Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Pe-2 1/48 Zvezda
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 11:28:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Pe-2 1/48 Zvezda  (Read 25219 times)
otto

« on: March 16, 2018, 01:31:03 PM »

Hello everybody!
After a WW1 period, I'm back to the Red Stars.
I started the beautiful Zvezda 1/48 Petlyakov Pe-2 deaaling with the mysterious windscreen lines. See this topic:
http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/board/index.php?topic=2168.0
After some headache, I decided to malke them red. I initially thought they were white but, after seeing that on a flight simulator they had been rendered red, I thought that this colour was better than white for aiming purpose, especially on a snowy landscape. However, any discussion on this item is welcome.
I used decals, trying to cut them as thin as possible.

Maybe they are thicker than they should, but on the real piece they look thinner than on the magnified picture. At least, to my eyes...  Cool
otto

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 01:45:50 PM »

One of my many obsessions, beside detail, is trying to make sturdy models. The thin plastic antenna mast on the windscreen, connected by wires to the tail and even to the canopy side window, did not give me a great sense of confidence. I had two ways to strengthen it: making a resin copy with a steel wire embedded in it, or inserting the wire in the original mast carefully drilled through. I tried the second way and, despite some difficulties, thanks to the strong and elastic plastic I succeeded. The mast is now really stiff, it just needs a bit of filling and sanding.

otto

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 01:50:53 PM »

Massimo, the pictures are 800x600. Tell me if they are too big.
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 04:21:52 PM »

Hi Otto,
really well made! A thin hole passing through the whole mast... I'm admired for such a machining work.
Regards
Massimo
otto

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 11:55:51 AM »

I am slowly approaching the moment of painting the interiors of the Pe-2. Zvezda proposes the following colors:
- Humbrol 129 Gull Grey for the interior fuselage surfaces.
- Humbrol 125 Dark Grey for bomb bay, wheel bays and engine nacelles interior.
- Humbrol 117 US Light Green for cockpit parts like seats, shelfs, frames, boxes...
These assumptions seem to be based on the Pe-2 in Monino. The "grey and green" interior colors seems to be confirmed by other sources, as Tu-2 in Monino and some wartime wrecks. The two shades of grey seem quite strange to me.
https://igor113.livejournal.com/71576.html
http://svsm.org/gallery/pe-2?page=1

My assumption is the following:
- A-14 (I have the AKAN paint) for the interior fuselage surfaces, bomb bay, wheel bays and engine nacelles interior.
- Green (Monino Pe-2 and Tu-2 show two shades, one "bright" and the other one more "olive") for cockpit parts like seats, shelfs, frames, boxes...
- Scratches should show yellowish primer ALG-1.

Please, does anybody have a reliable information on this issue?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 11:59:43 AM by otto » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2018, 05:19:12 PM »

Hi Otto,
interesting question... looking at the landing gear bays and bomb bays of the Pe-2, excluding all the surfaces that have clearly been repainted, I think to see a grey-olive that could resemble the primer ALG-5. Of course, could also be a grey that has become yellowish during the years.
About the light green, I've seen a piece of a seat of MiG-3, wrecked but with well preserved paint, that look as that light green of the bombs rack in the bay.
I would check on wartime photos if the lightness of the landing gear legs is compatible to that or is lighter.
Regards
Massimo
otto

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 11:52:56 AM »

So the inner but not "inhabited" surfaces could have been ALG-5, while A-14 and green could have been applied in the fuselage/cockpits. I suppose that chipping exposing the layer under cockpit A-14 and green should be ALG-1, is this correct?
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2018, 10:18:46 PM »

Hi,
I think so. I see some parts painted with light blue-grey too, I don't know if it was a later retouching or a third color inside, or even the original color.
Regards
Massimo
otto

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2018, 02:33:54 PM »

Among the odd White Ensign VVS paints, based on EP charts, I found the ACS10 "AMT-1" which is a yellowish gray. Light years from the real AMT-1, but it seems to me quite similar to ALG-5:

I could use it for bomb and undercarriage bays, what do you think?
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2018, 10:54:30 PM »

Hi Otto,
I have not the original one to make a comparison, but I think that the color should be more yellow-green than this.  Maybe you could use the can as a base for a mix with some olive green.
Regards
Massimo
otto

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2018, 11:06:52 PM »

Thank you Massimo! I must say that the real WEM color is more yellowish than that shown in the picture. I have plenty of useless WEM EP-style colors to mix. Wink
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2018, 08:00:23 PM »

Hi Otto,
I think to  have seen photos of WEM AMT-1 side by side with paints of other brands, I just don't remember the page. If you think that the color is similar to ALG-5, I can't criticise on the base of this photo only.
Please, keep me informed on your color tests.
Regards
Massimo
otto

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2018, 11:53:25 AM »

I made a mix of WEM greys ACS10 and ACS05, plus Humbrol yellow 74. I will send a picture, but I don't want to be too pedantic on a primer color. We modellers are strange people: we always look for the perfect paint match and then, after pre-shading, washes, post-shading, paneling, desaturation, weathering, we get something completely different but, in our mind, a perfect scaled-down effect of the real color.  Undecided
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2018, 06:25:02 PM »

Hi Otto,
you are right, all those effects alter by much the shade, so the quest for shade accuracy can easily be scarcely rewarding in an area full of nervures and other details.
I wait to see how your work is going.
Regards
Massimo
otto

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2018, 09:09:24 AM »

Hello Massimo
The upper "chip" is my "ALG-5" made mixing White Ensign greys ACS10 and ACS05, and pale yellow Humbrol 74. Unfortunately, I don't have the rate of this mixing. You can compare it with the AKAN A-14 chip in the middle below it.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: