Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Profiles of MiG-3
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 02:32:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Profiles of MiG-3  (Read 24660 times)
Johann

« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2018, 09:58:20 PM »

Yes indeed. Played with contrast. Really marriage or depreciation of old age But this is not a shadow, definitely, it can not bend from the bottom to the top. The shadow marked red from the louder and from the wing on the ground, the angle is the same.

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2018, 10:16:56 PM »

Hi,
I think that the dark thing is the shadow of the wing. It changes its inclination because the wing has a change in dihedral between the inner part and the outer console, besides the fuselage isn't flat.
There should be some blue on the lower corner of the rudder.
Regards
Massimo
Johann

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2018, 10:29:07 PM »

I agree that the shadow can be parallel to the ground, in the Arctic circle for example, but then the general lighting does not match. And why from the wing shadow to everything else on the ground? And if you pay attention to the shadow of the loupe and compare it with the shadow on the ground, then everything converges. In the opposite case, the shadow from the blade should also be parallel to the fuselage)
66misos

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2018, 05:26:17 AM »

Hi Johann,
Now I even more think it is shadow. Here are the reasons:
1. Propeller blade is not in the horizontal position, but it directs down under 30° against horizont and therefore its shadow also goes down.
2. Country horizont is not in the horizontal position. You have to rotate the photo cca 1,5° clockwise to get it on the horizontal position.
3. Dark "stripe" on the rear fuselage that you marked with green lines also matches directions of other shadows on the ground. Shadow of the wingtip would be somewhere around the top of the digit 7 - they are not on the same horizont, the wingtip is higher. Your upper green line goes too much upward above digit 7. Note the darker area to the right from the "corner" of the digit 7, several mm below your green line.
4. Check the bottom white line on the rear fuselage - it is apparently darker above the green line, e.g. in the shadow, than under the green line, e.g. in the direct sun.
Regards,
   66misos

EDIT:
Note that red star, its red outline and same (red) outline of the number are on the photo apparently darker than dark area under them - better visible on the sepia than on bw photo. I wonder if that area is rather dark grey (like) AMT-12 and not black. In that case MiG-3 would be in the same standard colors like let's say Il-2 from that era. Of course except of white outline of the dark areas and style of the camo used on the fighter.

EDIT2:
Interesting discussion about colors of this MiG-3 is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/board/index.php?topic=2150.msg18240#msg18240
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 05:19:13 PM by 66misos » Logged

66misos

« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2018, 11:45:11 AM »

Hi,
here is the finished profile:

Regards,
  66misos
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 06:18:45 PM by 66misos » Logged

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2018, 11:48:51 AM »

Hi Misos,
excellent profile. Only, the red star on the tail should be better centered on the hinge line. the red star under the wings should be in outer position, centered on the outer aileron.
regards
Massimo
66misos

« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2018, 06:21:14 PM »

Hi Massimo,
thank you for comment. You were right about stars. I corrected their positions and replaced picture in my post above.
Regards,
   66misos

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2018, 10:57:04 AM »

Hi Misos,
I hope to see your interpretation of the mysterious plane 97 (ex 27) too.
Regards
Massimo
66misos

« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2018, 11:18:04 AM »

Hi Massimo,
to be honest I have no idea what 97/27 you mean Huh Could you, please, post a picture/link?
Regards,
   66misos

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2018, 03:04:10 PM »

Hi Misos,
I was thinking to this  http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/mig3/striped27/striped27camo.html
This page and the relative profiles are obsolete now. Apart for the more recent knowledge of colors, there are two photos of a plane that most probably is the same one, but one can see the number 97, not 27, on its fuselage.
Regards
Massimo
66misos

« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2018, 04:00:46 PM »

Hi Massimo,
I see now. It could be interesting profile, however, pretty speculative. Photo is not clear and does not show very much of the marking - no star and only a top part of the first digit, event the used colors are not clearly visible.
I have found these photos at http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6048&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=580:

I am not sure whether it is the same plane - the font of the board number on the flying MiG and downed Mig does not look exactly the same. Plus flying MiG has whithe prop spinner while downed MiG has dark (green?) spinner.
Regards,
   66misos

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2018, 07:43:52 PM »

Hi Misos,
that is right, now i see that it is not the same plane because of the spinner and the inner side of the 7. The resemblance is impressive in all other respect: camo, no mast, no sliding hood. I am not sure about the star on the fuselage (or its lack).
regards
Massimo
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 10:06:32 PM by Massimo Tessitori » Logged
warhawk

« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2018, 10:23:42 PM »

The resemblance is impressive in all other respect: camo, no mast, no sliding hood.

The hood on No.97 could have been present during service, and "plucked away" by a souvenir-hunting axis soldier upon capture...
Just thinking out loud.
66misos

« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2018, 06:41:37 AM »

Hi,
The hood on No.97 could have been present during service, and "plucked away"...
Yes, and the same for wings.

In the meantime I started work on the view from the top on the early version. IMHO nothing much interesting, just to show the different colors on the metal and wooden surfaces:

Then view from the bottom on the early version and then finally side views on the late version - there are quite interesting camos.
Regards,
   66misos

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2018, 08:33:46 PM »

Hi Misos,
it is possible of course, but it is somewhat wide and frail as a souvenir.

The photos of 97 seem to show that the plane had lost nearly all the paint over the wings sections, The wide dark bands seem shadows of men.

Good work about the upper views.
The pitot probe looks too short for the version without slats. The later model with slats had its pitot on the lower surface, so ic could really have appeared so short.

Are you sure about the variation of angle on the leading edge?

Regards
Massimo
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: