Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
A new book with Mr. Orlov among the authors
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 10:29:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: A new book with Mr. Orlov among the authors  (Read 8352 times)
learstang

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2019, 12:20:10 AM »

Thank you gentlemen for the heads up on this book! I was tempted to buy it, but I think I'll pass it up now.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
AC26

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2019, 06:54:38 PM »

Hi all,

I have now read this book. What I'm familiar are the Luftwaffe and the VVS which I can comment a bit.

Luftwaffe seems to be in line with earlier works of the late Ken Merrick and Michael Ullman. After their latest books new information of the late-war colours (RLM 80 to 83) has been found and it is presented. There are also plenty of original documents including colour cards printed.

About the VVS there are not much new for longer term enthusiast of the subject but especially various camouflage trials are quite extensively presented. In fact I would have preferred more pictures of the standard cases instead. For the documents same can be said as I already said about the Luftwaffe.

Profile of the MIG-3 of lieutenant Estjen would have been better after having a look of Massimo's page of the aircraft Wink

No comments about RAF and the USA from me. I hope to hear someone else commenting about them.

So far I'm happy that I obtained it. I'd say it as a one stop resource of the main combatants of the WWII aviation colours. Unless something similar as in the tank book is found...

About the price... It could have been split into four books, each of one country, and all of them sold for 40-50 €s.

I have nothing to do with the publisher or the authors of this publication.

Cheers,

AaCee
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2019, 08:14:10 AM »

Hi  AaCee
good to know about the Luftwaffe chapter.
Profile of the MIG-3 of lieutenant Estjen would have been better after having a look of Massimo's page of the aircraft
What is wrong with their profile? I haven't seen it.

Regards
Massimo
AC26

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2019, 07:06:20 PM »

Hi Massimo,

Profile has the tail number "1" outlined in white and rear fuselage trestle markings are missing.

Cheers,

AaCee
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2019, 06:27:29 AM »

Hi AaCee,
I see. In tht case, there is the rudder preserved in Finland and we can know for sure. I wonder how many unsuspected colors can be found. There is an excellent series of articles by Timin on recent M-Hobby with great images, particularly at the time of Barbarossa. I would love to see a translation. Probably they are not fundamental as those of Orlov twenty years ago, but give a lot of new nice images.
Regards
Massimo
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2019, 08:52:33 AM »

Hi all,
I received a mail from Maciej Goralczyk of AK interactive. Here it is:

Hi Massimo,

I've seen some comments on your forum.
To clarify some things:
- the Aircraft book was essentially created by a different editorial team than the AFV book. Aside from the authors and illustrator, the only people involved in its creation were: me as the executive editor, and the graphic designer which is also Polish and works for AK-Interactive as an outside contractor, plus a fellow modeller and magazine contributor from UK, who proof read the German and Soviet chapters.
- each author have seen the layout and was able to comment it, recommend any changes and approve their application before anything went to print. So, no stories about ghostwriting apply here. This also concerns the colour profiles - all were shown to the authors for their approval.
- from what I know, all the authors are happy with the result and do not complain about anything. Perhaps the Soviet chapter does not bring a lot of news for the "die-hard" afficionados as some of the members of your forum, but for Russians it is very important as their voice against Pilavski's claims - hence the Scalemodels.ru support, whose one of the admins helped with translation and contacts with Mr. Orlov
- regarding the AMT-12 tone - in the colour table there's colour description from Mr. Orlov: "Very dark, close to black" - these are his own words, and I'm not in position to argue with him.

Kind regards,
Maciej
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2019, 09:41:04 PM »

Interesting. But "very dark, close to black" doesn't mean the same as black as the AK colour is presented. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall that a field substitute for AMT-12 consisted of a mix of black (AMT-6) and blue (AMT-7), so the end result would be a very dark blue-grey, not dead black.

John
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2019, 07:23:49 AM »

Hi John,
two links from Maciej:
https://abload.de/img/dsc_0469jhjew.jpg
https://abload.de/img/dsc_0471byj1h.jpg
Seems that their AMT-12 is as dark as Akan, and probably it appears this way on the Nakrasok.
Probably the real paint had some variability and was prone to fade.
Regards
Massimo
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: