Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Searching info about La-5's or La-7 flown by Nikolai Mikhailovich Skomorokhov ?
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 11:19:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Searching info about La-5's or La-7 flown by Nikolai Mikhailovich Skomorokhov ?  (Read 10915 times)
steph40

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2020, 03:06:20 PM »

Hi Steph,
red noses became very common on Lavochkins in late 1944 to avoid confusion with FW 190.  If your plane is of late 1943, I would leave a white nose.
Regards
Massimo

Thank you Massimo but I'm a little confused with the nose color  Huh. I used the informations here http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/la5/la5/la5-57of164iap/la5-57of164iap.html and here http://ava.org.ru/iap/164.htm which suggest red nose.

Thanks to enlighten me, regards.
Stéph

1/48 aircraft of the Aces
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2020, 03:59:21 PM »

Hi Steph,
I would know where the information on the white nose comes from. I wouldn't use the profile of n.57 as a reference for the nose if there are other contrasting informations, you can see that the photo of that plane is very dark on the nose and other interpretations are possible.
Photos of other La-5F of 31 iap and 116 iap, same division and timeframe, seem to suggest a white spinner and camouflaged ring.
Regards
Massimo
steph40

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2020, 08:15:32 PM »

Still thank you Massimo  Smiley
So, I corrected the illustration, Skomorokhov mount late in 1943 (as "most" probable)...

Still thank you for your help and knowledge, regards  Smiley
Stéph

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2020, 06:38:06 AM »

You're welcome Steph, I hope that we won't find contrasting informations in future, if you have a model to paint. It's always a risk.
Now I'm wondering what to do with the profile of 57, the red nose in 1943 doesn't seem supported by photos of other planes of the division. Perhaps the ring is missing in the photo and what we see is a black hole with the engine only.
Regards
Massimo
steph40

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2020, 11:08:39 AM »

Hello MAssimo,

Here is the last infos that Mr Stankov gave to me yesterday regarding this aircraft:

164 IAP (295 IAD). La-5F No.39210719, #19 flown by Lieutenant Skomorokhov N.M., aircraft mechanic: senior sergeant P. Martyushev.
La-5F #19 took part in the battles near Kharkov, Belgorod, Kursk, again Kharkov, Zaporozhye, Nikopol from March 1943 until March 1944.
Airbase:
Lower Duvanka airfield (from 03.1943-),
Kremennaya airfield (from 08/23/1943 -),
Gemini airfield (from 09.1943 -),
Sinelnikovo airfield (from 09.1943-),
Solenoe airfield (from 12.1943 -)

With these informations, this aircraft was very probably delivered in AMT4/6/7 camo. Looking at the photo taken late in 1943, maybe this aircraft was repainted in AMT11/12...
Mr Stankov thinks there was only one diagonal white stripe on the vertical tail. He thinks the white stripes on vertical tails were squadron markings in 164 IAP, not unit markings of 295 IAD (31, 116 & 164 IAP)... => So another point to clarify...!!!  Grin

Regards
Stéph

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2020, 09:53:44 PM »

Hi Steph,
looking at available photos of 31 iap, you can see one line. http://ava.org.ru/iap/31.htm
In 116 iap. 2 lines, http://ava.org.ru/iap/116.htm
in 164 iap, 3 lines http://ava.org.ru/iap/164.htm
So it was a regimental marking inside the division.
If the plane was delivered in March 1943, surely its camo was black and green, at least in origin. Probably the number font were small too. I don't know about successive repaintings.
Regards
Massimo
Anton Petrov

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2021, 06:08:36 PM »

Was interesting to read this thread.  Thanks for the discussion:) Will be great to find some memoirs or other literature/documents where the number of this plane can be confirmed.  My small contribution:

So it was a regimental marking inside the division.
I believe Massimo is correct.

About the spinner colour,
on ava.org.ru it's been suggested that the spinners of the three regiments mentioned above might have been:

White- 116th IAP
Blue - 31st IAP
Red - 164th IAP

If this is correct, then Skomorohov's plane,  while it belonged to the 164th IAP, might have had a red spinner.

And Steph,  as I already mentioned about the lightning/arrow - in my opinion the emblem of the 295th IAD was an arrow in the shape of a lightning. Meaning that the shaft was probably the same thickness throughout (like a shaft of an arrow), and had an arrow-like tail on the end of it.  This image shows the end of the (lightning)arrow well . Also,  the tails of most of the lightnings/arrows in 295th IAD seem to be extended past the number,  so chances are that White-19's arrow's tail extended past the number too.

About the initial colour of the plane,  it's hard to tell from the info that A.Stankov provided, because there seems to be a discrepancy. If the serial number of this plane was 39210719 that means that it was a type 39 plane of the 7th series. 7th series,  in theory were  built in autumn of 1943.  Which means that this plane could not have existed yet in spring and summer of 1943. And if it was built in autumn then it would have been given a grey/grey camouflage at the factory since the factories switched to this camo scheme in July 1943.

It's worth noting that the plane in the photo attached above seems to have a green/black camouflage. So maybe Skomorohov's plane was painted green/black after all,  but the serial number that we are using as reference is wrong?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2021, 06:21:15 PM by Anton Petrov » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2021, 11:01:07 AM »

Hi,
if the aim is to reproduce the plane with starlets of the first photo of the thread, now I see that the frames of the rear window visible thorough the sliding hood are different from those of the second photo that is a 'bubble' canopy, so I think that the plane is a razorback La-5.
Regards
Massimo
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2021, 12:46:34 PM »

Hi, Steph can't reply here, he has done on https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/threads/240-iap-la-5f-fn.57269/page-3#post-1697351   puntualising that the horizontal frame of the windshield is typical of La-5F/FN, not of razorback ones.

Hi Steph hi Anton, I see, you are right about the frame. This gives a further suggestion: the La-5F has to be of early production, without jettisonable rails, to justify the difference of height of the rear frame visible through the opened sliding hood. This encourages to think that the factory painting was black and green, but it could have been repainted grey later. The star is in forward position, so the numbers have to be big.
Regards
Massimo
steph40

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2022, 04:58:08 PM »

Hello,

Yes ! I can reply  Smiley Cheesy
Allow me to post here the last version of the "probable" La-5F "white 19" flown by N. Skomorokhov late in 1943.

Thanks to Massimo and Anton for their help and knowledge  Smiley

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2022, 05:24:42 PM »

Hi Steph,
welcome again. I'm happy that you managed to post, I hope that there won't be these difficulties again but they are out of my control.
Nice profile indeed.
Regards
Massimo
Anton Petrov

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2022, 01:48:04 PM »

A much needed profile  and it looks great too:)  considering the caliber of the pilot that flew it I am surprised that so little info exists about this airplane.  Good on you Steph for tackling this subject  and for producing a well researched and beautifully looking result. well done!:)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2022, 01:58:17 PM by Anton Petrov » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: