Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Hurricane IIc in VVS
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 09:38:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Hurricane IIc in VVS  (Read 43041 times)
Audrius

« on: November 02, 2005, 03:43:40 PM »

hi friends,
at the moment I am building Hurricane IIc by Revell that is supposed to represent RAF. But since I have got a second kit of IIc as well, that could represent IIc in VVS. But I am lacking info on those particularly in VVS.  At the moment I can recall only one picture , very poor of IIc in VVS. Due it'is quality it was not possible to define any camo on it. Even worse, I have lost the place where I saw it!  Huh
Would appreciate if you would share info on the subject.

Regards, Audrius
JP
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 06:17:52 PM »

I knew they had some, but you're a little ahead of me in that I have never seen an image of one.? I finally gave up and just got the 1/48 Hasegawa MkIIb.? I hope someone finds it.? Maybe I will look again.? I would like to see it!
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2005, 12:06:32 AM »

I think to have seen an image of an all-black Soviet Hurricane, but I don't remember where, and I am suspecting to have dreamed it by night. Sad
Massimo
Dark Green Man

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2005, 01:48:39 AM »

I also have no knowledge of the IIC in VVS service.
they did get a fair number of IIB's though.
that pattern is actually fairly common.

would you like a scan ?

(silly question, right?)

"when we lose the right to be different, we lose the priviledge to be free"--Charles Evans Hughes
Audrius

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2005, 10:29:39 AM »

hello DGM!

I also have no knowledge of the IIC in VVS service.they did get a fair number of IIB's though. that pattern is actually fairly common.
would you like a scan ? (silly question, right?)

Yes I would prefere to see the picture of it, please!
For sure, VVS has got many of IIB, but there were plenty of IIc as well. And I wonder why there is so little documentaion on this type of Hurri!  Huh
I will try to recall where I saw that the only pic of IIc and 'll post here.

BR Audrius
Audrius

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2005, 04:16:58 PM »

hi
Here you are the only pic that is known to me of IIc in VVS. It is taken from "Hawker Hurricane p.2" by AJ-Press.

The caption of pic says this Hurri belonged to 486 IAP PVO.
Due to quality it's difficult to track the camo of this IIc, neverthelless it is a small evidence of the usage those 20 mm canons  in VVS.

BR Audrius
JP
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2005, 04:19:35 PM »

Yes, too bad almost the whole aircraft is reflecting the sky!
Dark Green Man

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2005, 01:44:44 AM »

Audrius,

yesterday I recieved a new book ...

"Air Arsenal North America"
aircraft for the allies 1938-1945
purchase and Lend-Lease
by Phil Butler andDan Hagedorn
Midland Publishing
ISBN 1-85780-163-6

page 134 states that under the Russian protocols of Lend-lease 1,130 Hawker Hurricane IIC's were allocated to the Soviet Union.
unfortunately the authors could not get Soviet documents so there is no verification of which ones actually served in the USSR.
(there is also a list of planes that were sunk during convoy)

(you were more right than you knew !)
this book also lists all the serial numbers for them.
are you looking for a specific machine? that would be easier for me than listing ALL of them.

the scans for the camo pattern will be e-mailed to you as they cannot be posted to this forum.
(they do not have an internet URL and are on my hard-drive.)

can you fix that JP ?

"when we lose the right to be different, we lose the priviledge to be free"--Charles Evans Hughes
Audrius

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2005, 05:27:28 PM »

hello

> yesterday I recieved a new book ...

You are lucky  Grin Is it freshly published one?

> are you looking for a specific machine? that would be easier for me than listing ALL of them.

Regarding IIc VVS I have non of them in specific, 'cause simply they are not known to me!  Grin
Regarding RAF the specific one is BD949

> the scans for the camo pattern will be e-mailed to you as they cannot be posted to this forum.
(they do not have an internet URL and are on my hard-drive.)
can you fix that JP ?

Yes John is it possible to make loading the pictures on the board server or similar? That would make life easier  Grin

BR Audrius
Dark Green Man

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2005, 02:04:59 AM »

Audrius,
the book is listed as "first printing 2004"

I can find BD 942 in the list ,but not BD 949.
please keep in mind this list is for aircraft allocated to the USSR,
it does not have listings for every hurricane ever built.
because it is not in the list it did not go to the Soviet Union.
(but, you knew that already)

it also seems there were 52 Mark IIC's also delivered "extra to protocol"
in replacement for aircraft rejected by the Soviets.

exec228

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2006, 10:05:04 PM »

http://airwar.ru/history/av2ww/soviet/hurr2d/hurr2d.html
marluc

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2008, 09:11:32 PM »

Hello everybody:

In this thread there?s a photo posted by Audrius but all I can see is the white rectangle with the red cross.Is the photo below?

I think it does as I extracted it from AJ-Press book Monografie Lotnicze part 2,issue 52 page 8.The caption says something of a 486 IAP as Audrius quoted in his message.The plane?s surface reflects to much light but a pair of demarcation lines between colours can be seen over both wings but no red stars.Also,there are what looks like a patch on the tail covering the RAF fin flag and a circle of paint over the RAF roundel in the fuselage.
Best regards.

Martin
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 09:10:50 PM by marluc » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008, 01:35:35 PM »

Hi Martin, Smiley
I think to see the camo lines, the patch and maybe something of a Brititish code, but that is all. Not enough for a model or a profile.
Massimo
marluc

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2008, 12:49:25 PM »

Hi Massimo:
I think to see the camo lines, the patch and maybe something of a Brititish code, but that is all. Not enough for a model or a profile.
Thanks for your comments.You?re right,I would like to make a MkIIC in soviet service,but this photo is not good enough.What attracted my attention was the fact that this Hurricane has no red stars in the rudder and fuselage.
Best regards:

Martin
Dark Green Man

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2008, 04:22:09 PM »

by the time the IIC was in production 'Day Fighter Finish' (pattern A) was the norm ,so you know what the pattern? and we can make a fair guess as to the colors.
as for the photo itself...the RAF fin flash is definitely painted over (indicating RAF service) but I can't tell if the same was done for the upper-wings. red stars should be visible in these locations but they are not.
the fuselage seems to show part of the RAF serial number and to me seems to end in ...59
I can't tell if there is or was a tail-band - maybe it didn't have one.
as for the fuselage star I would say 'can't tell because some guy's head is is in the way' Smiley Cheesy
[/color]

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: