Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
MiG-3 in non-standard camo
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 12:04:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: MiG-3 in non-standard camo  (Read 16071 times)
Troy Smith

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2016, 01:29:32 PM »

Hi,

Why is it called rice pattern?
Regards
Massimo

Hi colleagues Smiley

This is a sample of not usual but particulary standart camo, for certain region. This color scheme is nothing but a schematic picture of rice field. Such camo is massively used in the Asian region - Manchjuria, China and the Soviet Far East. This particular plane was based at Primorsky region, at some places then I was born Smiley. Real colors of this plane is almost like this:

http://previews.123rf.com/images/javarman/javarman1310/javarman131000147/22927312-Rice-terraces-of-Yuanyang-Yunnan-China-Stock-Photo.jpg
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2016, 07:33:13 PM »

Hi,
beautiful image indeed.
I see a lot of colors here, this makes more difficult to be sure about the colors of the planes.
Regards
Massimo
Psy06

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2016, 10:12:27 AM »

Hi,
Yeath Smiley the main value of the photos MiGs and I-16, that it's a solid proof that the rice pattern is not individual creative of mechanics, but a official Far East color scheme which has been used for painting the whole regiments.
Indeed.  
Why is it called rice pattern?
Regards
Massimo

Name by type of terrain, where such camo should be used, it's not official, because official name unknown.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 10:39:55 AM by Psy06 » Logged
Psy06

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2016, 10:19:11 AM »

Hi,
beautiful image indeed.
I see a lot of colors here, this makes more difficult to be sure about the colors of the planes.
Regards
Massimo

Modern photos more photoshopped then real, you know Smiley Real nature colors more "natural".

AC colors should be standart, from known factory pattern, other colors can't be, because it is simply not factory produced. And unauthorized mixing of paints as far as I know, was not allowed.

Here at Burche (Soviet expert in disguise, participated in the creation AC patterms 30th-40th.) is a little about the rules of construction of rice camouflage:

In cases where the nature of the terrain does not allow for the introduction of camouflage stains quite different in brightness, and a danger of their merger at a distance smaller than it should be for tactical requirements, applicable border spots (Fig.81).
Two neighboring dark spots should be separated by a light border, light gray or light green, two adjacent bright spots must be separated by a dark - black or dark brown border.
Border width is taken in the range of 5-10 cm and is in direct proportion to the size of the shared spots, as well as the distance at which you want to save a break.
Then larger in size and richer color on the spot, and the more of viewing distance, the greater should be the width of the border.

As we know in real, light green and dark brown paints wasn't factory produced, thus borders were only two colors - light gray and black. Have big possibility, that light gray color on the respective planes, and at appropriate times could be replaced with silver paint.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 01:50:54 PM by Psy06 » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2016, 07:05:02 AM »

Hi,
if I remember well, Burke wrote also that the best camouflaging colors were the dominant color of ground when seen from above, and the dominant color seen obliquely. This would leave to black only the role of thin outlines. Taking as likely that there has to be green AMT-4, I guess that the other color is AMT-1. Pity that it's too late to look for someone  still alive that saw the real planes.
Regards
Massimo
Psy06

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2016, 11:06:52 AM »

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2016, 03:20:11 PM »

Hi,
I don't think that this is fundamentally a black/green camouflage, not with the usual shades at least. The medium shade gives the same contrast to light blue that AMT-1 seen on the rear fuselage of Shturmoviks.
If the colors are the same of the other 'Siberian' photos (apart for the thin lines, white instead of black) the darker shade of the wide bands has to be lighter than black, utilized for the thin lines.  
The darker color of the camouflage appears lighter than the red outline of the stars, that is unlikely for a glossy black.

I think that the main difference between these MiG-3s is the use of white lines instead of black ones because of the snow on the ground; that is: what we see are a summer and a winter versions of the same camouflage.

It's interesting to see that, although the photo of the Po-2 is dated 1942, its red star has a white outline; so I wonder if these planes utilized white-re doutlined red stars before August/September 1943.

Regards
Massimo
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 06:51:43 PM by Massimo Tessitori » Logged
Psy06

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2016, 04:10:49 PM »

Hi, I don't think that this is fundamentally a black/green camouflage,

Agree, it is basically green 1940 paint sheme, because non standart dark spots. But we should not overly complicate, if not in fact good reason. I think that in this situation, no such.
66misos

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2016, 06:14:14 PM »

Hi,
I found nice profile by Kazakov Alex of the plane above:

A slightly different interpretation on the photo:

regards,
   66misos

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2016, 10:06:23 PM »

Hi Misos,
nuce drawing, thank you for sharing it.
Anyway, I don't think that a wide amount of black nearly without green is camouflaging on the grounds we see.
But... I see a medium shaded part without white border on the tail, over the stabilizer. Perhaps this interpretation is right, and just needs some more green.
Regards
Massimo
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: