Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Yak-3 - more information needed
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 11:28:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Yak-3 - more information needed  (Read 8000 times)
Basilisk

« on: April 15, 2017, 11:45:35 AM »

First I am very glad that the site is back as it is a very valuable resource.

Yes I know, I still have to finish my Yak-1 build which is currently on hold. But for now I am keen having a go at my first 1/32 scale kit.

The kit comes with several choices for Normandie-Niemen aircraft, but I prefer an aircraft from a regular VVS unit. Fortunately Begemont just released their Yak-3 decals in a 1/32 version  Grin

The sheet includes all the favoured markings seen already on many Yak-3 builds. But there is one aircraft covered on the new sheet which is new and not on the smaller scale sheets!

Unfortunately I don't have the decals yet and the PDF of the instructions is difficult to read. But I was unsuccessful finding any information on this aircraft.

Does someone know more about it and does a picture exist from this aircraft?

Any information is much appreciated.
Cheers, Peter
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 03:40:33 PM by Basilisk » Logged
Basilisk

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 10:06:01 AM »

I did came across this colour profile of this aircraft.

Interesting that the spelling of the pilots name has a different spelling.

Begemont = Vladimir Ermokhin (difficult to read on the PDF)
Profile =      Valentin Yermokhine

Which spelling is correct?

I am still hopeful that someone knows of a picture of this aircraft.
Cheers, Peter
66misos

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 02:44:59 PM »

Hi,
I found only these Yak-3 from 402 iap:

Non of them has white spiral on the spinner. Unfortunately no photo of Ermokhin's Yak-3.
Regards,
   66mios

Basilisk

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 02:48:14 PM »

Thank you for posting these pictures - very interesting.

I wonder on what basis the artwork was created? Still hopeful something shows up.

Cheers, Peter
Basilisk

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 03:47:05 PM »

I asked the same question at Britmodeller and Dimmy had the answer!

source is http://soviet-aces-1936-53.ru

I will definitely use this scheme with my Special Hobby kit build!

Cheers, Peter
Basilisk

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 03:50:56 PM »

Now as I decided to make my kit in the colours of 114, I have some general Yak-3 questions.

In the picture below there is a pipe from the centre of the floor to the armament (number 48).

Was this pipe fitted to all the Yak-3? I am asking because I can't see it on any pictures of Yak-3s in museums and I couldn't find any period cockpit pictures.

And what was the colours of the wheel wells? Grey A14 or light blue AMT7? Most restored aircraft have them painted in light blue AMT7. Is this correct?

I much appreciate any help.
Cheers, Peter
Johann

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 07:08:05 AM »

This tube is the sleeve of the gun
Basilisk

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2017, 03:25:56 PM »

This tube is the sleeve of the gun
Thanks Johann, but what is this "sleeve" used for and was it fitted in all cockpits?

No tube on this period picture of a Yak-3.

It can be seen in Yak-1 cockpits, but maybe it was never in the Yak-3?

Cheers, Peter
Basilisk

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 12:51:45 PM »

Rather quiet around here lately  Sad I am still on a quest to find out if this pipe 48 was fitted to the Yak-3 cockpit.

I have been told that the text for point 48 reads that this pipe is the ejection chute for spent ammunition. Now I can't see it on any pictures. The only evidence of a possible existence of this pipe can be seen on the picture below, the Le Bourget aircraft under restoration.

The aircraft contains the metal ring on the cockpit floor where the pipe goes through in the graphic.

The reason I do bring this up again is the new A-Resin detail set for the 1/32 Special Hobby Yak-3.

Yes it does contain the pipe! Of course this doesn't mean it is correct.
More pictures here http://www.master194.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=99438

Personally I think that this detail set isn't researched very well. Just have a look at the seat harness.

The lap harness has a resemblance with a Sutton A type harness, but the shoulder harness has nothing in common with a Sutton A type harness at all!

The Yak-3 pilot manual shows how it works and the harness in this detail set can't be locked together.

Still would love to know if this pipe existed in the Yak-3 cockpit.

I am close to complete my cockpit of the Yak-3 and I will post some pictures when done.
Cheers, Peter

« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 01:11:07 PM by Basilisk » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2017, 10:29:34 AM »

Hi Peter,
about an ejection chute for shells: it doesn't make sense for me, it is too narrow and with curves, shells would block it. On a first look on drawings, I don't find any opening on the outside just in front of the ventral cooler. I wonder if it is a duct for hot air from the cooler, but I am not sure it makes sense. If so, a plane could fly both with and without it. Or an aspirator for fumes?
I think that it's possible to contact the restorer of the Yak-3 of bourget. He posted something on this forum some years ago, one has to look for his name and send a personal mail.
Your clarification about harness is very useful even for other types.
Regards
Massimo
Basilisk

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2017, 01:26:30 PM »

Thank you for your reply Massimo. I too don't think that the pipe can be an ejection chute for shells for the reasons you stated.

This pipe being a duct for hot air to stop the guns from freezing  is plausible as it does enter the cockpit floor where the radiator is. Maybe it was only fitted during the winter month.

I will see if I can contact the person you mentioned.
Cheers, Peter
KL

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2017, 06:07:55 PM »

Hi Peter,
The pipe shown in the cockpit drawing is clearly labeled as "gil'zootvod" which means "spent cartridges chute". In early Yaks, empty cartridges were collected in canister which was located under the canon breach. Following diagram shows how cartridges and links were collected in Yak-9:

Following drawing shows how cartridges and links were collected in "3-point Yak-3"

Canister for empty canon cartridges was now located above the canon muzzle. Cartridge route is indicated with curved arrow in the left side of the drawing. If your model is a standard Yak-3 with 2 UBS, it did not have cartridge chute in the cockpit...

Interesting that the spelling of the pilots name has a different spelling.

Begemont = Vladimir Ermokhin (difficult to read on the PDF)
Profile =      Valentin Yermokhine

Which spelling is correct?

I would spell phonetically something like Yermohin
"e" like e in pen, "i" like i in pin

HTH, KL
Basilisk

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2017, 04:23:57 PM »

Many thanks KL for providing this information regarding the pipe. Great to know what it is used fore and that it wasn't fitted in the Yak-3 I am building!

Cheers, Peter

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: