Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Yaks with wavy camouflage
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 04:13:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaks with wavy camouflage  (Read 21969 times)
66misos

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

« on: January 13, 2018, 05:07:19 PM »

Hi,
while searching and collecting data for Yaks profiles I have found several pictures of interesting wavy camouflage.
Some authors interpret them as black-green, others interpret them as already grey-grey.

Colors on this Yak-9 are completly different from green MiG-3 and Il-2 in the background:

Another one, Yak-7B late, too bright for black-green, even on the bright snowy environment:

According to the http://www.airfield.narod.ru/yak/yak-1/yak-1_color4.html Yak-1B late, interpreted there as black-green:

Another very similar wavy camo, same number "22" but color completly different from red star - problably yellow and attempt for already new type of the red star introduced in summer 1943:

And what about this red-nose Yak-9 dated on March 1943 - black-green or grey-grey? At airfield.naror.ru interpreted as black green:

Regards,
   66misos
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 04:38:23 PM by 66misos » Logged

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 09:19:40 PM »

Hi Misos,
you've made a very interesting work.
About plane 8, I can't be sure but I suspect a tiny black outline around the white shape. Besides the white cap should be cut oblique, not parallel to the flight axis; stars and wings are too much rotated.
The shape of the cooler's outlet doesn't fit with the profile.
The landing gear seems to have a sort of door or cover solidal to the leg.  I've the impression that the light on the wing should be more backwards, and the red star under the wings in an inner position.
About the second plane 22, I've the impression that the number could be silver, not yellow, because it seems shiny on its upper part and darker in its lower part.
Plane 08 has most interesting markings, but it is of very difficult interpretation. The nose seems lighter than the red star. Probably there is another number under the 08, overpainted with a blotch of camo color. I think that the camouflage is grey.
Regards
Massimo
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 08:53:58 AM »

Hi Misos,
I would add:
-the lip around the exhaust tubes of n.8 should be removed;
-the mast shold be bended backwards;
-the swastikas should be a bit made narrower and moved upwards, so a major white space appears on the sheet;
-the shet itself could be made a bit narrower and far from the hatch;
-the stencil on the hatch could be moved a bit upwards;
- the camo near the windshield and the 3rd exhaust pipe should be revised.

About both planes 22, I see no lip around the exhaust stacks, only a rectangle with different shade.  Both numbers 22 should be extended downwards. Both have the mast bent rearwards.
Regards
Massimo
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 10:46:59 AM by Massimo Tessitori » Logged
66misos

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 08:41:19 AM »

Hi Massimo,
thank you for comments. Seems quite a significat reqork is ahead.
I took templates for Yak-7B late that I already have. But these plane looks like mix of sevral types, at least "red 8" - exhaust is like from Yak-1, (water) cooler like from Yak-9. Seems hatch was positioned not very correctly at line draving. I adjusted camouflage, marking and decoration to the overal shapes. Seems some details like hatch were not positioned very well on the line drawing. It I move white sheet far from hatch then it will not fit with camo, cockpit, star etc. so I leave it where it is. I do not see dark outline arounf number 8, maybe som jpg artifacts.
Regarding "yellow 22" - it is really hard to guess the color. It is not shining. Even its lightest upper part is darker that white outline on the star. IMHO it is not silver. Neither white nor red when compared to the red star. Other usual color were yellow and light blue - my choice was yellow.
All planes seems to have exhausts like Yak-1, they all have the antenna mast bended backwards, they all have similar/same camouflage. Do they all have also Yak-9-like bottom (water) cooler, like on "red 8"?
I will rework all other noted discrepancies step by step when I have time and then I will replace those profiles.
Regards,
   66misos

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 03:03:52 PM »

Hi Misos,
I see the complexity of the work.
About the black outline, i meant that they were around the White wings, not around the number. I don't see them around other light part of the photo, so I don't think that they are jpg artifacts.
Regards
Massimo
66misos

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 06:20:44 AM »

Hi Massimo,
Red 8 is corrected according to your comments and profile is already replaced in my post above.
Regards,
   66misos

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 05:36:27 PM »

Hi Misos, well made.  I hope to see the definitive version of both 22 soon, and maybe plane 08, with a colored nose (orange?).
Regards
Massimo
66misos

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 02:52:06 PM »

Hi,
all 3 profiles in my previous post are corrected and already replaced.
Regards,
   66misos

66misos

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 05:57:20 AM »

Hi,
work in progress on Yak-9 red-nose white 08:

Regards,
   66misos

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2018, 11:11:40 AM »

Hi Misos,
I suggest to use a lighter shade of red than the one of red stars to fit the photo.  The reflection on the nose is particularly well made.
Regards
Massimo
66misos

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2018, 08:39:34 AM »

Hi Massimo,
thank you Smiley
IMHO the red color on the nose is the same like on the star but pretty polished and glossy. Sharp demarcation line, e.g. reflection of the horizont is clearly visible especially on the bottom photo. I would say that lighter shade is only reflection of the bright sky.

According to http://www.airfield.narod.ru/yak/yak-9/color/coment_yak-9_14.html:
"Nine Yak-9 aircrafts, previously owned by the Air Force Inspectorate, were put into service by one squadron of 32 GvIAP on February 9, 1943, along with a group of pilots from the disbanded Inspectorate (also appointed by the commander of the 32nd GVIAP V.I.Stalin). In the arsenal of the remaining squadrons remained aircraft Yak-1B. By order of Vasily Stalin they painted inscriptions "For Volodya!" on the sides of the planes in memory of the deceased pilot of the regiment Vladimir Mikoyan. The aircrafts arrived at the airfield of Staraya Toropa on February 9, 1943... regiment flew to Ostashkov on March 23, (1943) where it left its aircrafts and was relocated to Lyubertsy to replenish its personnel and re-equip it to La-5."
According to that text those photos show aircraft sometime between Fer 9, 1943 and Mar 23, 1943, AFAIK too early for grey-grey colors.

According to http://www.airfield.narod.ru/yak/yak-7/color_d/coment_yak-7_59.html
"Directly at the front brigade of OKB AS. Yakovleva they worked to improve the view back from the cabin of Yak-7 M-105PF - they cut off the top rear fuselage and the lantern was  drop-shaped. From November 17 to December 13, 1942 at the Northwestern Front in 42 iap (commander F.I. Shinkarenko) of 240 IAD military tests were conducted for combat use.
Results of the tests: 242 sorties, 6 air battles, 4 enemy planes were shot down, including: Bf-109F-2, Hs-126-1 and FW-189-1; their losses - one Yak-7B. The cockpit with improved visibility was praised by the pilots and was recommended for use on all fighter-type aircraft."

So Red 8 (the profile in my post from Jan 14) is dated to even earlier period - winter 1942.
Seems I should rework borh Red 8 and White 08 to black-green camo. Huh It least the whole serie will be more colorfull.
Regards,
   66misos
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 09:00:28 AM by 66misos » Logged

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2018, 01:26:51 PM »

Hi Misos,
perhaps you know already my point on these planes, but I'll write it again.
In my opinion if these planes appear identical to a Yak-9 that is often described as the prototype of all grey-grey Soviet planes in spring 1943, it is because they were really identical.
All the planes with wavy camouflage, Yak-1, 7 and 9, were not produced in Zavod 115, but passed in that laboratory for maintenance or to be transformed into prototypes or special variants.
The choice of adopting a grey-grey camouflage was not strictly military but logistic, because of the lack of green pigments. So, a laboratory that was strictly bonded to the deputy minister for aircraft production, Yakovlev, could easily have been instructed to experiment grey-grey camouflage before it became a standard.
The use of blue on the sides is not compatible with a camouflage that hides  planes on the ground, but when flying and seen on the horizon.
The Yak-9 of the Yakovlev museum, before being vandalized by those that bought it, was painted in two greys, and that museum was famous for having planes painted in accurate way  (for Russian standards).
So I suggest not to change color to those drawings.
Regards
Massimo
66misos

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2018, 08:07:06 PM »

Hi Massimo,
thank you for clarification, you saved me a lot of time. Wink
Here is finished profile:

Regards,
   66misos

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2018, 08:24:31 PM »

Hi Misos,
good work again. I'm happy that your profiles preserve their camouflage.
Regards
Massimo
xan

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2018, 08:37:53 AM »

This last one is very cool!
Xan

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: