Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Out of the Box Models - 3D-Printed 1/72 Yak-9T
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 10:17:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Out of the Box Models - 3D-Printed 1/72 Yak-9T  (Read 4386 times)
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« on: June 01, 2018, 05:54:13 PM »

Out of the Box Models is crowdfunding a 1/72 3D-printed Yak-9T project; see here if interested in placing an order:
https://outoftheboxmodels.com/collections/crowdfunding-projects/products/crowdfunding-1-72-scale-yakovlev-yak-9t

The goal is 20 preorders before the project goes ahead.

John
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 07:54:47 PM »

Hi,
this could be interesting, but I would know what is the printing resolution, what are the mechanical properties of the resin and how they reproduce the canopy.
CAD drawings are always beautiful but I would see high resolution images of the printings.
Regards
Massimo
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 10:53:54 PM »

They've posted images elsewhere of a diesel locomotive shell which they actually printed, and it looks quite good. I believe the company does the digital work, then has the printing done by someone else, like Shapeways, for example. Layer thicknesses of 14 and 16 microns were mentioned, if that helps.

I've placed my order (in fact, I'm considering increasing it to three kits); now I wait and see how many others will join the group.

John
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2018, 10:47:03 AM »

Hi John,
14 and 16 microns seem a good parameter, I suppose they use a photo-curing resin. I hope that the result is good on clear pieces too. I am somewhat concerned for the strenghth of the plastic.
Please, keep me informed.
I think to be able to make 3d models of parts of tanks with Inventor, I'm not yet so able to make it with planes. Who knows if making this work by myself could reduce the cost by much?
Regards
Massimo
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 03:23:46 AM »

An update on this topic - Out of the Box are now offering Yak-9T preorders with no shipping costs - all you pay is the price of the kit itself and they pay the postage!

John
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 09:04:57 AM »

Hi,
shipping from USA to Europe? For what I know, it should cost more than the kit. I think that the offer is limited to the USA.
Regards
Massimo
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 09:51:26 PM »

Hi,
shipping from USA to Europe? For what I know, it should cost more than the kit. I think that the offer is limited to the USA.
Regards
Massimo

Nope - here are his exact words, quoted from his post on the 72nd Aircraft Forum:
"Just FYI to anyone who has ordered a Crowdfunding unit, your shipping has been refunded, and there will be no shipping costs any new orders. Even international."

So free shipping, everywhere! I think he really wants to do this project, and saw a lot of discouragement among potential customers regarding the high postage costs from USPS.

John

John
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 09:03:25 AM »

But this is strange: if he wants to make it, he can do, it requires only his own time, certainly less than scratchbuilding a model. Then, if the result is good, he will certainly be able to sell more than 20 kits for 20 euros plus shipping.
Regards
Massimo
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2018, 04:19:42 PM »

I think the free shipping offer was only good during the crowdfunding stage. Now that he has received the 20 preorders he wanted, the design work will start. After the kit becomes available, I'm sure he will not be giving free postage any more.

John
learstang

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2018, 06:49:44 PM »

As John knows from the Britmodeller site, I've put my order in. It shall be interesting to see how this progresses. I'm very interested to see how 3-D printing impacts the aircraft modelling hobby.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: