Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Polikarpov donkeys family part 6: Type 5 , windshield-OP1. Finland 1942
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 01:14:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Polikarpov donkeys family part 6: Type 5 , windshield-OP1. Finland 1942  (Read 2776 times)
BLG

« on: December 05, 2018, 05:46:32 PM »

Type 5, windscreen , OP-1 gunsight

The following type 5 is the one proposed by Amodel under the name "Type-6". The boxart is wrong. It represents a sliding canopy.

In fact, this "Type-6" would not exist in the VVS nomenclature.
There would have been about sixty of type 5 equipped with a third fuselage machine gun, which would have deserved a change of type, but this information is very controversial.

I propose this version in chronological order, fixed windshield, OP-1 sight and reinforced wing because it is the one which appears in 1938 when the lessons of the war of Spain show that the sliding canopy often opaque and difficult to open in flight was unanimously rejected by the pilots.

This version was still used in 1942 since the plane presented was captured by the Finns in Suursari on March 27, 1942. It will become the IR-101 in the Ilmavoimat.
Of course, he no longer served as a fighter but fore close support, equipped with six RS-82 rockets under the wings.

Amodel provided an additional cluster with
-the skis and good landing gear, so no need for the corrections seen in the other kits,
-the rockets, correct and their rails, very coarse,
-a new intrados showing the aluminum plate that protected the wing of the flame of the RS-82
-a cone-free propeller, the I-16s converted to the ground attack were generally devoid of cones and wheels covers

The decals are wrong if we want to respect the photos of this aircraft. The red 15  was hand painted and the intrados stars were of different size, probably as a result of a change of outer wing panel.

I do not detail the assembly that is identical to the Chinese Type-5 previously described, apart from mounting the skis and rockets.
I used frontplate and shutter of the PE Ace to represent closed shutters.

Here it is before painting

Here are the pictures taken by the Finns and my interpretation.

The intrados is AMT-7 rather than AIIg .. On the one hand the contrast with the white is very important, on the other hand we are in 42 and this plane built in 1938 had certainly been repainted with the standards AMT 4/6 / 7 before receiving this winter camo. And AlexGRD said OK.

I made the 15th in decals from the photos. AMT-7 is from the Akan,

The size  difference between stars is not an error as can be checked on one of the original picture

Regards
Bernard
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 10:14:57 AM by BLG » Logged

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 10:21:37 PM »

Hi Bernard,
this work is welcome. I like your way to explain your systematic work on this type.
Regards
Massimo
BLG

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 07:35:29 PM »

Hi Massimo,
Thank for your support.
Regards
Bernard

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: