Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Pe-2 windscreen lines
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 03:49:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pe-2 windscreen lines  (Read 5785 times)
otto

« on: June 17, 2016, 03:54:13 PM »

Hello everybody
As my Terminator is approaching the end, I am planning my next model. Among the favorite candidates stands Zvezda's 1/48 Pe-2.
On both lateral windscreen windows there are three slanting lines.

While I think that the lines on Il-2 windscreen, often described as "aiming lines", are joints of the bulletproof glass elements, the lines on the Pe-2 seem to me really painted for aiming purpose.
Can anyone confirm this? And what color could they be? Black? White? Red?
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 09:50:02 PM »

Hi Otto,
Pe-2 of Zvezda looks a good choice.
From the photos, lines can't be red or black.  I suppose white.
I'm very interested to see your Terminator.  I've completed my T-90A of Meng just today.
Regards
Massimo
otto

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 10:35:47 PM »

I supposed white as well.
I am currently working on a soldier figure to put beside the Terminator. The tank is more or less finished, but some dressing is still missing...
Tomorrow I will attend the Italian Modeling Championship in Empoli, and I am sure it will unleash a hormonal storm about which model start (or restart) next  Huh. I cheated too long my beloved WW1 biplanes...
Pictures of the T-90, please!
66misos

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 02:46:35 PM »

Hi,
those 3 lines are not at the front windows of these Pe-2:

Screenshots from simulator showing those 3 lines:

All pictures are from http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4171&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I do not know either purpose of them or whether they were on all Pe-2.
Regards,
   66misos

otto

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 03:31:00 PM »

Red lines would be a nice touch!
It seems to me that the lines were applied on mid-late pe-2s only (those with the gunner's turret), and that their use was quite widespread. I would be really happy of getting rid of them, but I fear that, when we cannot see them, is due to the low quality or angle of the picture.

It seems that the angle of the lines was not always the same, as shown in these two pictures.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 03:33:15 PM by otto » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 05:40:53 PM »

Hi, I suppose that they were references for dive bombing and had to be aligned to the horizon, and that were painted on the left side only. I haven't made my researches till now.
Regards
Massimo
otto

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 08:31:43 PM »

Hello Massimo
The lines were on the right side as well.

I saw other pictures on books confirming this.
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 12:58:17 PM »

Hi Otto
M-82... could be a nice conversion.
regards
Massimo
Graham Boak

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 03:41:53 PM »

It is one I am considering, but there is a surprising amount of redesign around the nacelle to make them fit.  As they were used in the dedicated reconnaissance role, there would be little use for the dive indicators on the windscreen, but once these things are standardised you're stuck with them.  This example has also retained the dive brakes.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: