Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
MiG-23ML of KP
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 07:58:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: MiG-23ML of KP  (Read 5429 times)
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« on: May 19, 2016, 08:08:05 AM »

Hi,
I've bought a kit of the new MiG-23 ML of KP for a surprisingly low price, probably due to some error of the seller.
A lot of years ago, I made deep researches on the subject, that was still under-documented. I haven't updated my knowledges since then, but I can give some impressions of what I bought.
The kit seems a much improved derivation of the kit of Zvezda, with the addition of a lot of details and alternative pieces. The surface detailing looks amazing, and so the details of the cockpit, landing gear and nozzle look very up to date if compared to the ancient ones I recall.
The kit has a lot of options, including fins, front fuselage, front wheels and doors, main landing gear legs etc allowing to build both a MF and an ML (and probably a MLD). It has a two-piece reasonably trasparent canopy and apparently good decals for 3 versions  (Czech, DDR and Iraq) with an apparently complete stenciling.
On the minus, the  shape of the canopy area has preserved an error of the older Zvezda kit, with a bit wide canopy without the 'step' on the lower frame that should come out to adapt to a fuselage that should be wider than the canopy itself; this characteristic is well visible on the boxart but looks missing both on the canopy of the kit, both on the fuselage that should have a step in section, hidden by the air intake plate. These characteristics were well reproduced in the kits of Hasegawa and Airfix, that had other faults.
Besides I suspect that the fuselage is a bit low in the canopy area. 
The nose cone included into the kit the same for the MF and ML, and the alternative front fuselagesseem to differ only for paneling, but my impression from photos of the real things is that the ML should have a slightly bigger diameter and more curved profile of the cone.
Another small complain, the front well hub hasn't crisp recesses, besides the inscriptions of the stenciling are too thick.
The kit includes missile rails, but not the missiles.
On the whole, the kit is nice and an improvement on what i already had  in the stash, but it is not the 'definitive' MiG-23.

Regards
Massimo
Piotr Mikolajski

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 12:31:15 AM »

Massimo,

AZ Model, owner of KP label, bought all moulds from RV Resin company. That means all reviews / notes / errors of MiG-23s from RV Resin are present in KP kits.
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 06:51:07 AM »

Hi Piotr,
I suspected this because I opened one of their kit in a shop many years ago, but I didn't buy it because it was too expensive.
Thank you for the information. Seems that a definitive kit in 1/72 is still to come.
Regards
Massimo
TISO

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 11:35:01 PM »

Also all aftermarket sets for RV are valid for KP

Disciple of Error
Piotr Mikolajski

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 07:21:03 PM »

It seems AZ/KP releases new variants but from what I've heard quality of new releases is worse than RV ones. That means we have to wait for really good MiG-23 family kits. Fortunately we have few brand new companies releasing professionally CAD designed kits made from steel moulds and maybe they will look for business opportunity.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: