Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
I-16 type 24 SPB and TB-3 34 RN (Zveno)
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 12:56:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I-16 type 24 SPB and TB-3 34 RN (Zveno)  (Read 6929 times)
BLG

« on: September 14, 2018, 11:23:52 PM »

Hi everybody.

For my first post on Sovietwarplanes, I present you the first of the different Ishak types that I'm currently building, the Type 24-SPB.

To present it , I have been obliged  Wink to build also the TB-3 34 RN which carried 2 I-16  to bomb Constanza  and other targets during the first months of the GPW.
For reference, read" Vakhmistrov's circus" from Mikhail Maslov. Helion & Cie

I had to make numerous modifications to the ICM TB-3 17 F , and before building the 34 RN, I have make  a 17 f "from the box" to practice ICM technics.

Regards
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 11:31:58 PM by BLG » Logged

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 02:12:26 PM »

Hi BLG,
both models appear very noticeable and well made. I remember that a most skilled modeler described the TB-3 of ICM as the most difficult kit he had ever built, and seeing it utilized in a complex conversion work is amazing.
Besides, considering this model as an 'accessory' of a couple of  I-16 is a surprise.
Excellent work!
Massimo
BLG

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 05:11:36 PM »

Hi Massimo,
Thank tou for your message.
considering this model as an 'accessory' of a couple of  I-16 is a surprise
When I wrote that the TB-3 was an accessory for the I-16 , I was joking. Note the  Wink.
It's true that I discovered the different Vakhmistrov projects through readings about the I-16, but the main reason to built this Zveno has been the pleasure to create a model that I have never seen, even on sclaemodels.ru
I remember that a most skilled modeler described the TB-3 of ICM as the most difficult kit he had ever built
The TB-3 ICM  is certainly difficult for pure plastic modellers, as the way parts are assembled is unusual. However,  If you have build flying  models (or real aircrafts)  with spars, ribs, formers, stressed skin, it's easy. The parts are very numerous, but perfectly molded, and the fit is excellent, except for the clear parts.
It is far easier that a lot of short run kits. I have a third in project, the one which was used to test the dropping of  T-37 tanks.

Regards
Bernard

otto

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 07:35:14 PM »

Amazing job, BLG! I started a TB-3, but I never had the "guts" to finish it!  Undecided
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 08:59:40 AM »

I have a third in project, the one which was used to test the dropping of  T-37 tanks.
Is a kit of T-37 tank available, or you have to scratchbuild it?

and the fit is excellent, except for the clear parts
Worrying... just where one can't make errors. How did you manage them?

I started a TB-3, but I never had the "guts" to finish it!
I have one, but not the courage to start it. I am not sure to find a safe place to store this huge model once built.

Regards
Massimo
BLG

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 03:51:23 PM »

Thank you Otto . I hope that will come back to your TB-3

Hi Massimo
Quote from: Massimo Tessitori
Is a kit of T-37 tank available
I have found on Ebay a T37 made by SHQ miniatures . 4 pieces in white metal. Not to difficult for my first armour
the clear parts. How did you manage them?
It's the small flat windows which are to large. Easy to replace be pieces of acetate or for  the smallest, Kristal klear

I have one, but not the courage to start it. I am not sure to find a safe place to store this huge model once built.
The first think that I built when I came back to modelling was a display large enough to receive (in the future) a Me 321 with it's Zwilling. Here is a 50years old Airfix B 29 to test .

Regards

Bernard
Click to have the full size

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 02:00:24 PM »

Hi Bernard
It's the small flat windows which are to large. Easy to replace be pieces of acetate or for  the smallest, Kristal klear
Maybe one could file the original pieces. Only, they have to be fixed in very strong way, else they could fall inside the fuselage if touched.  Usually I use white glue for glazing, but it would be inadequate to prevent such accident. 
The first think that I built when I came back to modelling was a display large enough to receive (in the future) a Me 321 with it's Zwilling. Here is a 50years old Airfix B 29 to test .
It's a very wide display. Would be enough for a whole  life.
Regards
Massimo
BLG

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 03:35:04 PM »

Hi Massimo,

They have to be fixed in very strong way : fluid CA, no domage on the transparent I used
They could fall inside the fuselage if touched. : They can fall only outside ,as I file the edges of the hole and those of the windows in a conical shape, otherwise windows would have been difficult to place
Usually I use white glue for glazing, For polystyrene canopies which don't like CA, I use Gator glue, it's an acrylic glue stronger than vinylic glue like Kristal klear or white glue ,
It's a very wide display. Would be enough for a whole  life. Exactly, that was my intention. I will have to build models till my 90 to fill it. Cheesy

First question about the I-16.
I suppose that the right place would be in "Colors, schemes, & research" but this avoid to open a new post. Among the Types 5 I'm building, I want to paint one like this one that I found  on your site
With the star on the spinner ,the camera and the large star (with white border?) on the rudder, I suppose that it's not a   AII-green /AII blue Type-5 which would have been painted with black in summer1941 to follow the NKAP order  but rather a refurbished training aircraft in 1942 or 43. So the paints would be AMT 4-6-7.  What do you think?

Regards
Bernard

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2018, 04:08:31 PM »

Hi Bernard,
this is difficult to say. Of course, it is possible that the stars have a white outline but, for what we see on the tail, the apparent white outline looks an arifact of the jpg compression.
From the photo, there is a suspicious coincidence between the light parts (cowling, door) and metal, and dark parts (fuselage, tail ) and wood. Besides I don't see sure traces of camo on the wings leading edge (only the shadow of the fuselage). So this one could be subject to different interpretations, including that it preserved the original colors that were altered in different ways, darker on wooden surfaces and lighter on metallic ones.  The dark thing over the cowling side could be the exaust pipe and stains. I think to see rockets under the right wing, this suggest a plane of late 41 or 42 used as ground attack plane.
Besides I think that it should have some bort number, not shown on the photo.
Interestingly, it seems that the rudder has a white outer fillet.
So, I suggest to look for some photo of another plane leaving less doubts.
Regards
Massimo
BLG

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2018, 06:14:32 PM »

Hi Massimo,
I'm disapointed Sad. I though that I could avoid one more AIIz Type 5
You wrote for this picture  "Another unusual post-1941 pattern on an I-16 type 5" .
Stapfler in "Polikarpov fighters in action" with the same picture says that "Most Type 6 were given a 2 tones camouflage" .
 Unfortunately, his affirmation has no proof .  I have found no other picture of a type 5 with 2 tones camo.

Do you think that a  post on 2 tones Type-5  in "Colors, schemes, & research" could have answers? Huh

Regards
Bernard

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2018, 09:22:23 PM »

Hi Bernard,
yes, at a first look I thought to a camouflage, but at a better look I have strong doubts on it. It is unusual, certainly.

Other photos of unusual type 5 from the same page:
Photos of I-16 type 5 or 10 of 56 IAP that fought in Khalinin-Gol war against Japaneses, taken in July 1939. The planes show an anticipation of what became the standard black-green camouflage of 1941.

Now, the interpretation is questionable. Observing that the bort number is on the dark area, it could be that the add on color is the lighter one as on I-15bis.

Another unusual one:

Regards
Massimo
BLG

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2018, 11:38:55 PM »

Hi Massimo.
I had seen the Khalkin gol "Type 5" on your page. But I hesitated to use it, as it could be T10. The lack of fuselage machine guns is not obvious. And interpretation  of the camo is difficult  Huh.   I have profiles of Type 10 in a book on the "Nomohan incident" where the autor suppose that the planes came from factory painted grey  and that the  green blotches were added in the field  like the camo of the I-153 and SB. But he presents only green T-5. From what I have read here (You, KL, Xan) and on scalesmodel.ru, all  the type 5 where buit in zavod 21 where they were not painted with grey or alu despite de 1937 orders on paint.
If you think that the blurry picture is a T-5 ,  I will use the profile of the T-10 to paint this T-5 Cheesy.

The winterized red 15 is the plane proposed as the "Type 6" by Amodel. I have  nearly finished it.

I'm currently building the Ishak family from the TsKB 12 (finished) to the I 185 (still on sprues).

Four type-5 are built, and I have to  paint them, it's the reason of my question.
1- first serie, wings type 4, narrow wheels and sliding canopy. Spain  It will be the plane of  Maj Lt Sergey Fedorovich Tarkhov, 1 Escuadrilla CO  1936, bort number 1.
2- second serie, reinforced wings 150x750 wheels, sliding  canopy.  Chinese P2105 of Liu Zhezheng
3-third serie , like 2 with fixed canopy and OP-1 gunsight  . It's the red 15 captured by finns.
4- last serie, like 3 and Pak1 gunsight.  2 tones Nomohan Huh?

The idea is not only to make the different types and the different users  but to try to have the different camo.

No problem for the types 10, but I will have questions for the Type 17 , 24, 28. They are nearly finished , but  I have not choosen their camo.

Best regards
Bernard
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 07:12:41 PM by BLG » Logged

BLG

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2018, 12:13:37 AM »

Hi Massimo,
I open a post on "Colors, schemes, & research" about the camo of Ishaks during the Nomonhan incident. Maybe other members will have suggestions.
Regards
Bernard

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: