Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Il-2 cutaway
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 02:14:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Il-2 cutaway  (Read 21813 times)
Shugayev

« on: November 15, 2018, 05:35:16 AM »

Hi all,
I have started building a 1/48 Tamiya Il-2 and I intend to show a lot of interior detail. The question is: How true is the coloring in the cutaway drawing below especially in the places I have arrowed?..i.e.: fuselage tanks color, wooden fuselage interior color,wing ribs color and radiator air intake color.
Thanks a lot,
Panagiotis.

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 09:37:27 AM »

Hi Panagiotis,
for a first try to answer you can have a look here:
http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/colors/internal-colors-primers/internal-colors-primers.html
Late Il-2 with metallic wings seem to have a red brown primer inside the wings, but it is not clear if this color can be seen in the weapons bays.  Many wrecks (of previous versions) show dark green inside the flaps and, in part, into the landing gear bays.
More to come, I hope.
Regards
Massimo

Shugayev

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 02:06:51 PM »

Hi Massimo,
Thanks a lot for your prompt reply. The link is stunning and l'm sure I'll find all my questions answered. Smiley
Cheers,
Panagiotis.
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 08:08:27 AM »

Hi,
about wooden fuselage: an early MiG-3 of 1941 shows wood color.  Early Lavochkins seem to have silver wood in the cockpit area, but it seems black on the rear area.
Il-2M3 is of 1944/45, so I suppose that the rear area, the gunner cockpit at least, was painted with DD-118 uninflammable grey paint, in the range of Humbrol 27, not very different from A-14.
Fuel piping were yellow, but I think that the fuel tanks were covered by a layer of rubber to be self-sealing, giving a blackish look.
Regards
Massimo
Shugayev

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 08:35:36 AM »

Hi,
about wooden fuselage: an early MiG-3 of 1941 shows wood color.  Early Lavochkins seem to have silver wood in the cockpit area, but it seems black on the rear area.
Il-2M3 is of 1944/45, so I suppose that the rear area, the gunner cockpit at least, was painted with DD-118 uninflammable grey paint, in the range of Humbrol 27, not very different from A-14.
Fuel piping were yellow, but I think that the fuel tanks were covered by a layer of rubber to be self-sealing, giving a blackish look.
Regards
Massimo
Thanks a lot Massimo. Smiley I'll be back with another question. I feel I'm in the right place here. Wink
Cheers,
Panagiotis.
Shugayev

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 08:06:36 PM »

Hi again,
I'm watching this restoration link with great interest..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWCM7RQhbqc

My question is..Are the light yellow-green and grey primers? I think -you know much better- if  they are reliable? For the grey as you have mentioned above, was painted below the camo floor of the fuselage?

Cheers,
Panagiotis.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 08:11:45 PM by Shugayev » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2018, 09:22:45 PM »

Hi Panagiotis,
those primers don't resemble to what I have seen on photos of wrecks. Yes, yellow is plausible as ALG-1, but I have seen shades of grey-green (alg-5?) and red brown inside the wings. It is very possible that these colors were covered by a layer of grey on inside surfaces that remained accessible, and this was lost due to weathering.
The accuracy of the colors of that restoration is bad, green-black camo went out of use in 1943 and that version of plane is of 1944-45.
Regards
Massimo
Shugayev

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2018, 08:44:41 AM »

Spasiba balsoia Massimo. 😊
I've started my OOB Il-2M3 1/48 scale. The big fun though will be with my detailed Shturmovik for which I keep the read-up with your valuable help. Wink
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2018, 11:24:28 AM »

Hi Pamagiotis,
about the rear UB of the kit of Tamiya, it has a cylinder on its top that is present on some postwar planes, but I have never (or nearly) seen it on wartime planes. I suggest to check this detail after havng choosen the plane you want to reproduce.
Regards
Massimo
Shugayev

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2018, 07:44:57 PM »

Hi Massimo,
You mean this one here?

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2018, 10:33:54 PM »

Hi,
no, I remember a short horizontal cylinder over the gas recovery pipe, but now I don't see it on this photo. I wonder if I remember badly, or this kit was corrected. The cylinder can be seen on the photos of the plane in Prague museum, but not on the wartime ones.
Regards
Massimo
Shugayev

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2018, 05:35:55 PM »

Hi Massimo,
I saw somewhere a side view of an all black Il-2. Point is, I can't find it again. I think it's a good idea for me to get my cutaway project done on a black background so that the primer colouring should show much better. Could you please tell me if indeed there were black painted Il-2s?
Cheers,
Panagiotis.
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2018, 12:35:51 PM »

Hi Panagiotis,
no, I don't think at all. I think to have seen the profile, but never any photo.
Some Yugoslavian Il-2s were painted overall dark grey, if I remember well.
Regards
Massimo
Shugayev

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2018, 05:41:33 AM »

Hi Panagiotis,
no, I don't think at all. I think to have seen the profile, but never any photo.
Some Yugoslavian Il-2s were painted overall dark grey, if I remember well.
Regards
Massimo
Hi Massimo, 
Pity, it woulld be nice. Found the profile btw.

Cheers,
Panagiotis.
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2018, 09:46:17 AM »

Hi Panagiotis,
yes, I remember that profile on 'Profiles' serie, sorry for the joke of words.  Not credible at all.
Regards
Massimo
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: