Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Pe-2 profiles
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 02:48:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Pe-2 profiles  (Read 15421 times)
66misos

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

« on: June 25, 2017, 02:10:17 PM »

Hi,
here I have started work on Pe-2 in early version:

It should be this plane:

Regards,
   66misos

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 02:43:02 PM »

Hi Misos,
to tell the truth, the profile isn't convincing for my eye. The nose is too sharp, the lower profile of the engine is too curved, the curvature of the engine cowling is too continue while it should be nearly straight far from the prop; the spinner is  too conical while its rear part should appear more cylindrical.  Check the change in angulation of the fuselage back corresponding to the hatch of the rear gunner.
The inclination of the longitudinal frame of the canopy should change behind the pilot's seat.
Regards
Massimo
66misos

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 04:52:58 PM »

Hi Massimo,
thank you a lot for constructive comment. Smiley Here I corrected according to the other drawings and photos what you mentioned. Not sure everything is OK, but I have not better source material.

Regards,
   66misos

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 07:08:43 PM »

Hi Misos,
the profile is much better, but the strut of the canopy looks still wrong to my eye. The horizontal strut aside the pilot's head shouldn't have the same horizontal inclination of the rear part, but should be descending forward.
Regards
Massimo
66misos

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 12:44:12 AM »

Hi Massimo,,
I corrected that part of canopy, not easy in Photoshop layers. And here is the finished profile:

Regards,
   66misos

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 06:13:34 AM »

Hi Misos,
it is an excellent drawing.
From the photo, i have the vague impression of a black outline around the stars. What about other Pe-2s?
Regards
Massimo
learstang

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 07:31:28 AM »

Beautiful Peshka, Misos!

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
66misos

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 09:17:23 AM »

Hi Gents,
thank for comments Smiley Massimo, without your help I will not be so nice.

Now I work on late war version of Pe-2, it will be 4-view (L, R, T, B). However, I cannot find any photo or set of photos reliable showing camouflage on all sides or at least giving hints what NKAP template was used.
Here are preliminary candidates from http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/pe2/pe2camo/pe2camo.htm that seem to follow the 1st NKAP template with some modifications:

or this "White 01" of Lieutnant Colonel V.I.Rankov (Guard emblem is that light blotch on the nose? Was it on both sides?):

Any help appreciated.
Regards,
   66misos

learstang

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 05:49:24 PM »

It seems to me to that emblems were usually painted on the port side, so if it's on the starboard side, it's probably on the port side also. Of course the photograph could be reversed!  Grin

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2017, 07:19:56 PM »

Hi Misos,
two more tips on the shadows;
the shadow of the wing on the nacelle should be somewhat convergent, the wing being tapered;
I would make some more shadow under the rear fillet of the wing-fuselage joint, that projects shadows under itself and part of the gunner's nacelle;
I would avoid the 'double darkness' where the projected shadows of wings and tail and the blurried shadows under the fuselage are overposed. noticeably on the main gear doors.

About the camouflage, I see that Pe-2s had somewhat mixed patterns. If I remember well, they often had brown bands on the central part of the fuselage and on the nose.
Regards
Massimo
66misos

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2017, 11:40:42 PM »

Hi,
thank you for comments.
...the shadow of the wing on the nacelle should be somewhat convergent, the wing being tapered;
I would make some more shadow under the rear fillet of the wing-fuselage joint, that projects shadows under itself and part of the gunner's nacelle;
Massimo, you are absolutely right, I missed it.

...I would avoid the 'double darkness' where the projected shadows of wings and tail and the blurried shadows under the fuselage are overposed. noticeably on the main gear doors.
Here I am not so sure. On the side of the nacelle could be more difuse light from sides tham on the bottom. IMHO there could be some difference in the intense of the shadows.

Anyhow, I will check/correct shadows when I do Pe-2 late version in Photoshop which I have already started:

It will be Rankov's plane.
Regards,
    66misos
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 01:39:08 AM by 66misos » Logged

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2017, 05:21:48 AM »

Hi Misos,
it's a good start, but the brown band, though oblique, should be moved backwards on this plane, and the grey band should cross the dorsal hatch.
Regards
Massimo
66misos

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2017, 12:05:39 AM »

Hi Massimo,
I have found this photo on the web:

Compare it with NKAP scheme:

or this photo:

- rear fuselage seems to be repainted by relatevely bright light brown - border between green and original darker light brown goes from the dorsal hatch to side window (exactly like variant 1 of NKAP scheme) while border between older darker light brown and new brighter light brown goes directly upward from the side window,
- tail iseems to be repainted by green, although it should be light brown (bright part is shining, not light brown)
and
- horizontal stabilizers are exactly according to the NKAP scheme (righr part is light brown while left part is combination of dark grey and green - here dark grey is darker than green,
- end of the tail is dark - repainted dark grey?
- left winf also pretty well fit NKAP scheme,
- right wing - it is in the same shadow like horizontal stabilizer, but right side of the hor. stab is apparently brighter that any color on the right upperwing - IMHO right upperwing is combination of dark grey and green, may be only right tip of the wing is light brown. Part between fuselage and nacelle is green, dark areas/stripes are exhaust stains, but part of the wing from the nacelle to the right looks like Variant 2 of the NKAP. Probably this (part of) wing was also repainted.

WIP, a little advancement:

Regards,
  66misos

PS: Correct name of the pilot is V.I. Rakov from 12 gbap, not Rankov like here http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/pe2/pe2camo/pe2camo.htm
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 01:48:48 AM by 66misos » Logged

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2017, 02:46:10 PM »

Hi Misos,
a decision on the painting of the right wing is difficult, but I see, in order from the wingroot:
- a dark part as the fuselage, presumably green, on direct sunlight;
- a brief part of the same color in the shadow area projected by the nacelle;
- a change to a lighter shade in the shadow area;
- the shade is the same, apart for two dark stripes of smoke, up to the beginning of the aileron;
- a change to a darker shade, probably a green or dark grey band; its profile is discontinue on the passage between wing and aileron;
- then it returns to a lighter shade; if green and grey appears in the same way, this can easily be brown.
I agree that it isn't the same shade of the right uppersurface of stabilizer and elevator.
Alternatively, we can suppose that green and grey are well distinguishable, and the front part of the fuselage has green-grey-green-grey bands, more than we see on the template that shows brown and green only on this area; this could mean that a part of brown surface was repainted with grey and green.
I agree that the right stabilizator is monochromatic and there is shining.

Thank you about the correction of the name Rakov. I'll change the page soon.

Regards
Massimo

66misos

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2017, 09:39:28 PM »

Hi Massimo,
thanks a lot for comment and your view. I combined it with pictures and my view and here are finished both sideviews:

And now let's continue with upper and bottom surfaces.

Regards,
   66misos

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: