako single seater with ski landing gear, I can offer them as below.

Viktor
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 10:04:32 AM by viktor » Logged
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2016, 10:30:44 PM »

Resin 1/72 Il-2 prop and spinner also available from Prop&Jet:
http://modelsua.com/Ilyshin-Il-2-Bark-Shturmovik-propeller-1-72-Prop-and-Jet-RR001.html

John
Jirokoh

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2016, 09:04:28 PM »

scale drawings and detail description for each modification can be found in the MMP book Wink

This may be a stupid question, but what is the MMP book ?  Huh  Embarrassed
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: