Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Yakovlev Yak-3 profiles
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 02:49:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Yakovlev Yak-3 profiles  (Read 30145 times)
66misos

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2018, 07:14:18 AM »

Hi,
here is finished Yak-3 of S.V. Nosov from 150 giap at the end of the war:

Photo of this plane is not publicly known but this sketch was drawn according to the private photo and memories of Nosov himself:

May be it is not 100% correct but I wanted to make also something interesting and different from standard grey-grey camo.
Regards,
   66misos
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 05:50:21 AM by 66misos » Logged

learstang

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2018, 05:28:57 PM »

Very nice indeed, Michal! I might have to do my 1/72nd scale Zvezda kit like this.

Best Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2018, 09:28:23 PM »

Hi Misos,
very nice plane. No star on the tail.
I don't know if the stenciling survived to their repaintings.
Regards
Massimo
66misos

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2018, 05:49:15 AM »

Hi,
thank you for comments. Smiley
Massimo, I know, it is not 100% confirmed - may be stencils disapeared under field overall repaint, may be they were put there again, may be it is overall single grey already from the factory like on some Lavochkins... This was my choice. At the end, stencils were there for instructions and warnings, so quite important.
Regards,
   66misos

« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 05:51:03 AM by 66misos » Logged

Troy Smith

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2018, 06:29:01 PM »

Hi,
Here I have started work on the Yak-3 profile, this particular plane will be 4-view:

Here is the original:

"86" is in the background:

Photos are again from http://www.airfield.narod.ru/yak/yak-3/yak-3_color.html
Regards,
   66misos

A comment Misos

the '86' is a little too neat and regular,   in both the photo of  '86' and '87'  the number, while stencilled, in the case of 87, the '7' is smaller, in the case of '86',
note the '6' is slightly lower then the '8' and maybe a little bigger.

it looks like the painter has used the bottom line of the fuselage as his reference,  and so the numbers are also leaning forward a little, and the 6 is slightly lower,   yours are aligned with the upper fuselage line.

If you imagine the plane at rest on the ground, and then painting it with a stencil, using the lower furlage as a guide, you can see how the alignment  I mention happens.

A small detail, but I know your work is very carefully observed, usually I have nothing to add, and the site does not have a 'like this' facility, and I try to avoid thread clutter so don't post  comments.

cheers
T
66misos

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2018, 05:50:09 AM »

Hi Troy,
thank you for comment.
I know exactly what you mean. Photos of "86" are either from a distance and fuzzy or from close but from sharp angle and perspective, so in both cases not very clear.
Therefore as a refference I used also other photos with the same "rounded" digits from the same regiment.
These "long" three-digits numbers looks similarly to what you described:

However, this "short" two-digits "99" looks to be aligned neither to the bottom not to the top, but to the edge where upper vertical part of the fuselage changes to rounded. The star is aligned in the same way:

All "rounded" digits look to have the same dimensions - IMHO they measured, drawn and cut templates/stencil from the paper individual digits.
I always superposition semitransparent photo over drawing and adjust angle and perspective as much as possible to match overall plane shapes and then I draw details like stars, numbers, emblems ets. It does not work 100% always, but it helps a lot.
Regards,
   66misos

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2018, 06:16:28 PM »

Hi Misos, hi Troy,
now that I see, the photo of 86 shows that the digits are not only rotated, but shifted too. The 6 is not aligned with the x axis of the 8, but moved downwards.
Regards
Massimo
66misos

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2018, 07:26:38 PM »

Hi,
here is profile of the Yak-3 belonging to general G.N. Zakharov, commander of the 303 iad, spring 1945:

Photos of the original:

Regards,
   66misos

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2018, 08:31:49 PM »

Hi Misos,
beautiful work as usual.
It would be good to show enlarged drawings of the markings near the profile.
Regards
Massimo
Graham Boak

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2018, 10:23:21 PM »

The contrast with the red in the stars on the tail and fuselage suggest that the background to the figure is not red.  I've a feeling I've seen this before as blue, and also as yellow, but not red.
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2018, 07:51:28 AM »

Hi,
I think that it can well be red. It appears light in the same photos where the stars and the banner of the emblem appear light, and dark in another one. Besides I remember the discussion where the iconography of S.George had usually a red background.
I have some doubt about the outline of the arrow, because I think to see it as dark on the front of the arrow of the first photo. If so, the outline could have been dark blue instead of red.
Regards
Massimo
66misos

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2018, 08:27:08 AM »

Hi,
thank you for comments.
Here is discussion about the color of the embelem - red or others - http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/board/index.php?topic=1773.0. While red color has at least historical background while other colors are only guessing, I decided for red.
Regardding arrow outline - also outer outline of the red stars quite often looks darker than star, althought it it surely red. I do not know why. Thicker layer of color...? Plus red was very usual paint in the regiments. While dark blue was unusual at regiments, no standard use for it.

There is also question about board number. Some authors paint there no. 1, others nothing. From the link above "Zaharov's Yak-3 belonged to division stab... it had white arrow, number should have been at mid-fuselage, close to the arrow's break". Similar like many other N-N Yaks.
IMHO original number at the mid-fuselage was overpanted with the big emblem, e.g. there was no board number.

Regards,
   66misos

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2018, 08:37:18 PM »

Hi Misos,
this sounds very likely. But who knows about the other side...
Regards
Massimo
66misos

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2018, 08:58:55 AM »

Hi,
here is work in progress on Yak-3 from 64 giap, pilot S. Rogovoy:
EDIT - updated picture:

Original:

Regards,
   66misos
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 12:07:47 PM by 66misos » Logged

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2018, 10:23:34 AM »

Hi Misos,
looks excellent.
About the inscription in the emblem, I think that it's better to revise the space between the letters.  I suppose that some outlines are painted in golden paint.
Regards
Massimo
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: