Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Polikarpov I-16 tip-10 1/48 Eduard
Sovietwarplanes
March 19, 2024, 06:15:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Polikarpov I-16 tip-10 1/48 Eduard  (Read 3690 times)
Ohotnyik

« on: December 29, 2016, 10:32:27 AM »

Polikarpov I-16 type-10 Rata

I've been interested in this paint scheme for a long while and I have been looking for how to paint it.

I think I don't have to introduce the Eduard kit to anyone. Basically builds well with small amount of parts and problematic areas. I didn't spend much time on the interior because one cannot see much into the tight cockpit. Painting seemed more interesting to me then the construction. After assembling the model, I painted the surfaces with Mr. Paint's primer. I think it's better to spray the primer wet on the surface so that it eats itself a little into the plastic. Primer applied dried to the surface tends to come off when masking is used over it.

After a bit of searching, I found Gunze's H-8 silver the best on the market. After silver was applied I sealed the paint with Mr.Paint's clear varnish. Here I had to decide which decals to use. I found Eduard's winged marking too small but Begemot's was perfect. Based on reference photos on the fuselage I think the Begemot stars are too small, but Eduard's are fine in size. For the wing, again I think Begemot's decal sizing is good. Here I needed a little luck, because the red used by the two decal companies are either the same or the difference is not notable. I masked the contour of the markings with masks since they were painted around in reality as well. Then came the riskiest part because if I screw it, I can start all over again. I had to select such a paint that doesn't conflict with the one underneath. Valejo's water based paint from the Modelcolor line was obvious. I looked for a flat brush that matched in size a 1:48 scale whitewasher and brushed on the paint half dry while paying attention to the main characteristics seen on the reference. The brush painted surface was a little rough so I sanded it with a fine 4000 paper afterwards. Gloss coating enhanced this structure even more. Needless to say I got a little bit afraid. Both Begemot and Eduard decals worked well during application and softened well with Microscale liquid. I sprayed Mr.Paint matte varnish for the final coat that nicely took back the shine of silver and covered the remaining brush marks. In order to accentuate the main components of the model, I slightly weathered the surfaces around the panel lines and service panels. Quicboost's gunsight for the I-153 was a great help that of course is good for the I-16 as well. I combined this part with Eduard's PE crosshair.

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 11:54:12 AM »

Hi,
it looks a very fine model. I like this livery very much, and your model renders it very well.
Regards
Massimo
learstang

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 09:02:37 PM »

Brilliant model! Beautifully grungy on the top!

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: