Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
single seat Il-2 raised from lake
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 10:14:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: single seat Il-2 raised from lake  (Read 7357 times)
Troy Smith

« on: August 10, 2018, 12:43:58 PM »

posted on Hyperscale
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/hyperscale/ilyushin-il-2-sturmovik-raised-from-a-russian-lake-t496959.html#p2599426
link here
http://warbirdsnews.com/warbirds-news/ilyushin-il-2-sturmovik-raised-from-a-russian-lake.html

the light colour on the lower left of the IP is interesting

ALG-5 on cockpit interrior?

ALG-5 primer on the rudder internals?

neat shot of wing camo, is that a white patch, or just a gun hatch made of a different material?

Hope of interest.
T
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 07:58:38 PM by Troy Smith » Logged
learstang

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 06:40:17 PM »

Troy, the light colour on the instrument panel is probably some sort of light grey, which the Soviet IPs were commonly painted in. It may be AE-9.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Troy Smith

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 08:00:47 PM »

I hope that there the existing paint is documented before restoration, as it looks in very good shape.

Jason, any idea of the specifics of the airframe, ie what factory and possible unit markings?

cheers
T
learstang

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 08:55:08 PM »

Since it has metal wings, there's a good chance it was from Zavod 18, in Kuibyshev (now Samara). Alternatively, given that it was flying in northern Russia, it might have come from Zavod 30, in Moscow, as they sent many of their aircraft to the north. However, given that this aircraft crash-landed in 1943 (22 August of that year), with that late date, it was probably a late production single-seater, and a late production single-seater with metal wings would probably have been from Z.18. Regarding the units or markings, the article on Warbird Digest states that it was from the 46th ShAP, or 46th Air Regiment of the Northern Fleet, flown by Captain Aleksandr Ivanovich Kalichev.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 03:47:03 PM »

Hi,
interesting images indeed.
About the grey-green color visible on the instrument panel, my impression is for ALG-5.  Of course, I can't exclude anything on the base of this photo.
I see that the fabric of the rudder isn't painted silver on its inner face as I expected.
About the ammo hatch cover on the wing, I think that it seems more light because it wasn't primed and the green/black paint lasted less than on other parts of the wings.
About the factory: it is very likely that was of Z.18 because it was the only one to build Il-2s with metal wings in 1942, but usually this factory painted a thin white outline around the red stars, and I can't see traces of a white outline on the remains of the star on the rudder.
Eventually, Zavod 381 built a limited number of Il-2s with metallic wings in 1942, but these wings were as those of 1941, with 20 mm guns in outer position and small ShKAS in inner position.
It would be interesting to see further images, maybe after the pieces are well washed.
Regards
Massimo
Troy Smith

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2018, 08:22:21 PM »

Hi,

About the ammo hatch cover on the wing, I think that it seems more light because it wasn't primed and the green/black paint lasted less than on other parts of the wings.

Hi Massimo
 in the Britmodeller thread
 https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235041952-single-seat-il-2-just-been-raised-from-russian-lake/&tab=comments#comment-3107620
 this got posted

note the white stripes?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: