Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
New Russian book on the Soviet Aviation/Lend Lease by Vladimir Kotelnikov.
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 12:58:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New Russian book on the Soviet Aviation/Lend Lease by Vladimir Kotelnikov.  (Read 3756 times)
Graham Boak

« on: January 20, 2018, 10:43:23 PM »

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235032321-lend-lease-and-soviet-aviation-in-the-second-world-war-helion-and-company-via-casemate-uk/&tab=comments#comment-2926424

As you'll see when you read the thread, I think it's rather good.  Inevitably there are a few minor quibbles but it taught me a lot.  I presume that it may be a translation of a Russian work that may already be familiar to some of you?
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 07:26:26 AM »

I suppose that the author has published it in Russian first, then translated into English, but I don't know it really.
Regards
Massimo
Patrick Kinville

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 08:23:36 PM »

Vladimir Kotelnikov is a well-known aviation writer in Russia. He has at least four books in the Russian "Voina i Mui" series (TB-3, P-39, A-20, and Il-4). He also has several books in the Aviakollektsiya series, also in Russian. He co-wrote a book about US planes in the Soviet Union/Russia called "Amerikantsii v Rossii" which is quite good. As Massimo suggested, this book was most likely translated from Russian into English (at least it reads that way, based on the samples on the Brittmodeller forum), and I imagine he used parts of his Russian language books. In any event, based on the books that I've read of his in Russian, he is very knowledgeable and does a good job of blending technical information with a human element.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 08:25:42 PM by Patrick Kinville » Logged
Troy Smith

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 07:04:19 PM »

I just got a copy yesterday.

NOt had a chance to read it as yet,   it does have some photos I have not  seen before,  which are always a treat, some photos are differently captioned to other sources,  but as many of the previous photos are not as well  captioned,  say as in Red Stars 4,   I'd be wary of ones that differ.
Some very interesting new Hurricane photos, test aircaft with different versions of Soviet  armament,  apparetly sprayed silver as well,  and a couple of Lancaster with a replacement Soviet nose are ones that spring to mind.

Biggest dissapointment are the profiles,  neatly done, but several obvious errors or schemes discussed here and dismissed,  eg  Safonov's blue uppersurface P-40,   Hampdens with Dark Green/Dark Earth uppers,  where the ones supplied were TB.I's  (Torpedo bombers) and so had Temperate Sea Scheme upper surfaces,  as was found on the Hampden salavaged from Russia for the RAF musuem.

I suspect this is these are almost an 'add on' and the real core of  the book is the text,  even on the quick skim it mentions some fascinating post war use,  like the snippet the P-39 carried on being valuable with early jets as trainers due to the tricycle undercarriage.

The book has a UK published price of £60, but I  got one via Amazon for £33 posted.

I also shocked to see the price on used book market for Red Stars 4.

If  Graham says it taught him a lot, then that is high praise.

overall recommended.

cheers
Troy

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: