Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Hurricane Mk IIb Z5252 questions
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 09:56:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hurricane Mk IIb Z5252 questions  (Read 8943 times)
TISO

« on: July 23, 2007, 12:02:30 AM »

I will use Revell Hurricane IIb kit for this one (and yes i know about rear top fuselage and other screw ups). I'll use Hasagawa's decals (nasty silver 01 wil be repainted with white).
And i have couple of questions regarding this bird recovered in october 2004:
Recovery of Z5252

1. What type of propeler did it use (Rotol, DH...)?

Was Z5252 armed with all 12 brownings?

3. Which colour was used for repainting of RAF roundels ( i suspect AII green on top of the wings and fuselage and AII light blue under the wings).

4. Please correct me if i'm wrong! According to photos on the site i linked to, bird is painted in RAF standard camo of  Dk.Green, Dk. Earth, Sky type S with spinner in sky type S.

Disciple of Error
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 02:01:11 AM »

(1) Prop looks like a Rotol to me, although the spinner is more pointed than in some photos where the Rotol prop is identified. Unfortunately Mason's book (see below) doesn't detail individual aircraft or production batches very well. The splintering of the prop blades as shown in the photos in your link also suggests the Rotol prop (blades were made from a pressure-bonded wood material, called "Jablo"). I'm willing to be corrected on this point, though!

(2) According to the page you linked (very interesting, BTW - thanks!), "She was still fully armed with the original twelve 0.303 inch Browning machineguns." Francis K. Mason, on page 115 of his book "The Hawker Hurricane" (Aston Publications/Motorbooks, 1987), says, in reference to the start of operations by RAF No.81 and No.134 Squadrons at Vaenga on September 12, 1941, "...none of their aircraft possessed more than six guns apiece, the other six guns having been removed before flying off HMS Argus to reduce weight." He goes on to say that eventually the removed guns were delivered ashore at Archangel'sk and reunited with their aircraft, apparently after Russian armorers fabricated new blast tubes to replace ones that went missing along the way. So, twelve guns it is.

(3) Your guess is probably as good as anyone's, unless further information from the recovery becomes available to clarify this point. What you say sounds sensible to me, but that's only MY opinion!? Cheesy

(4) That sounds correct for the period when the aircraft was built. On both of points (3) and (4), I'd be inclined to believe the artwork on the page you linked. It appears to be based on actual inspection of the aircraft itself.

The addition of the RS82 rockets and their launch rails is a neat feature which will add some great visual interest to the model! These parts can be obtained from several 1/72 VVS kits, such as the Toko/Roden LaGG-3. Nice photo of one of these rockets on the linked page. Go here for more details on these weapons:
http://vvs.hobbyvista.com/Markings/bombs/vvsord.php

John
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 02:51:17 AM by John Thompson » Logged
Dark Green Man

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 02:43:58 AM »

I posted my reply at Airwarfareforum.com/
(now I wish I had read John's post first? ?Cry )
it's strange that there is no visual evidence of 12 guns
A. Graham Boak also answered the propeller question definitively.

[/color]

"when we lose the right to be different, we lose the priviledge to be free"--Charles Evans Hughes
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 03:13:03 AM »

Hah! This is great - lots of good stuff coming to light on this subject - as I've said before, posting to several forums is not a bad thing! The twelve-gun wing installation had the additional two guns on each wing located in a more outboard position than the four guns visible in the photos, so they're not as easy to find (you can see where they're located in the artwork on the page Tiso linked, though, and the shell ejection chutes are visible on the underside of the wing, near the red star, in the photo at the top of that page.). Also good to see Graham Boak confirm the Rotol prop!

John
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 03:26:49 AM by John Thompson » Logged
marluc

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 03:57:47 AM »

Hello everybody:

I?ve just posted an answer at "Modelling the VVS" forum,now I see John Thompson?s reply which is more complete than mine.Regarding the outer MG,they protude from over the leading edge so they are quite visible when they are installed.When they were removed,the holes were covered but the shell ejection were not.Greetings:

Martin?
TISO

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 06:27:13 PM »

Thank you guys.
I posted the same questions on all forums that i considered that are full of experts.

Disciple of Error
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: