Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Polikarpov donkeys family. Part 3 : UTI-2 (type 14)
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 11:48:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Polikarpov donkeys family. Part 3 : UTI-2 (type 14)  (Read 4266 times)
BLG

« on: November 03, 2018, 07:23:08 PM »

Hello everyone,

In the  the Ishak family , in order of appearance in chronological order , after Type 4, I present the UTI-2, two-seat unarmed trainer,

With the entry into service of the I-16 in 1934 in the VVS, pilots switched from fixed-gear biplane fighters such as the I-15 to a retractable landing gear monoplane with very different flight characteristics. The need for a two-seater trainer  first led to a derivative of the I-16 type 4  with a single canopy for the two cockpits, the UT-2 , only 2 built.

Then  a model where the 2 separate cockpits were equipped with windscreens, the UTI-2 produces a hundred copies,

To built this model, I used   the Amodel kit of the UTI-4,. This aircraft was developped after the UTI-2 when the M 25 engine became available.
Amodel offers the UTI-4 under 3 boxings, the old one and the 2 new ones. If the boxart has not changed, the new versions correspond to a new mold.

For this UTI-2, I used the old boxing.
The kit is  almost identical to the type 5 that I used to mount the I-16 type 4, but it has an advantage, the engine cowling pannels  are not molded with the fuselage, unlike the new version and it will facilitate the scratch of this very different part between UTI-2 and UTI-4, the work is comparable to what I did to transform the Amodel Type-5 in a Type-4.

Here are the different steps of creating a UTI-2:

1- Fuselage

The  accesses to the cockpit are larger than the one of the I-16 and it is more visible.
So I scratched  a little bit the interior

The dashboards

M25
I corrected floor and seats poorly represented in the kit.

2- Landing gear and wheel wells

The I-16 Amodel having all the same defects in the landing gear, I corrected the wheel wells and  struts as on type 4.
The wheels were 750x100, I refer you to Type 4 for their realization
In this photo we see that I cut the lower cowling panel   with  4 exhausts as the UTI 2 had  a NACA cowling  identical to type 4

3 Wings

The UTI -2 has the wings of Type 4 with spaced ribs while the kit offers the Type5 reinforced version

The technique used on the type 4, enlargement of inter-rib spaces by grinding having given a rather crude result, I decided to use the technique described by Ricardo Rodriguez here:
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/forodemodelismo/proyecto-ishak-capitulo-3-1-parte-antes-de-los-poz-t8820.html#p62625

1- So I put the  plan on the extrados  to cut the part to eliminate.

2-I made a silicon mild of  the intrados which has the right ribs spacing.

then I didn't make a resin  cast of the complete intrados to cut after the useful part as Ricardo did.
I plated the conserved parts of the extrados  in the silicone molds

3- and I poured the PU resin directly into the mold thus formed.
As a result, the PU-polystyrene junction is perfect.

and here is the wing/fuselage junction

4-Engine

As for Type 4, the M-22 engine, its front fairing  and the propeller are obtained  from an ICM I-5 kit.

5- The NACA cowling

To allow the junction cowling / wing, it is necessary to fill the space left by the cutting of the initial lower pannel

For the fuselage /cowling  connection , it is necessary to extend the fuselage with a piece of PC

Here is the engine mounted.

[ / url

To make the cowling , I turned the front plate of the kit to give it the right profile and built the rear part with PC

[url=https://servimg.com/view/19841204/283]

Here is the result waiting for painting and the rear windscreen

6- windscreen

The windscreen of the UTI-4 Amodel corresponds to a late UTI. That of the UTI-2 is a first UTI-4 were different ,
As I had to vacuform the rear , I also redid the front one, the Amodel piece being very thick.
Here are the steps of vacuforming and the result before

and after mounting.

7- Headrest

The headrest and dorsal edge of the fuselage are angular on these early versions of UTI while the shape is rounded on later UTI, similar to I-16.

Here is the result

For painting, I used the standards of the era , so it's identical to Type 4 : black hcowling , "protective green" top (Humbrol 86) and light blue underside  (Humbrol 65). Red stars with a black  borders and circles were obtained from the I-5 kit used for the engine.

Finished

Regards

Bernard
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 10:49:37 PM by BLG » Logged

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 10:25:00 PM »

Hi Bernard,
the description of the conversion work is very clear, thank you for sharing this work.  How about the new boxing, is it better than the old one?
Regards
Massimo
BLG

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 10:48:33 PM »

Thank you Massimo,

Amodel has improved the molding technique , and corrected the majority of the shortcomings of the previous kit, unfortunately it had lost the accuracy of the fuselage  and the cowling .
Advantages:
Easier to build
Good landing gears, wheels, wheel wells ,propeller, trailing edge of the ailerons

Shortcomings
Exhaust vents have a false shape
The rear of the fuselage is far to slim , seen from above.

Regards
Bernard

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 03:02:38 PM »

Hi Brnard,
are these things true for the type 5 too? I think that it was remade too.
Regards
Massimo
BLG

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 04:19:23 PM »

Hi Massimo,
The last Amodel Type-5 kits that I bought were exactly the same than the old one.
The only difference is in the box of the "Type -6", with skis.
Initially, there were the sprues of the type 5 and a sprue with the skies, RS 82 and specific intrados with the protection plates and holes for the RS 82 rails. So, if you built the kit with rockets , you got a "normal" intrados  for the spare box.  Grin
 As  I have done for the early type-5, it was possible to use this intrados  and a type 5 kit to make an early type wing, either for an early type-5 or a Type 4 , or even for a TsKB-12.

In the last box I bought, the "normal" intrados lacked, it was hand cut from  the type-5 sprue.  Angry
regards
Bernard
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 05:00:44 PM by BLG » Logged

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 08:42:52 AM »

Hi Bernard,
pity, I hope that some of the problems were resolved.
Regards
Massimo
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2018, 11:41:12 PM »

Hello, Bernard! I just want to comment that I'm very interested in your work with the I-16 series, and I hope you will continue with more articles in this series. I'm especially interested in how you will model the types 5, 10, and 29, and any comments you can make regarding the ICM kits.

Best regards;
John
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: