Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Polikarpov I-5 profile
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 10:40:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Polikarpov I-5 profile  (Read 15260 times)
BLG

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2019, 10:56:33 AM »

Thanks Massimo,
My painting skill can manage the all black. For 3 colors and dots on a 1/72 model, I have some progress to do.
May be I will keep the white 6 which is well known .

On these 2 pictures,I wonder if there are 2 rails for RS 82 under each wing?

Best regards
Bernard
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 11:13:21 AM by BLG » Logged

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2019, 09:35:41 AM »

Hi Bernard,
yes, I think that they are rocket rails.
About the reversed plane, I think to see a number 6 on the lower wing, inside of the rails. Strangely, I can't see the star under the opposite lower wing, but it could be because of different reflection. The tip of the same wing has a strange dark contour different from the opposite wing, it could be a recognition mark or it could mark a repair.
The rear fuselage is strange, I can't recognize the dark shade on it as expected. I wonder if other photos of the same plane are available.
Regards
Massimo
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 10:34:57 AM by Massimo Tessitori » Logged
BLG

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2019, 11:13:39 AM »

Hi Massimo,
I did not noticed all this details, as I focused only on the rails.
You are right, and it's the first time I see such a number or letter on  a VVS intrados. May be related to a training aircraft?
The star is probably there on the broken wing. And  looking à the tail this I-5 could be camouflaged 2 tones.
I flipped the picture to read the text. Apparently: the name of the place; 1941 Poli.....karpov.

All the texts I found about the black one , probably coming from the same source,  speak of ONE aircraft. It's difficulte to make a model of a specific aicraft without data. So, I will  make  a green one  with bombs  and a camouflaged 2 tones with rs 82 which will be generic representatives of the I-5 used as night bombers and sturmoviks during the Moscow battle and the Crimea battle.

Regards
Bernard

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2019, 09:51:01 PM »

Hi Bernard,
this will be interesting to see.
I am not sure that the reverse plane is camouflaged; I can't see variation of colors on the landing gear, engine and wings leading edges. In my idea, the dark thing close to the tail  could be the effect of reflections or other accidents.
I've seen some inscriptions on the wings and even on the elevators in photos of planes of the '30s.
Personally, I love the idea of the strange ambush camo.
I have to check if I have one of these kits in my stash.
Regards
Massimo
BLG

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2019, 12:56:19 AM »

Hi Massimo,
I let you struggle with 3 colors and dots. Wink
 If you dont have the ICM I-5 in stock, it's easy to find and not expensive at all.
I will mix several of the previous  pictures to make 2 planes , different not only with camo and weapons, but also propeller and wheel. One  blue/green with wooden propeller  plain wheels and bombs, and one AMT 4/6/7, metal propeller, wired wheels and RS 82.

Regards
Bernard

BLG

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2019, 10:53:46 AM »

Hi Massimo,
I have found another photo of the ambush camo that you posted in "searching  for VVS photos".

Regards
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 08:08:38 PM by BLG » Logged

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2019, 02:27:03 PM »

Hi Bernard,
here is a detail of a phot sent by Tora on the reversed plane.

In the light area in front of the shadow f the wing on the fuselage one can see two dark strokes with a contour of light dots, I'm still wondering if it was a camo, a repair  or what else.
On the rear of the fuselage one can see a wide dark (red?) trasversal band with a thin light one.
An interesting mystery plane.
Regards
Massimo
BLG

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2019, 07:31:58 PM »

Hi Massimo,
Thanks for this photo. Good complement to the previous one.
 These three  I-5 seem to have been camouflaged in the field with brushstokes over the original greeen  or black/green on the rear part of the fuselage

Quote from: 66misos
The first two show seems 2-color camo. Unfortunately due to german soldier the number on the tail is not visible.
With these 2 pictures,  66misos could make a profile that I would use.

This one seem a different plane.No hay on the ground and the OP1 still in place.

Regards
Bernard

« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 08:09:01 PM by BLG » Logged

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2019, 07:17:14 AM »

Hi Bernard,
about the reverse plane, I wonder if the strange lines of dots could be part of the vegetation on the ground. They seem painted, considering the shadows, and are not a defect of the photo because they appear on 3 versions of it. I would wait for further evidence before making use of these photos.
Plane n.5 is lovable, and certainly camouflaged. I've still to check my stash.
Regards
Massimo
BLG

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2019, 10:20:59 PM »

Hi Massimo,
Here are two  of the four I- 5  I present in this post: I-5 Master194
I have used the pictures as guide and not tried  to make exact reproduction

Best regards
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 10:32:16 PM by BLG » Logged

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2019, 06:01:38 AM »

Hi Bernard,
nice models indeed. I'm happy to see them, particularly the camouflaged one.
About its wheels: did they require a photoetched set?
Regards
Massimo
BLG

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2019, 11:17:39 AM »

Hi Massimo
About its wheels: did they require a photoetched set?
Yes, I used the Eduard set for WWI aircraft.
Regards
Bernard

BLG

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2019, 04:26:24 PM »

Quote from: Massimo Tessitori
it could be a cool model, if one wants to assume the risk to make it without any photo documentation.
Hi Massilmo
Finally, I have taken the risk. I have found several russian papers that confirm the story, however without details about the camouflage. I have supposed that the fuselage star and the bort number were kept on the previous AIIz background, mainly to avoid to have an allblack model Wink
Here are the I-5 and it's partner  the UT-1b.

more pictures here
http://fighters.forumactif.com/t90835-les-chasseurs-biplans-polikarpov-du-i-3-au-i-190-1-72#1814220

Regards
Bernard

« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 07:01:52 PM by BLG » Logged

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2019, 06:31:18 PM »

Hi Bernard,
nice models indeed. I like them. The thematic collection is huge. What are your next projects?
Regards
Massimo
BLG

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2019, 07:13:29 PM »

Hi Massimo,
I'm currently building the Polikarpov biplane fighters, from I-3 to I-190. After the I-3 and I-5 already done,  the next is the I-15. Beside the prototype, I plan to do a I-15 from the first batch arrived in November 36 in Spain ( which could have been flown  by G. Zakharov)  and  one built in Spain,  the 58 piloted by José Falco. Any suggestion for colors and markings?
Regards
Bernard

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: