Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Searching info about La-5's or La-7 flown by Nikolai Mikhailovich Skomorokhov ?
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 10:07:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Searching info about La-5's or La-7 flown by Nikolai Mikhailovich Skomorokhov ?  (Read 10921 times)
steph40

« on: May 22, 2016, 04:39:03 PM »

Hello,

Does it exist photos of La-5's or La-7 flown by Nikolai M. Skomorokhov ?
I found several photos but none where we can see the number and the type of aircraft on the same picture.

Here is I found:

Probably a La-5F adorned with a lightning bolt in December 1943 (Victory stars apparently retouched)

This one, maybe the same as above but victory stars not retouched.

A La-5FN (with lightning bolt)

Another La-5FN without lightning bolt

This one adorned also with a lightning bolt, I don't know to identify the aircraft (La-5F, 5FN or La-7? The antenna wires are not very usual)

And this drawing from http://www.airwar.ru/history/aces/ace2ww/pilots/skomoroh.html, but I think it could be a confusion with the first photo above

It seems that on the photos, the aicrafts are in a AMT11/12 and 7 scheme...
Help very apprecied, TIA
Regards
St?ph.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 11:52:58 PM by steph40 » Logged

1/48 aircraft of the Aces
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 09:57:13 PM »

Hi,
plane n.56 looks to be without aerial mast. The position of the arrow, compared to the star, seems to suggest that it's not any of the planes of the photos above.
Regards
Massimo
steph40

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 10:46:43 AM »

Hello,
Finally some info in the French magazine AVIONS N?214.

The 2 first photos are a LA-5F "silver 19" with 16 victories from 164 IAP/295 IAD during December 1943. The colours are AMT11-12-7. On the 2nd photo, it's Lt G. Oniskevitch climbing aboard Skomorkhov'plane.
The 3rd photo is during Spring 1944 when Skomorokhov was Leader of the "Free Hunt" squadron in the 31 IAP/295 IAD.
And the second to last photo it's a La-5FN "white 56" flown by Skomorokhov in February 1945 in Hungary. The antenna mast was removed to gain some speed and the cables fit directly in the fuselage.

Cheers
Steph.

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2016, 09:03:55 PM »

Hi Steph,
could you show the photos, please?
Regards
Massimo
steph40

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 11:12:30 AM »

Here is the new. The others photos are the ones I posted above.

I am not convinced by the camo in AMT11-12-7. If the number is the good font, I'd say that the camo was AMT4-6-7... Any opinion about that ?

Cheers
St?ph.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 02:38:02 PM by steph40 » Logged

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 09:21:39 AM »

Hi Steph,
I agree that the fonts of 19 are uncompatible withthe grey/grey camouflage: I've seen (few) photos of black-green Lavochkins with large fonts and none of grey/grey ones with small fonts. Besides I see that the red star on the fuselage, on the photo, has only a white outline, not a red one, so the plane could have come out from factory without the outline.
The position of the red star is forward as on planes with the wide font of numbers; usually, planes with small fonts had the star moved rearward as LaGG-3s.
A La-5F with stars forward, without white outline from factory, wide numbers could be compatible both with black-green and grey-grey camouflage, and could have been built around june/july 1943. 
The subcession of changes in factory finish looks to be: small to large fonts and move forward of the stars in summer (june?) 1943, grey/grey camouflage in mid july, white-red bordered stars at the beginning of August.
If the black blotch in front of the windshield of the first photo is a real characteristic of the plane and not a defect of the photo, this could be compatible with an extension of the black blotch on the nose sides.
Here i have a page on La-5f, still very rough and  uncomplete and not yet linked from the main page; I'll complete it on next winter. I think you could find something useful anyway.
http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/la5/la5f/la5f.html

Regards
Massimo
steph40

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 12:41:55 PM »

Hi Massimo,
I didn't notice the position of the star, I agree, I also think it's a large style font. Regarding the black blotch in front of the windscreen, I think it's a defect of the photo. If it was a part of black color, I think we should see the nose in front of the windscreen and a part of the background in light color.
Here is my interpretation... May be the star is white outlined instead of silver and the number could be white with red or blue outlining. What do you think about ?
Thank you for the link about La-5F page, very useful.  Smiley

Regards
Steph

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2016, 08:22:53 PM »

Hi Steph,
I think that the outlines of the numbers should be blue as on the only known wrecks of Lavochkins.  On the photo of 56 they appear markedly darker than the red star.
Is there a way to know the serie number of his plane?
here http://www.warheroes.ru/hero/hero.asp?Hero_id=2 I see him in front of a La-5FN with an apparently red ring, not white. Are you sure that it should be white?
Regards
Massimo
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 10:12:04 PM by Massimo Tessitori » Logged
steph40

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2016, 10:46:12 PM »

Hi Massimo,
I didn't succed to find the serie number of his plane...
I'm not sure about the white ring. I think the photo is a part of some taken in the same time probably in Hungary late in 1944 and not in February 1945, 31 IAP received La-7 late in December 1944.

Same clothes and propeller in the same position on the 2 photos.

The only sure thing is the white spinner. I think to build my model (La-5F "White 19" only with white spinner and no red on the cowl.

Regards
St?ph

Dric

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2016, 10:51:44 AM »

Hello all,

please excuse my maybe silly question, but I saw on the modified profile you posted last day (the one with the big bort) that you use a different shade of white for the bort and for the white border of the star by example.
Is there any particular reason for the bort to be of a darker shade than the white of the star ?  
(I saw the A-11 sample in the page http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/colors/color-table.html) with the variation in shade.

Thanks and bests
Dric
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 11:36:00 AM by Dric » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2016, 09:34:56 PM »

Hi,
I've often noticed the dark shade of the numbers. I think that the color aged and reacted with the stains becoming darker. On this plane, the white paint of the number was the oldest one, then the outline of the star was added, then the arrow that has the lighter shade of white.
Regards
Massimo
steph40

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2020, 12:49:48 AM »

Hello,

I allow myself to go back up this old thread to get your opinion please.
It seems that the first photo in my first post was taken late in December 1943. It means that it was in 164th IAP and not in 31st IAP. Skomorokov joined 31st IAP during April 1944. These 2 units belonged to 295 IAD, it explains the lightning on the fuselage...
Taking all of this into account, shouldn't Skomorokov's mount late in 1943 look like this?

Any opinion ? TIA, best regards
Stéph

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2020, 02:39:18 PM »

Hi Steph,
my doubt is that a photo showing the 19 hasn't been seen. Where is the information about the number from? Maybe there is written on some biography, but who knows?

Regards
Massimo
steph40

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2020, 12:31:30 PM »

Hi Massimo,

Thanks for your reply  Smiley
I don't if any photos exist regarding "19". Most of the biographies about Skomorokhov talk about this famous "19" apparently flown late in 1943. Maybe pilot/ground crew memories, logbook... I don't know  Sad

Regrads
Stéph

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2020, 02:05:13 PM »

Hi Steph,
red noses became very common on Lavochkins in late 1944 to avoid confusion with FW 190.  If your plane is of late 1943, I would leave a white nose.
Regards
Massimo
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: