Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Pe-2 1/48 Zvezda
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 08:50:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Pe-2 1/48 Zvezda  (Read 25234 times)
otto

« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2018, 11:36:27 AM »

The rear gunner who sat directly behind the pilot on the small stool operated only the 12.7 gun in the turret.
The radio operator, who sat rearwards in the middle of the fuselage, operated the rearwards-downwards 12.7 gun and the 7.62 side gun. The latter could be moved from one side to the other.
otto

« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2018, 11:42:21 AM »

This is the crew position.
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2018, 01:52:30 PM »

Interesting cutaway, thank you for sharing. Do you know what  the large box on the wall behind the head of the radio operator is? I suppose that 30 is the radio box and 29 is a camera.
otto

« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2018, 09:21:34 AM »

The box behind the radio operator's head should be a part of the radio system.
These two links of flight simulator sites show many interior details. I don't know how accurate they are, but they are nice.
http://www.unbound-frogs.org/wikil2/doku.php?id=manuel_des_appareils:vvs:pe-2_ser87
http://spartanwarfighters.com/xoops/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=1291
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2018, 10:38:19 AM »

Good images indeed, thank you for sharing. One ShKAS for each side... it had to be difficult to move in that space.
otto

« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2018, 09:58:05 PM »

I decided to buy the Akan set N. 47347, containing six paints for VVS GPW metal bombers:
A-26m, A-28g, A-28m, A-21m, A-24m and A-32m.

A-28m seems too greenish, perhaps it replicates weathered paint. I would use A-28g with A-28m for panel lightening effects. What do you think?
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2018, 08:21:51 AM »

Hi Otto,
sounds as a good choice, Just, I never use to lighten the central part of panels, eventually I put into evidence the recesses by a dark thinned color.
Regards
Massimo
otto

« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2018, 09:39:12 PM »

I found this picture in the web.

It's of the version I am planning to build: late type, with antenna mast on the windscreen and single exhaust collectors on the engines.
My assumptions about this interesting livery are the following:
- Three color standard camouflage with white MK-7 field-applied paint.
- The white paint seems partially removed by wear, but also not applied on the whole aircraft from the beginning. I'm not sure if the dark part of the left wing is a shadow (light comes from right), or a zone left without white paint except from some patches.
- The MK-7 white is applied around the red part of the stars, covering the white/red edges. The white contour around the rudder star is only partially applied.
- The number aft of the fuselage star seems to me a 23, perhaps red.

Any opinions on my asumptions or information about this Pe-2 are welcome.
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2018, 07:59:35 AM »

Hi Otto,
very good image. it looks a good choice.
You've analized it finely. The dark zone on the left wing is certainly the shadow of te fuselage, its final shape is exactly what geometrically expected.
Details of the wings can be seen in the shadow, it is just a bit less white of the other one and with the sme dark stain traces.
23 is practically sure. The font of 3 is the most traditional western style, not that an oblique bar that resembles 5.
I am surprised for what I think to see over the side window, it could be a curved slogan, unfortunately unreadable. Eventually you can read it as a stroke of white paint or a defect of the photo, none will prove the contrary.
Regards
Massimo
otto

« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2018, 12:14:23 PM »

Thank you, Massimo. It seems to me that over the side window there are only white stains, but who knows? Huh
The top and side of the fuselage between the canopy and the tailplane seems to me mostly without white paint, and not dark due to shadow because some white patches are visible. What do you think?
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2018, 01:21:41 PM »

Hi Otto,
I agree that there is no white paint on the top of the fuselage apart for the tail area. Perhaps it was washed by rain.
There is a white dot on the nose, but not definided to say that it was an emblem.
A lot of rumor as lines, inscriptions and such things are visible on the photo, so it is always better to choose the minimal interpretation. Eventually, it is easier to add something new on a completed model than to delete something that shouldn't be there.
Regards
Massimo
otto

« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2018, 11:40:58 AM »

The last developments.

otto

« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2018, 12:20:48 PM »

I will probably go on with the "Red (?) 23" with worn-out winter camouflage shown in-flight on the picture I published before. Being it a poorly documentated subject, I ask, as usual, Massimo and everybody else to debete my assumptions listed below.

1) The A-XXm oil paints are applied on metal surfaces without primer, thus chipping and scratches show natural aluminium under the paint. Is this correct?

2) While the stars appear to be the factory-applied ones surrounded by MK-7 white paint, the number 23 seems to be applied over the white paint. Looking at pictures of other aircraft, this seems quite a common practice.

3) The spinner tips look dark. I think they are factory-camouflaged with the white worn or applied on the rear part only.

4) Looking at the pictures below, it seems to me that not all late-type Pe-2s had the thin red edge around the white outline of the stars.

For this subject, painting the stars is easier than using the decals, so I would assume that this aircraft had stars without thin red edge. What do you think?

Thank you for your patience!
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2018, 04:15:27 PM »

Hi Otto,
great to see that your model is going on well.
I don't know if A-xxm paints were utilized on Pe-2s. I see that the colors on Pe-2s are often well contrasted in photos and without massive chipping, my impression is that they utilized AMT paints with primer. I can't be sure without some research, but I know for sure that early pe-2s had ALG-1 primer under the green-blue paint.
About the red outline on the stars: it is difficult to say from the 1st photo and the 3rd one, but the second one shows the outline clearly.  I would suppose that this is the most usual case.
Regards
Massimo
otto

« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2018, 07:42:43 PM »

Thank you Massimo! I used AKAN A-XXm paints because they were intended for metal bombers including Pe-2s  Undecided. Do you think ALG-1 was used under these paints also? I did not plan to make "Japanese style" chipping, just some wearing around maintenance walking zones: I would like to know whether showing ALG-1 yellow or not.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: