Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Yuri Shipov's LaGG 3
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 07:20:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Yuri Shipov's LaGG 3  (Read 12550 times)
Schtockus

« on: July 31, 2007, 05:58:03 PM »

? ?Hello everybody. I believe this is one of the best sites devoted to VVS RKKA. I went through all the pages and going through LaGG-3 profiles didn't find a very well known LaGG of Yuri Shipov who served in the 9-th fighter regiment of the Black sea fleet. On the moment when the foto was made he had 8 personal victories.? The 9-th fighter regiment of the Black sea fleet was engaged in a fierce air battle over Sevastopol from the very beginning of war till the surrender of the city in summer 1942. It's main opponents were JG 77 and JG 52, so you can imagine whom the 9-th regiment had to deal with. The most successful among the Black sea fighters was Lt. Ryzhov who scored during the battle of Sevastopol 10 victories. So Yuri Shipov with his 8 personal victories was so to say a runner up. The 9-th Dlack sea fleet fighter regiment started the war with I-15 bis and Yak-1 fighters. Later it was reequipped with MiG-3s. And in January 1942 it was equipped with LaGG-3s which it used until the end of war. In some magazines LaGGs of? the 9-th fighter regiment were painted in a brown and green pattern which seems to me totally unrealistic. So I tried to draw my own version of Yuri Shipov's LaGG- "The Lion of Sevastopol".? ? ?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 06:19:42 PM by Schtockus » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 08:12:14 PM »

Hi, Smiley
thank you for the compliments. To tell the truth, I can't see the image that you have uploaded.
Massimo
Dark Green Man

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 12:16:57 AM »

Please double-check your link and the BB code surrounding it, that's probably where the trouble is.
many artwork profiles in books and magazines are in-accurate for colors and camoflage patterns, so don't trust them blindly.
it is always best to have photographic evidence on-hand for whatever you are doing.
Yuri's plane featured the last camo colors used on the LaGG-3 : AMT-7/11/12 and the correct pattern can be seen on page 48 figure 14 of Soviet Air Force Fighter Colours 1941-1945 by Erik Pilawskii
on a scale of stars (1-5) I give this book a 6 !? ?Highly Recommended.
[/color]

"when we lose the right to be different, we lose the priviledge to be free"--Charles Evans Hughes
Schtockus

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 10:23:29 AM »

I did my best to attach the drawing and photos, but somehow it didn't work. May be you'll explain how to do it in a simple way? I have no problems uploading pictures at Warbirds' forum. They have a special "attach" button and I upload directly from "My pictures" file there. I've got some other stuff that I quess will be intersting to the folks at this forum.
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 09:31:14 PM »

Hi, Smiley
unfortunately it is not possible to upload directly photos here.
One has to upload them on another site, as http://www.imageshack.us/ or similar, and then link the image with "insert image".
About Shchipov's plane, white 43 with lion's head, it is probably similar to the n.24 and 32 , well visible on photos on Red Stars of Geust, Keskinen, Stenman.
Massimo
Schtockus

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 11:19:37 PM »

Hello Massimo. I did the way you said. Hope, it will work now. I quess you can do it better. Still, it's the first green-black drawing of Shipov's LaGG. Smiley))[img]http://img217.imageshack.us/my.php?image=lagg3schipov5yd2.jpg
 I also attach a photo of Yuri Shipov in his "Lion's heart" - http://img74.imageshack.us/my.php?image=shipovyuriydi1.jpg
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 11:26:58 PM by Schtockus » Logged
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 01:39:35 AM »

The profile is interesting - where did you find it? However, from the windscreen shape visible in the photo, it appears that Schipov's aircraft was a late-series LaGG-3 (series 66?). This would support the 1943 AMT-11/AMT-12/AMT-7 camouflage that is usually given for this machine, as DGM says.

John
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 10:04:34 AM »

Hi,  Smiley
is it your own drawing? Did you draw it on the paper or with a computer graphic program?
There is something lacking in your post. The name of the image should be followed by [/img] to visualize it on the forum. Maybe you could edit your post.
About the image: I suggest to blur it slightly after scanning and before saving it as .jpg. It gives a better result and lowers the image weight.
Massimo
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 04:12:11 PM »

Massimo  Smiley - try copying the URL without the [img] tag into your browser address bar; it worked for me.

John
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2007, 07:38:43 PM »

Hi John, Smiley thank you, I've already done. But it could be nice to have a post with all the images visible.
Massimo
Schtockus

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2007, 12:41:35 AM »

? ? ?Hello Massimo. I made this profile with a computer. If I get you right, the plane of Shipov is grey - dark grey? It seems to me that the colour under the cockpit is closer to black. It is too dark even for a very dark grey. The other planes of the 9-th? Black sea regiment also seem to be closer to the black-green scheme, also I may be wrong. Why don't you make a picture of Shipov's LaGG of your own? It will be much better than my.
? ?I also placed at image shack my profile of Yak-1 of Alexei Aleluhin - one of the top scoring aces of VVS RKKA.
? ?And some fotos of this plane
? ?The story of this beast is very intersting. The symbol - Leopard tearing in pieces a heart was developed by Evgeny Dranijev who served as a pilot in Aleluhin's squadron. Aleluhin as the commander of squadron ordered to paint the symbol on al 12? Yaks of his squadron. In 1943 the 9-th Guards regiment got P-39s instead of Yaks, and the symbol passed to Cobras. But at this time it became smaller and travelled from under cockpit to the nose cowling of P-39s.
? ?The idea of Leopard tearing in pieces a heart was a direct response to fierce fighing against 9 /JG 52 at Stalingrad and later at the South of Russia.
? ? ?Total number of Aleluhin's victories is 57. 17 of them he shared with other pilots. But one should take in consideration that according to an unwritten law, every soviet ace gave his every 5-th victory to his wingman. And shared victories were also a means to stimulate his pilots and boost their will to fight. Thus, the real score of Aleluhin, as well as of? many other top scoring aces in reality was much higher.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 12:31:39 PM by Schtockus » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2007, 08:48:23 AM »

Hi, Smiley
unfortunately I can't see your images, and I was not able to reach them from the address. Please, edit your post adding [/img] at the end of each link, and perhaps the imahe will appear.
I see your observation on the darker grey. In effects, its shade appear very dark on some photos, and relatively light on other ones. There was already some discussion on this, it looks that the "official" AMT shade was dark, and the light one could be a faded-off version (maybe the sun) or a mix of other paints, possibly light blue and black. There was a stormy topics on this at Hobbyvista forum, with an image of a tail showing repaintings with 2 light greys and 2 dark greys. http://vvs.hobbyvista.com/Forum/showthread.php?tid=468&pid=2573#pid2573
On some photos of Yak-3, the darker color looks really black, but this is probably unrepresentative of all Yaks.
(see http://sovietwarplanes.com/board/index.php?topic=34.0)
Massimo
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 09:06:38 AM by Massimo Tessitori » Logged
Schtockus

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2007, 12:48:13 PM »

Well, I tried to do the way you suggested. Does it open now? If not, try this: http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/aircraft-pictures/some-prifiles-my-archive-7488.html
? I uploaded there some stuff from my collection. Shipov is closer to the bottom of page 1. I checked - this link works.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 07:22:43 PM by Schtockus » Logged
Renato71

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2007, 03:37:52 PM »

Hi,
I do not know if this helps you, but I use Photobucket and under each image there are following options with corresponding code:

I just copy/paste the content of the box, then click "Preview"

I do not use the buttons above this message window, but if you want to, you have to type a "naked" url here, select it (highlight it) with cursor and then click in IMG button above text box. And I always do a "Preview"

BR

PS - send me a PM when you fix your links, so I coul move this OT post  Wink

Renato
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2007, 09:49:55 AM »

Hi, Smiley
on request of Schtockus, I'm uploading some images received from him.

Massimo
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: