Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Searching for VVS Photos
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 01:45:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 58
  Print  
Author Topic: Searching for VVS Photos  (Read 332686 times)
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #285 on: April 16, 2010, 02:42:16 AM »

Here's a photo of a Yak-1 from an unusual angle, which shows some interesting details; I just found this on ebay.de a couple of days ago:

John
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #286 on: April 16, 2010, 07:34:30 AM »

Hi John,
I'm surprised that the plane is nearly intact. It looks a street on the side of a hill, and I don't see traces on the ground. Do you?
Massimo
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #287 on: April 16, 2010, 06:20:59 PM »

Hi John,
I'm surprised that the plane is nearly intact. It looks a street on the side of a hill, and I don't see traces on the ground. Do you?
Massimo

It reminds me of another photo of a Yak-1 (if I remember correctly) in the same position which I think I saw on avia-n-aero. When I get home I'll check to see if I saved it, and I'll post it for comparison if I can find it. It might be the same aircraft, photographed from a different direction.

John
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #288 on: April 16, 2010, 10:37:56 PM »

Hi John,
Massimo

It reminds me of another photo of a Yak-1 (if I remember correctly) in the same position which I think I saw on avia-n-aero. When I get home I'll check to see if I saved it, and I'll post it for comparison if I can find it. It might be the same aircraft, photographed from a different direction.

John

Aha! I found it on avia-n-aero - it does seem to be the same aircraft! Note the fence made of tree branches in the background, and the way only some (not all) of the panels on top of the cowling are missing; also the fuselage number, while not completely clear on both sides, is partially visible if you increase the brightness of the images. It appears to be 23 or perhaps 28:

John
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #289 on: April 17, 2010, 01:19:21 PM »

Hi John,
but how did it arrive there? From the sky? It looks intact...
Massimo
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #290 on: April 17, 2010, 05:10:37 PM »

Hi John,
Massimo

I suppose we will never know the answer to that question. In the first photo, it can be seen that the soil behind the aircraft is disturbed, as if it slid along the ground, or was pulled somehow, but this disturbed area doesn't quite seem to match the shape of the underside of the aircraft. I can only guess that the aircraft made a forced landing, slid along the ground to the edge of the pit (or whatever the lower area is), and then toppled down the side of the pit. The pilot must have had some very anxious moments at that point, as if just trying to avoid crashing wasn't already too frightening! But who knows? Maybe someone decided to dig a pit and bury the aircraft for some unknown reason - maybe somewhere the relics of a Yak-1 are buried, waiting for someone to identify the location and dig up what remains.  Roll Eyes I know, it's a crazy idea...

What I really like, though, is that here again we have multiple photos (two, anyway) of one aircraft, apparently taken at different times by different people. It's wonderful - who knows what we might find next!  Cheesy

John
KL

« Reply #291 on: April 18, 2010, 07:28:52 AM »

Hi John,
Massimo

Hi Massimo & John,

it is visible on both photos that the plane was pushed away from the road.  It's not a highway, but it is a road - you may notice that advancing German infantry is using the same road (horse drawn cart, bicycle, foot soldiers).

Photos of an I-16 type 29 by the road were posted recently on scalemodels.ru.  There are photos showing MiG-3 by the road ? and all those planes has extended undercarriage and no evidence of forced landing (like bent propeller blades).

The explanation is simple:  even before the German attack, new fighter planes were sent to the Western military district units by train.  When relatively close to the airfield, planes were unloaded from trains and then dragged along (dirt) roads to airfields.
German attack caused a complete chaos on the Soviet side.  Among other things the transportation system was more or less paralyzed.  Many planes were abandoned on trains or on railway stations.  Some were abandoned along roads.  And that is what we see on those e-bay photos - abandoned planes.

Cheers,
KL
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #292 on: April 18, 2010, 09:29:45 AM »

Hi Konstantin,
this looks convincing. It looks a good idea for a diorama. Pity that soldiers are available forthemost in 1/35, it's difficult to find suitable figures in 1/72.
Massimo
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #293 on: April 18, 2010, 07:45:48 PM »

Thanks, KL! Also, thank you for clarifying the download procedure for the I-15bis technical manuals in the other thread! For whatever reason, I didn't have to unclick the toolbar offer - somehow it worked for me pretty much as I described it. Regardless, I hope Massimo (and others) can access it now!

John
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #294 on: April 18, 2010, 11:36:19 PM »

Hi Konstantin,
thank you. I've downloaded it . It took more than one hour for the second file, my connection is slow.
Massimo
Apex1701

« Reply #295 on: May 24, 2010, 03:05:40 PM »

Hi guys,

just found this page:
http://militera.lib.ru/memo/russian/drabkin_ay3/ill.html

Some pics are not very useful but who knows you may find a gem.
Here's mine; at about two thirds of the page there's a pic of Lagg-3 / La-5 being built in Zavoda 21.
Looking at the pic I'm wondering about Pilawskii's AII green!!
Look at the contrast between the black and the other color.
Who knows maybe EP is right after all :-))

All the best.

Jean
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 03:41:40 PM by Apex1701 » Logged
marluc

« Reply #296 on: May 24, 2010, 04:18:02 PM »

Thanks Jean for the link,there?re many interesting photos.Greetings.

Martin
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #297 on: May 24, 2010, 05:18:18 PM »

A good site - thanks, Jean! There are some interesting profiles at the end of the page. Also, I noticed that you can go right through all of the images without clicking your mouse by using the left and right cursor arrow keys.

John
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #298 on: May 24, 2010, 05:26:17 PM »

Hi,
I've received this from Hunter19. The site is an historic Russian one.

Unfortunately my connection is too slow. Would anyone have a look and let us know about this video?
Massimo
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #299 on: May 24, 2010, 05:39:07 PM »

Hi guys,

just found this page:
http://militera.lib.ru/memo/russian/drabkin_ay3/ill.html

Some pics are not very useful but who knows you may find a gem.
Here's mine; at about two thirds of the page there's a pic of Lagg-3 / La-5 being built in Zavoda 21.
Looking at the pic I'm wondering about Pilawskii's AII green!!
Look at the contrast between the black and the other color.
Who knows maybe EP is right after all :-))

All the best.

Jean

Hi Jean,
this photo is interesting, but not new. There is some difficulty to interpretate it, but take in mind that the plane could be not completely painted and the light parts could be the yellow putty utilized for the fabric, or fresh and strongly-reflective paint.
According to some sources, green was painted after black.
There are cases, particularly of photos of Yaks, where the (supposed) green appears very light. This is yet unexplained.
Massimo
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 58
  Print  

Jump to: