Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
THE CAMOUFLAGE OF THE AIRCRAFT OF THE RED ARMY AIR FORCE IN 1941
Sovietwarplanes
March 19, 2024, 07:43:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: THE CAMOUFLAGE OF THE AIRCRAFT OF THE RED ARMY AIR FORCE IN 1941  (Read 12054 times)
righidan

« on: February 26, 2019, 06:53:29 PM »

Dear friends,
   These last months have been much interesting for all of us interested in the Soviet aircraft colors of the Second World War.
   First, we have had a translation of the works of M. Orlov, published in “Real colors of WW II Aircraft” from AK Interactive, and then we have had a new series of articles based on original documents from Misha Timin in M-Hobby starting from July 1918.
   Anyone who is interested in Mr. Orlov work can buy the aforementioned volume.
   The articles of Mr. Timin are, for the moment, available only in Russian.
   For a couple of Euros, you can download them from the Google Play app, or you can get a subscription or order them by post.
   The interest of these articles by Mr. Timin is that among all the material he has studied, he has found in the Central Archive of the Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation, files about aircraft accidents in 1941.
   In these documents, you can find the factory number of the plane, the regiment in which it operated, and the date of the accident.
   With all this material, he has been able to reconstruct as exactly as possible, the evolution of the Soviet aircraft camouflage in that chaotic year.
   Hoping to make something useful for all the members of this forum I will post a translation of the captions of these articles, so that all of us that are not native Russian speakers can enjoy and understand the many illustrations that make a great part of these articles.
   To have an idea of the illustration of these works, you can look at Vedran post in    
“Re: New VVS colours and markings articles in Russian M-Hobby magazine”
   In the captions, there are many abbreviations, and to help to understand them I begin with a glossary:
- ADD      Long-Range Aviation
(АДД      Авиация Дальнего Действия)
- AKDD   Long-Range Aviation Corps
(АКДД    Авиационный Корпус Дальнего Действия)
- APDD   Long-Range Aviation Regiment
(АПДД   Авиационный Полк Дальнего Действия)
- BAP      Bomber Aviation Regiment
(БАП       Бомбардировочный Авиационный Полк)
- Glyptal:     An alkyd resin obtained from polyhydric alcohols and polybasic organic acids or their anhydrides; used for surface coatings (Collins English Dictionary)
- GV      Guards
(ГВ.      Гвардейский)
- GKO      State Defense Committee
(ГКО      Государственный Комитет Обороны)
- GU VVS   Main Directorate of the Air Force
(ГУВВС   Главное управление ВВС)
- IAD      Fighter Air Division
(Иад      Истребительная Авиационная Дивизия)
- IAK      Fighter Aircraft Corps
(Иак      Истребительный Авиационный Корпус)
- IAP      Fighter Aviation Regiment
(Иап      Истребительный Авиационный Полк)
- NIIVVS   Scientific and Testing Institute of the Air Force
(НИИ ВВС   Научно-Испытательный Институт ВВС)
- NKAP   People's Commissariat of Aviation Industry
(НКАП   Народный Комиссариат Авиационной Промышленности)
- NKXP   People's Commissariat of Chemical Industry
(НКХП   Народный Комиссариат Химической Промышленности)
OSNAZ   Special Purpose
(ОСНАЗ   Особого Назначения)
- OKB      Experimental Design Bureau
(ОКБ      Опытное Конструкторское Бюро)
- PARM   Field Aircraft Repair Shops
(ПАРМ   Полевые Авиаремонтные Мастерские)
- PVO      Anti Aircraft Defense
(ПВО      Противовоздушная Оборона)
- RAP      Reconnaissance Aviation Regiment
(РАП       Разведывательный Авиационный Полк)
- RezAP   Reserve Aviation Regiment
(РезАП   Резервный Авиационный Полк)
- SAVO   Central Asian Military District
(САВО   Среднеазиатский военный округ)
- SBAP   Fast Bomber Aviation Regiment
(СБАП   Скоростной Бомбардировочный Авиационный Полк)
- SHAD   Assault Aviation Division
(ШАД      Штурмовая Авиационная Дивизия)
- SHAP   AssaultAviationRegiment
(ШАП      Штурмовой Авиационный Полк)
- SNK       Council of People's Commissars
(СНК       Сове́т Наро́дных Комисса́ров)
- TU      Technical Specification
(ТУ      технические условия)
- TsAMO RF    Central Archive of the Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation
(ЦАМО РФ   Центральный Архив Министерства Обороны Российской Федерации)
- VIAM    All-Union Institute of Aviation Materials
(ВИАМ    Всесоюзный Институт Авиационных Материалов)
- VVS      AirForce
(ВВС      Военно-Воздушные Силы)
- VVS KA   Red Army Air Force
(ВВС КА   Военно-Воздушные Силы Красной Армии)
- YUF      Southern Front
(ЮФ      Южный фронт)
- ZAP      Reserve Fighter Regiment
(ЗАП      Запасной Истребительный Авиационный Полк)

The first article appeared in M-Hobby of July 2018, and regards the events of 1940, with the introduction of the Green – Blue livery, with colors AII protective green and light blue for fabric, and light green A-19f, and light blue A-18f for metal.
   Owing to the poor properties of these colors, a new series was elaborated, comprising seven colors: 1 - "light brown" 2 - "gray" 3 - "yellow" (light green), 4 - "green" 5 - "Dark Green" 6 - "achromatic" (black) 7 - "blue gray".
   After the experiment with casein removable paint, it was decided to paint a small number of fighters and a larger numbers of Pe-2 bombers with several three-color schemes on the top of the planes, using the colors AMT-1, AMT-2, AMT-3, AMT-4, AMT-5, and AMT-6.
   At the same time, in the workshop of Yakovlev, a different camouflage was applied, that consisted of green and black for the upper surfaces.
   All these options are widely illustrated, and here you can find the captions:

MH 7/2018

Pg 32
I-153 from factory No. 1 from May 1940 were painted in the new scheme, green on top and blue on the bottom with dopes AII (protective green) and AII (light blue).
Drawing by Alexander Kazakov.

SB bombers produced in factory No. 22 from May 1940 (since SB No. 19/294) were painted in the new scheme of green top and blue bottom with glyptal enamels A-19ф (light green) and A-18ф (light blue). Drawing by Alexander Kazakov.

Pg33
1. SB, factory No. 12/220, from the 24th SBAP after repairs was painted in the new scheme in green top and blue bottom A-19ф (light green) and A-18ф (light blue). Generally, different SB from the 24th of SBAP in the spring of 1941 were painted both in new and old schemes [1]. 2-4. SB, factory No. 19/70, from the 24th SBAP after repairs was painted in the new scheme in green top and blue bottom А-19ф (light green) and A-18ф (light blue). 5-7.This SB with factory No. 8/217 of the 24th SBAP remained in standard coloring with light grey enamel AE-9. 8-9. SB No. 3/115 of the 5th squadron of the 48th SBAP is painted according to the so-called" Khalkhin-Gol” scheme: green spots of irregular shape are applied on a light gray background of enamel AE-9 or silver AE-8. Judging by the photos, most, and possibly all the SB of the 48th SBAP, were painted in this way [2]. 10-11. This SB of the 48th SBAP was destroyed by German aircraft at the airport Russka-Zhensk. Painted on the so-called "Khalkhin-Gol” scheme.

Reconstruction from photographs of SB No. 19/70. Drawing by Alexander Kazakov.

Reconstruction from photos of SB with tactical number 6 <sic! It is 9> Drawing by Alexander Kazakov.

Pg 34 
I-153 of the 160th IAP with tactical number 15 is painted according to the so-called "Khalkhin-Gol” scheme: green spots of irregular shape on a light gray or silver background. In the 160th IAP the I-153 were painted as from the factory in "new" blue-green standard, or in a makeshift "Khalkhin-Gol” color or still retained the "old" light grey color scheme [3].

I-153 of the 160th IAP with tactical number 6, serial number 8030. One of the last aircraft produced by the factory No. 1 painted in the "old" scheme of light grey with dope AII Sv. ser.

Reconstruction from photographs of I-153 of the 160th IAP, tactical No. 15 and No. 6. Drawings by Alexander Kazakov.

Pg 35
I-153 No. 6848 of the 4th IAP, broken in an accident on 25.03.41. Aircraft painted on the so-called "Khalkhin-Gol "scheme, as a rule, painted quite freely, so that the green "snakes" were drawn only in those places where the military responsible for this event managed to get without too much hassle [4].

Reconstruction from photographs of the I-16 type 24 of the 116th IAP, SAVO Air Force. Drawings by Alexander Kazakov.

I-16 type 24 tactical No. 6, factory No. 2421 D-8 from the 1st squadron of the 116th IAP and I-16 type 24 No. 10, factory No. 2421 D-31 from the 2nd squadron of the 116th IAP, May 1941, the Central Asian Military District (SAVO). Both aircraft were painted with silver (aluminium) dope AII Al, but were originally painted with the standard AII protective (green) and light blue colors [5].

Pg 36
Scheme of experimental color for LaGG-3, option No.1 (colors: AMT-1, AMT-4, and AMT-6). Drawing by Sergei Trufanov.
Scheme of experimental color for LaGG-3, option No.1A (colors: AMT-2, AMT-3, and AMT-5). Drawing by Sergei Trufanov.
Scheme of experimental color for LaGG-3, option No.2 (colors: AMT-1, AMT-4, and AMT-6). Drawing by Sergei Trufanov.
Scheme of experimental color for LaGG-3, option No. 2A (colors: AMT-2, AMT-3, and AMT-5). Drawing by Sergei Trufanov.
Scheme of experimental color for LaGG-3, option No.3 (colors: AMT-1, AMT-4, and AMT-6). LaGG-3 No.31213-78, painted according to this scheme, became the only aircraft in tricolor scheme that took part in the fighting. Drawing by Sergei Trufanov.

Pg 37 
"Tricolor" LaGG-3 No. 3121376 - the plane crashed and was subsequently transferred as a training plane to the 2nd ZAP. It is interesting that, despite the color is a glossy dope, the photo does not leave the impression of a strong gloss of the surfaces of the aircraft.

Left: PE-2 of the 317th RAP, Odessa region, summer 1941. Aircraft produced after 20.06.41. Right: PE-2 Lost in the summer of 1941.

Left: forced landing of PE-2. The aircraft is painted in three-color camouflage. Right: the tail of the PE-2 of the 410th BAP OSNAZ shoot down in July 1941 in Vitebsk. You can clearly see the camouflage.

Pg 38
Accident of two UTI-4 No.15153346 and 15153348 of the 167th RezAP, produced at the factory No.153 on 2.07.41 Aircraft painted in three-color camouflage.

Reconstruction of the three-color scheme for UTI-4 produced by plant No. 153. Presumed colors: green (protective AII), camel (tobacco AII), black (AII black or MV-109 or MW-6). Drawing by Sergei Trufanov.

Reconstruction of the color scheme for the UTI-26-I that was developed by design Bureau of A. S. Yakovlev in 1940. Green AII protective and black (presumably AII black, or MV-109 or MV-6). Drawing by Sergei Trufanov.

UTI-26-I during factory tests in July 1940.

Pg 39
The experimental painting of fighter I-26 from the archive of the Yakovlev Design Bureau. Drawing by Sergei Trufanov.

Prototypes of the fighters I-28 and I-30 in a characteristic experimental color during factory tests, 1940.

The experimental painting of fighter I-26 from the archive of the Yakovlev design Bureau.
Courtesy of S. D. Kuznetsov.

As soon as possible, I will continue posting new translations, but I fear that it will not be possible before next week
Regards
Daniele

Daniele
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 08:28:36 AM »

Hi Daniele,
thank you very much for this great and much needed work.
The glossary of abbreviations looks very well made, it could be made a copy to put in some location that will be easily findable in future. Maybe as pinned thread or on the pages of the site.
Best regards
Massimo
righidan

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 07:28:16 PM »

Dear friends,
good news!
   I have just downloaded on my phone the latest issue of M-Hobby, and it contains the 8th article of Mr. Timin, and at least another one is due.
   But I need your help: In the third article, there is a drawing of a DB-3 of the 1st squadron LAKU KE. I have not been able to find what ЛАКУ КЭ means.
   Could it be a misprint?   I hope that someone in the forum will be able to answer this question.
Regards
Daniele

Daniele
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 09:57:30 PM »

Hi Daniele,
this is strange, LAKU KE appears between the name of the unit and that of the pilot.
No idea.
Regards
Massimo
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 04:31:30 PM »

Hi Daniele,
from Anna Popova:
The abbreviation is ....

ЛАКУ КЭ
Липецкий Авиационные Курсы Усовершенствования Командиров Эскадрилий
Lipetsk Aviation Courses for the Improvement of Squadron Commanders

- Anna

Regards
Massimo
righidan

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2019, 10:11:35 PM »

Dear friends,
Please let me thank Massimo and Anna Popova, without them I would have never imagined what LAKU KE would have meant!
In the second part of Mr. Timin study, we find several different orders: the instructions to paint all planes, and an experimental number, with three color upper surface camouflage, was overruled by the order No. 0042 of June 19, 1941, by the NKO, the highest military department of the USSR from 1934 to 1946.
   To this next day followed the resolution No. 1711 of SNK, the Council of People's Commissars,"on masking color of aircraft, runways, tents and airfield facilities", and several annexes.
   All these orders served the purpose of producing and implementing a simpler scheme of camouflage, inspired by the one proposed by the Yakovlev bureau.
   This scheme was represented in color in the order, and you can find it on page 32 of the article, or, in a much larger format, on page 245 of the “Real Colors of WW2 Aircaft” book.
   The underside is an unspecified blue, the upper colors are AMT 4 and 6, or the corresponding ones for metal, and the spinner is painted in black, with oil paint AM-26.
   The star were four, two under the wings and two on the tail.
   As Barbarossa started on 22 June 1941, it is understandable that not all NKAP factories could obey the order, even if most did their best to comply.
   Several samples are shown and discussed, and the best idea can be got by the illustrations.
Here you can find the captions:

MH 8/2018

Pg 32
Schemes and colors for camouflage painting of single-engine and twin-engine aircraft approved by the decision of the SNK No. 1711 from 20.06.41 as camouflage for the aircraft of the VVS KA.

Schemes and colors for camouflage painting of single-engine and twin-engine aircraft. Green (AMT-4 or AM-24) and black (AMT-6 or AM-26), black spinner – AM-26. Reconstruction drawing of Sergei Trufanov.

Pg33
Temporary scheme for painting LaGG-3 aircraft, factory No. 21, option No. 4. Used paints AMT-4 and AMT-6. According to the instructions, the colors of the camouflage in this scheme were supposed to alternate to a mirror scheme for each other airplane. The position of the stars in the diagram was not displayed, but the instructions indicated that a star with a diameter of 0.6 m was applied to the tail: half on the fin - half on the rudder. Figure by Alexander Kazakov.

LaGG-3 from factory No. 21 with the factory number 31214-6 of the Commander of the145th IAP Captain L. A. Galchenko as of autumn 1941. Drawing By Alexander Kazakov.

LaGG-3 factory No. 31214-6 of the 145th IAP was probably painted in the black and green temporary camouflage of factory No. 21 (not standardized, from among 6 LaGG-3, painted without drawing up the scheme). On top AMT-4 and AMT-6, below nitrocellulose lacquer II "light blue", the propeller blades – black AM-26, stars in four positions – nitrocellulose lacquer II “red”. The plane was photographed at different times - some of the photos are of the fall of 1941, the other was made in the summer of 1942.

Pg34
Scheme of camouflage for LaGG-3, introduced at the factory number 21 in late June 1941. It is made according to the scheme attached to the resolution SNK No. 1711. Paint AMT-4 and AMT-6. According to the instructions, the scheme was supposed to be used with the inversion of camouflage colors each other plane. The stars were drawn in four positions, also according to the scheme. Reconstruction drawing of Sergei Trufanov.

Scheme of camouflage painting for PE-2 aircraft, introduced at the factory number 22 at the end of June 1941, according to the scheme annexed to the decision of the SNK No. 1711. Paint AM-24 and AM-26. Reconstruction drawing of Sergei Trufanov.

Pg 35
Pe-2 tactical No. white 5 from the 48th BAP of the 6th SAD, August 1941. Plane of the 29 series factory number 22. The aircraft is painted in accordance with the scheme attached to the resolution of the Council of People's Commissars No. 1711, paints AM-24 and AM-26.

PE-2 No. 5 of the 48th BAP 6th SAD. Reconstruction from photos and frames of newsreels. Drawing By Alexander Kazakov.

Pg 36
Pe-2 factory number 105, produced by factory No.124 (the 5th plane of the 1st series), which was broken in an accident. The bomber is painted in black and green camouflage; the stars are drawn in four positions, according to the scheme attached to the order of SNK No. 1711

Reconstruction of the painting scheme of PE-2, factory No. 105 produced at factory No. 124. Drawing By Alexander Kazakov.

Reconstruction of the coloring scheme for Pe-2 with tactical number 64 from the 5th SBAP VVS YUF. Figure by Alexander Kazakov.

Pe-2 with tactical number 64 from the 5th SBAP of the VVS YUF captured at the site of an emergency landing. The aircraft produced by factory No. 39, presumably from the 12th series, is painted in an improvised black and green camouflage, but the stars are painted in four positions, according to the scheme in the order of the Council of People's Commissars No. 1711.

Pg 37
Accident of Pe-2 with tactical number 1 from the 50th SBAP. Aircraft of the 5th series produced in factory number 39, factory No. 390515. Improvised black-and-green camouflage, but the stars are painted in four positions, according to the scheme in the order of the Council of People's Commissars No. 1711.

Reconstruction of the painting scheme for the PE-2 with tactical number 1 from the 50th SBAP. Drawing By Alexander Kazakov.

Another PE-2 from the 5th SBAP VVS YUF is painted in an improvised black and green camouflage, the stars are drawn in four positions, on the bottom of the wing and on the tail, according to the scheme in the resolution of SNK No. 1711. The plane burned down after an emergency landing.

Reconstruction of the painting scheme of an Il-2 of the 74th SHAP. Drawing By Alexander Kazakov.

Il-2 of the 74th SHAP shot down in mid-July 1941 near Zhitomir.

Pg 38
Reconstruction of the coloring scheme for an IL-2 tactical No. 3 from the 61st SHAP. Illustration by Alexander Kazakov.

IL-2 tactical number 3 of the 61th SHAP, photographed by German soldiers at the airport of Shatalovo. The aircraft is painted according to the scheme attached to the resolution of SNK No. 1711, stars in four positions.

Il-2, painted according to the scheme in the resolution of SNK No. 1711 in black and green camouflage with stars in four positions, photographed by the Germans after a forced landing.

Pg 39
Reconstruction of the painting scheme for Yak-1 of the 16th series with factory No. 1816. Drawing By Alexander Kazakov.

Accident of two Yak-1 of the 16th and 21st series, with factory No. 1816, and 1221, respectively, at the airfield of factory No. 292 on July 12, 1941. Aircraft painted similarly to the Yak-1 No. 1411 in black and green camouflage on a makeshift scheme.

Reconstruction of the painting schemes of Yak-1 with serial number 1411. Drawing By Alexander Kazakov.

Yak-1 with white tactical number 5. Series 11th aircraft, factory number 1411. The fighter was handed over to the flying crew of the 13th ZAP until July 12, 41, and had an accident on August 31, 41. Pilot junior lieutenant G.A. Kuznetsov.

Pg 40
Su-2 variant spotter. Photos taken during the tests in August 1941, the aircraft is painted in black and green camouflage, stars in four positions, according to the resolution of SNK No. 1711.

Reconstruction of the painting scheme for the Su-2 spotter variant. Drawing By Alexander Kazakov.

Reconstruction of the aspect of I-153 tactical number 10 from the 160th IAP. Drawing By Alexander Kazakov.

The I-153 fighters that have been overhauled in the factory No. 1 were received for the completion of the 160th IAP. The planes are painted green without camouflage spots, the stars are in four positions, according to the order of the SNK No. 1711.

Pg 41
Reconstruction of the appearance of the MiG-3 aircraft produced in June 1941, before the aircraft with the factory number 3501. The stars on the fuselage and the upper surfaces of the wings are painted over; the star is applied on the tail in accordance with the scheme of the order of the SNK No. 1711. For comparison below, the aircraft is added in the standard pre-war color and with the location of markings in six positions. Figure by Alexander Kazakov.

Reconstruction of the color scheme of the Yak-4 of 314th or 316th RAP. Drawing By Alexander Kazakov.

A Yak-4, presumably from the 314th or 316th RAP. The aircraft is painted in standard black and green camouflage, stars in four positions, according to the resolution SNK No. 1711.

Regards
Daniele

Daniele
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2019, 07:04:50 AM »

Hi Daniele,
thank you for posting these highly interesting translations.
The mail of Anna Popova was a surprise for me too.
A thing that wasn't clear for me is that, for one month only, the prescriptions of the NKAP previded four stars only, excluding those on the fuselage.
Regards
Massimo
righidan

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 11:51:28 PM »

Dear Massimo,
   I would say that the period "of the four stars" was overlooked not by you, but by everyone, until Mr. Timin showed us many examples, so now we are able to see what was evident in some photographs.
   I would say that even the contemporary Soviets were overlooking this short period.

You can see from this image from an official recognition book of the year 1941, that only the old and new six star insigna are visible, and the four star period is completely overlooked.
Regards
Daniele
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 12:06:20 AM by righidan » Logged

Daniele
righidan

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2019, 07:55:36 PM »

Dear friends,
   in his third article Mr. Timin reports in detail the four instructions for painting aircraft with non-decodable colors from appendix No. 2 (order of NKO No. 0043).
   These instruction say how to paint, in great detail, according to the scheme that we have seen in the previous article, how to prepare the surface that must be painted, how much paint is needed, and so on.
   The order had to be executed from the first days of July, but of course, given the war situation, it was followed sometime in parts and very often in an improvised way.
   It must be considered that the correct paints were not available to all units, that often lacked a copy of the order with the attached color illustration.
   From the captions you can follow everything trough the illustrations.

MH 9/2018

Pg 26
Left: I-153 factory No. 6598 of the 171st IAP, 77th SAD VVS MVO, broken in an accident at the airport of Tula on 1.07.41, Second Lieutenant V. S .Artemyev. The plane was still in the bright pre-war coloring. In the center and right: Another I-153 factory No. 6760 of the same 171st IAP, 77th SAD VVS MVO, broken in a crash at the airport of Tula about 4.07.41. Pilot Junior Lieutenant O.I. Shuvalov died. The plane was already partially camouflaged [3].

SB tactical No. 2 allegedly from the 4th squadron of the 44th SBAP left on the airfield of Gribochki. The aircraft is painted in improvised black and green camouflage, the stars are applied in six positions according to the pre-war standard.

Pg 27
SB tactical No. 1 of the 2nd SBAP made an emergency landing in territory occupied by the enemy. The aircraft is painted in an improvised black and green camouflage, the stars are applied in six positions according to the pre-war standard.

I-16 type 5 tactical No. 891 serial number 521894 of the 154th IAP 39th IAD. The fighter made an emergency landing. The aircraft is painted in improvised black and green camouflage, the stars are applied in six positions according to the pre-war standard.

The regiments, in which there were airplanes painted in accordance with the May 1940 standard, had, at best, quickly put black spots on them. This Yak-1 factory number 1715, Second Lieutenant V. P. Mikhailov from the 237th IAP, crashed at the airport of Orel on 3.08.41. The fighter is painted in an improvised black-and-green camouflage, the stars are in six positions as in the pre-war standard [5].

Pg 28
DB-3 tactical No. 7 factory No. 391418, pilot commander of the 1st Squadron LAKU KE <Lipetsk Aviation Courses for the Improvement of Squadron Commanders> major N. V. Ledenev. The aircraft performed an emergency landing at the Lebedyan airfield on 14.07.41. It was Painted in an improvised black and green camouflage, the stars were applied in six positions according to the pre-war standard [6].

SB tactical number 10, late series, from the 128th SBAP (transferred after the start of the war from the 6th SBAP). The aircraft made an emergency landing at the airport of Vitebsk. Painted on top light green A-19f, below - blue A-18f. The identification marks on the fuselage and the upper surface of the planes are not painted over, but a star is applied on the tail fin in accordance with the scheme attached to the Decree No. 1711 of the SNK.

Pg 29
SB tactical No. 2 factory No. 17/300 of the 2nd squadron of the 71st SAP has made an emergency landing at the airport of Elizovo (Kamchatka) on 15.10.41. The Aircraft is painted light green A-19f on top, bottom – blue A-18f. Identification marks on the fuselage and the upper surface of the wings are painted over, but the star on the rudder is not added. [7].

DB-3 tactical No. 3, factory No. 180408 of the commander of the 2nd squadron 445th DBAP Lieutenant I. K. Pinegina, crashed at the airport of Bud on 18.10.41. The Aircraft is painted in the so-called "Khalchin Gol" camouflage, identification marks on the fuselage and the upper surface of the wings are painted over, the star on the rudder is applied in accordance with the scheme annexed to the decision of the SNK No. 1711 [8].

SB tactical No. 14, factory No. 47/18 (factory No. 125) flown by the commander of the 2nd squadron of the 454th SBAP Lieutenant I. K. Tsvetkova, received damage due to the collision with an aircraft in the area of the airfield Undur Khan on 7.09.41. The Aircraft is painted in "Khalchin Gol" camouflage: on a light green paint A-19f, black stripes are applied. Identification marks in six positions according to the pre-war standard

Pg 30
SB bombers with tactical numbers 1 and 6, unknown air force unit, shot down in air battles or from fire from the enemy. The aircrafts are painted in "Khalchin Gol" camouflage, markings are painted on the fuselage and the upper surfaces, a star is marked on the tail in accordance with the scheme annexed to the decision of the SNK No. 1711. Interestingly, the stars made up their faces in the "parking" position and people in different regiments, without an agreement, did it identically.

The wreckage of SB tactical No. 7, serial No. 39/8 (factory No. 125) from 1st squadron 32A-SBAP, crashed at the airport Balashov on 8.08.41. The Aircraft is painted in "Khalchin Gol" camouflage, it is clearly seen that were used paints of different colors, with high probability, green and black [9].

SB factory No. 42/2 (factory No. 125) with the pilot of the 2nd Squadron 454th SBAP Sergeant I. A. Bakanova, received damage due to a collision with the leading plane in the area of the airfield Undur Khan 7.09.41. The Aircraft is painted in "Khalchin Gol" camouflage, markings applied in six positions as in the pre-war standard [10].

Pg 31
DB - 3F tactical number 10, crashed and made an emergency landing on enemy territory. The aircraft is painted in an improvised camouflage of small black spots, identification marks on the fuselage and the upper surface of the planes are painted over, a star is applied on the tail in accordance with the scheme attached to the resolution of SNK No. 1711.

I-153 tactical number 33 (serial No. 6465) from the 3rd squadron 282nd IAP 75th SAD. The pilot, Deputy Squadron Commander Lieutenant P. V. Bogatov. The plane crashed at the airport Kremenchug on 10.07.41. Probably painted in improvised black and green camouflage, the gaps between the black and green fields are filled with spots of small size, the stars on the fuselage and the upper surfaces of the planes are painted over, but the rudder one is not worn. [11].

Pg 32
Crash of Ut-1 factory number: 47488 of the Command of 286th IAP 76th SAD, on the airfield Andreyevka (Izyum), 18.08.41. Pilot Deputy  Commander of the Regiment Battalion Commissar A. A. Largin died. The aircraft is painted in black and green improvised camouflage, the gaps between the fields of black and green are filled with spots of small size, the stars are applied according to the pre-war scheme, in six positions. [12]. The anterior part is completely destroyed, so the artist was not able to recreate from the photos its camouflage and depicted the nose of the aircraft with a provisional gray.

Il-2 tactical No. 2 (serial No. 1862803) of the 4th AE of the 4th SHAP, 11th SAD. Pilot Squadron Commander Captain V.D. Lesnikov went missing on 20.07.41. The Plane is painted in an improvised black and green camouflage, markings on the fuselage and the upper surface of the planes are painted over, but on the rudder the star is not applied.

TB-3 tactical number 6, presumably from the 1st TBAP, captured at one airport by the enemy. The bomber is painted in black and green camouflage, the stars are applied in six positions according to the pre-war standard.

Pg 33
MiG-3 late series (after the aircraft No. 3501) unknown air force unit, painted in improvised black and green camouflage, identification marks on the fuselage and the surface of the wings painted over, a star put on the rudder in accordance with the scheme attached to the resolution SNK No. 1711.

TB-3 later series from the Air Force Academy UAP. The bomber is painted in an improvised black-and-green camouflage, identification marks are applied in accordance with the scheme attached to the SNK resolution No. 1711 [13].

Pg 33
LaGG-3 produced in factory No. 23, of 44th IAP of the 7th IAK PVO. The aircraft is painted in an improvised black and green camouflage, but carries the stars in four positions, according to the scheme in the SNK resolution No. 1711.

SB, unknown air force unit, painted in black and green camouflage and with the stars in four positions, according to the scheme in the SNK resolution No. 1711.

German soldiers inspect a downed SB bomber of an unknown air force unit. The aircraft is painted in black and green camouflage and carries stars in four positions.

Pg 35
SB of the 38th SBAP 10th SAD left because of damage at the airport Novgorod-Seversky. The bombers are painted in black and green camouflage and carry stars in four positions.

MiG-3 which in July 1941 was flown by the commander of the 401st IAP Captain V.K. Kokkinaki. The aircraft is painted in black and green camouflage and carries stars in four positions. Judging by the application of the tactical number, originally this fighter was used in the 41st IAP.

Pg 36
I-15bis, from the fighter squadron of the 8th gv BAP, spring-summer 1942. The aircraft is painted in black and green camouflage and carries stars in four positions.

I-16 of the 178th IAP, 6th IAK PVO. The planes are painted in black and green camouflage and carry stars in four positions.

I-153 of an unknown air unit, summer 1941. The aircraft is painted in black and green camouflage and carries stars in four positions.

Su-2 tactical number 2, presumably from the 226th BBAP. The bomber is painted in black and green camouflage and carries stars in four positions.

Pg 37
PE-2 early series production of the factory No. 22 of an unknown air force unit, in the summer of 1941. The planes are painted in black and green camouflage and carry stars in four positions.

PE-2 of the 5th SBAP. This bomber early series of the factory No. 39 made an emergency landing at the locality of Babanka (Uman district) in August 1941. The aircraft is painted in black and green camouflage and carries stars in four positions.

Pg 38
Cherry on the cake-interned ex-Yugoslav SM-79 from the command of the 21st SAD. The aircraft is painted in black and green camouflage according to the scheme of the resolution SNK No. 1711.

Collision of two planes of the 458th BAP, 136th SAD, at the airport of Ashgabat city on 10.12.41. The USB tactical No. 2, factory No. 17/104, of the Deputy Commander of the 1st squadron, senior Lieutenant N. V. Puzanskie on landing collided with the SB tactical No. 5, serial 21/13 (factory No. 125) flown by a pilot of the 2nd AE, Young Lieutenant A. Ya. Alyabyev. The aircraft are painted in black and green camouflage and carry stars in four positions according to the scheme in the SNK resolution No. 1711 [14].

Pg 39
SB tactical No. 4 of the 34th SBAP. Presumably lost flying to the front in November 1941.

DI-6 tactical No.8, factory No. 81242 (factory No. 81) from the 3rd squadron of the 136th SAD, pilot Sergeant Chernyak. Made an emergency landing at the airport Ak-Tepe on 12.11.41. [15].

Regards
Daniele

Daniele
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2019, 08:58:34 AM »

Hi Daniele,
thank you for sharing these translations. there is a selection of photos with the rare four positions disposition for the stars.
Regards
Massimo
righidan

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2019, 07:46:53 PM »

Dear friends,
   in his fourth article Mr. Timin summarizes: “The formation of the final appearance. Black and green camouflage and enlarged insignia in six positions.”
   We have seen that the camouflage just at the beginning of the war SHOULD have been standardized: AM 24 and АМ 26 or AMT-4 and AMT-6 above, blues AM-28 or AMT-7 under, two stars under the wings, two stars on the tail.
   But soon in the first weeks of war, a big problem became “friendly fire”.
   So on 17 July 1941 at a joint meeting of the Main Directorate of the Air Force and the People's Commissariat of Aviation Industry, it was decided to put other two stars of 1 meter diameter without black edging, on the sides of the fuselage on all aircraft, in the units and in the factories.
   The order reached quickly the factories and the regiments, and from the end of July we can find samples of aircraft decorated according to this order.
   Of course even this order was not applied exactly and everywhere in all the factories, and the situation in the front line regiments was even more difficult, especially with aircraft transferred from inner parts of the country with old type colors.
   In the Central Asian Military District for some reason the I-16 were repainted in gray or silver.
   Oddities remained, but by the winter of 1941, most factories complied with the summer instructions, and in the front line regiments attrition removed most old planes.
   Like always, illustrations and captions illustrate this all.

MH 10/2018

Pg 47
SB from the 6th and 128th SBAP, left due to malfunctions at the airport Vitebsk. 1. Plane No. 6 began to paint or "Khalchin Gol" camouflage or just plain like the plane without a number, but the process failed to be completed. 2. SB later series No. 10 (the numbers are small) shaded stars on the fuselage and on the wing from above, but it put the star on rudder according to the scheme in the decision of the SNK No.1711. 3. SB 96th series without a number, originally painted in silver color, was repainted in solid green, while putting the stars in four positions according the resolution of SNK No.1711. 4. The aircraft number 9 has a pre-war color and identification marks in six positions, but with the addition of a small star on the rudder. 5. SB No. 10 (large numbers) has a pre-war colouring and pre-war marking in six positions.

Scheme of camouflage for LaGG-3, introduced at the plant number 21 in late July 1941. It is made according to the scheme attached to the resolution SNK No. 1711. Above: the AMT-4 and AMT-6, bottom AMT-7. According to the instructions, the scheme was supposed to be painted with change of camouflage colors each other plane. Identification marks were applied in six positions: on the wing from below, on the fuselage and on the tail. Drawing By Sergei Trufanov

Pg 48
LaGG-3 factory No. 31215-55 from the 2nd ZAP, broken in an accident on 14.08.41. At the airport Sejm, pilot 434 IAP Second Lieutenant A. S. Savich. The aircraft is painted in black and green standard camouflage AMT-4, AMT-6, AMT-7, propeller blades are covered with black paint AM-26 [6].

LaGG-3 factory No.31217-15 on tests in August 1941. The aircraft is painted in black and green standard camouflage, but with a change of color spots, in accordance with the instructions for painting. Colors: AMT-4, AMT-6, AMT-7, the propeller blades are covered with black paint AM-26, the stars are marked in six positions with nitrolacquer II "red".

Pg 49
LaGG-3 factory number: 263124 from the 11th ZAP, crashed on 27.08.41 On aerodrome Rostov-on-don, pilot Second Lieutenant M. T. Laptiev. The aircraft of the first series of the plant No.31, released on 27.07.41. - this is one of the first LaGG-3, painted in black and green standard camouflage AMT-4, AMT-6, AMT-7, the propeller blades are covered with black paint AM-26, the stars in six positions are painted with nitrolacquer II "red". [7]

LaGG-3 with tactical number 69 production plant No. 31 painted in black-and green with the standard camouflage: from above AMT-4 and AMT-6, from below AMT-7 "light-blue”. The plane was captured by the enemy at the site of an unknown emergency landing.

The last LaGG-3 and the first La-5 together on the conveyor of the plant No.21. Aircraft painted in black and green camouflage according to the scheme to the resolution SNK No.1711, stars in six positions.

LaGG-3 factory No. 0115305 of 19th ZAP crashed 9.10.41 on Alekseevka airfield, the pilot  Second Lieutenant I. M. Szczerba. The aircraft of the first series of the plant No.153, delivered 23.08.41 painted in an improvised factory black and green camouflage, stars in six positions [8].

Pg 50
The camouflage coloring scheme for PE-2 began at factory No. 22 at the end of July 1941. Composed according to the scheme in the decision of the SNK No.1711: on top paint AM-24 and AM-26, below AM 28. Identification marks were applied in six positions: on the wings below, on the fuselage and on the rudder. Drawing By Sergei Trufanov.

PE-2 No. 5/33 and 10/35 on trials in August 1941. Aircraft painted in black and green camouflage according to the scheme to the resolution SNK No.1711: on top paints AM-24 and AM-26, bottom-light blue AM-28, propeller blades are covered with black AM-26, identification marks of increased size with black edging applied in six positions.

Crash of PE-2 No. 20/40 from 1st squadron 507th SBAP, 15.09.41, at the airfield Griazi. Pilot Sergeant Ya. S. Vlasov and Navigator second Lieutenant A.I. Tixii was not injured, the gunner Sergeant I. P. Lazarev was slightly injured. Bomber issued on 2.09.1941 painted in black and green camouflage AM-24, AM-26, AM-28, propeller blades-AM-26, identification marks of increased size with black edging in six positions [9].

PE-2 No. 19/42 2nd squadron 225th SBAP, crash on 4.11.41. Pilot Senior Political Officer F. M. Ogorodnikov and Navigator Ensign V. S. Pacific killed, gunner Sergeant A. D. Vorobyov was not injured. Plane released at the beginning of September 1941 painted in black-green camouflage according to the resolution of SNK No. 1711, identification marks of the increased size with a black edge in six positions [10].

Pg 51
PE-2 No.391317, captured at an airport by the Germans. Bomber plant number 39 (presumably, 13-series) painted in an improvised black and green camouflage, identification marks increased size in six positions.

PE-2 with tactical number 1, factory No.605 production plant No.124 (the fifth aircraft of the 6 series) of the 3rd AE 15th ZAP, broken in an accident on 30.09.41. The pilot Lieutenant was lightly wounded. The aircraft is painted in black and green camouflage in accordance with the resolution of SNK No.1711, identification marks are applied in six positions [11].

Pg 52
Crash of Il-2 with tactical number 5 (serial No. 1862008) from the 1st AE 190th SHAP when flying to the front at the airport, "OSO" Voronezh 22.07.41. Pilot Lieutenant A. K. Skvortsov and Junior military technician A. I. Mogilev was killed. The aircraft is painted in an improvised black and green camouflage from factory No.18, identification marks increased size in six positions, the star on the tail of the previous size.

Il - 2 tactical number 3 (factory number 1863514) from the 61th SHAP, August 1941. The aircraft is painted in an improvised black-and-green camouflage from factory No.18, identification marks of increased size in six positions, the star on the tail is of the increased size.

Pg 53
Il-2 tactical number 20, plant number 18, captured by the enemy at the airport. The aircraft is painted in an improvised black-and-green camouflage of factory No.18, identification marks of increased size in six positions, the star on the tail is of the increased size.

The Su-2 with tactical number 2 of an unidentified unit was captured by the enemy at the site of a forced landing in August-September 1941. The plane is painted in black and green camouflage and carries the stars in six positions, according to the improvised scheme of the plant number 135.

Yak-1 with the tactical number 104 (serial No. 1823), on which 27.07.41 made an emergency landing the Commander of the 1st squadron 163rd IAP captain I. S. Shulyak. The aircraft is painted in an improvised black-and-green camouflage of Zavod No. 292, markings increased in size in six positions [13].

Pg 54
Yak-1, tactical number 32 (factory number 1730). The plane made an emergency landing during the flight to the front on 18.08.41. Pilot Deputy Commander of the 237th IAP, Battalion Commissioner N. S. Kiselev. The aircraft is painted in the improvised black-and-green camouflage of plant No.292, the insignia of the increased size in 6 positions. (14)

MiG-3 with tactical number 09 (factory number 4809) from the 169th IAP. The plane crashed in an accident on 3.10.41, the pilot Second Lieutenant Kalinin. It is painted in one-colour protective colouring, identification signs of the increased size are put in six positions [15].

Pg 55
MiG-3 tactical No. 25, of an unknown air unit, captured by the enemy on the site of a forced landing, August - September 1941. The aircraft is painted in a monochromatic protective coloration, the identification marks of an increased size are marked in 6 positions.

DB-3f of plant No. 126 with tactical number 8, allegedly from the 52nd BAD, captured by the enemy at the Orel airfield in October 1941. The plane is painted in a uniform protective coloration, the identification marks are in six positions.

Regards
Daniele

Daniele
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2019, 10:30:54 PM »

Hi Daniele,
thank you for your useful work.
Regards
Massimo
righidan

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2019, 06:53:06 PM »

Dear friends,
  In his fifth work, Mr. Timin begins with the description of camouflage of the Yak-1 from factory No. 292 from September to December 1941, when they switched to winter camouflage.
   Then he shows some samples of Il-2 camouflage, and says that in most aircraft factories, by the end of September 1941, the planes were produced with green – black camouflage according to the scheme of SNK resolution No. 1711 and had stars of increased size in six positions.
   The old aircraft that were already in service or that were transferred from places in the interior of the country, usually sported their old camouflage, but attempted to increase the size of the stars, or to apply one star on the tail.
   It also seems that the order to paint six larger stars did not reach the Far Eastern Front (DVF) and the Pacific Fleet (TOF).
   Moreover, in the Red Banner Central Asian Military District (SAVO) the new planes that were received with green – blue camouflage, for some reason were repainted in silver.
   Enjoy the captions to the illustrations.

Mh 11/2018

Pg 44
Scheme of camouflage for painting the Yak-1, introduced at the factory number 292 in mid-September 1941. It is made according to the scheme attached to the resolution SNK No. 1711. The aircraft were painted with AMT-4 and AMT-6 paints on top and AMT – 7 on the bottom. Identification marks were applied in six positions: on the wing from below, on the fuselage and on the rudder. Drawing By Sergei Trufanov.

The Yak-1 of the commander of the 1st squadron of the 8th IAP VVS of the Black Sea Fleet captain M. V. Avdeev. Spring of 1942, the aircraft is painted in black and green camouflage scheme according to the decision of the SNK No. 1711, markings of increased size applied in six positions.

Yak-1 aircraft from the black sea air force, which flew the air force commander Major General N. Ah. Wit. The spring of 1942. The aircraft is painted in black and green camouflage according to the scheme in the resolution of SNK No. 1711, the identification marks of increased size are applied in six positions.

Pg 45
Yak-1 with tactical number 6, 43-44 series. Captured by the enemy on the site of an emergency landing in the winter of 1941-42, the aircraft is painted in black and green camouflage according to the scheme in the resolution of SNK No. 1711, identification marks of increased size are applied in six positions.

Il-2 tactical number 8, captured by the enemy at the site of an emergency landing in July-August 1941, the aircraft is painted in a standard black and green camouflage, but with identification marks of increased size applied to the fuselage.

Il-2 with tactical number 2. The aircraft is painted in an improvised black and green camouflage, increased size insignia in six positions, the star on the tail is of the previous size.

Pg 46
After 20.07.41 part of the attack planes received additional markings of increased size on the fuselage.

Camouflage scheme for painting Il-2, introduced in the first half of July 1941. The camouflage was applied according to the scheme the decision of the SNK No.1711, markings in four positions.

In mid-August (the exact date is unknown) the size of the star on the rudder was increased.

Improvised painting scheme for the Il-2, introduced after 20.07.41. Camouflage black and green, with a change of color spots on different aircraft, identification marks of increased size in six positions, the star on the tail of the same size.

The Il-2 is painted in an improvised black-green camouflage of plant No. 18 with changing colors of spots in different planes, identification marks of an increased size in six positions, a star on the tail fin of the previous size.

Pg 47
Il-2 with tactical number 3, captured by the enemy at the site of an emergency landing in July-August 1941, the Aircraft is painted in an improvised black and green camouflage, identification marks increased size in six positions, the star on the tail of the previous size.

Il-2 produced in late summer-autumn 1941 with tactical number 3 painted in improvised black and green camouflage, insignia with white edging in six positions, and the star on the fuselage of reduced size.

Il-2 tactical number 4 (factory number 1864818) is painted in an improvised black and green camouflage, identification marks are applied in six positions, the star on the fuselage is reduced in size.

Pg 48
In late August-early September (exact date unknown) - the insignia began to be applied with a white edging, in addition, the size of the fuselage star was reduced.

Improvised painting scheme for Il-2, introduced in mid-August 1941 Camouflage black and green, identification marks of increased size with black edging in six positions, the star on the tail is of increased size. Spots and stripes of black color on the planes were applied without any system and differed from plane to plane,

Il-2 from the 174th SHAP painted in an improvised black-and-green camouflage, markings applied in six positions, the star on the fuselage of reduced size.

Il-2 with tactical number 6 of the 174th SHAP.

Crash of MiG-3 with tactical number 4 (factory number 3604) from the 1st AE 425th IAP. Pilot Ensign S. P. Zenin died. The aircraft is painted in improvised black-and-green camouflage and carries identification marks of increased size applied in six positions [3].

Pg 49
MiG-3 with tactical number 1 of the Air Force of the Black Sea Fleet. Khersones airfield, September 1941, the Aircraft is painted in an improvised black-and-green camouflage and carries markings increased in size in six positions.

I-16 tactical number 7 (factory number 2421793) of the 176th IAP, broken when landing at the airport Monino on the night of 28 to 29 July 1941, the Pilot Deputy Squadron Commander Lieutenant DV Stupachenko was not injured. The aircraft is painted in improvised black and green camouflage, and carries identification marks in six positions [4].

DB-3F tactical number 10 from an unknown air unit, captured by the enemy at the site of an emergency landing. The plane in the pre-war solid protective coloring, but it got markings in six positions.

Pg 50
Left: I-16 of an unknown military unit left due to damage. The aircraft is painted in an improvised black-and-green camouflage and carries markings in six positions. Right: TB-7 of 432nd BAP in flight on a combat mission, August-September 1941. Aircraft painted in black and green camouflage in accordance with the scheme in the resolution of SNK No. 1711, identification marks of increased size in six positions.

SB bomber with tactical number 8 (factory number 49/8) from the 30th SBAP, captured by the enemy at the airport Dukhovshchina. The aircraft in a pre-war solid-color protective color, the identification marks of increased size are applied, but only in four positions: on the fuselage and lower surfaces of the wings.

Broken in an accident at the airport Kegostrov on 10.08.41 the fighter I-153 with tactical number 12 (factory number 6853) from the 4th AE 152th IAP. Pilot commander Lieutenant I. N. Galoshin. The aircraft is repainted, the top is green, the bottom is blue, the markings on the upper plane are painted over, but on the rudder, the star is not applied [6].

Pg 51
Accident to SB (factory No.5/B) from the 15th ORAE VVS SAVO at the airport Karshi 13.08.41, pilot Sergeant V.I. Ivlev. The aircraft is painted in black and green camouflage scheme as in the resolution SNK No.1711, identification marks are applied in four positions, the stars on the fuselage and on the upper surfaces of the wings are painted over.

Broken in a crash, at the airport, on 6.08.41, DB-3 with tactical number 5 (No. 180203), the Deputy Commander of the regiment Major S. A. Gelbach from 139th DBAP, the airplane was repainted from the top to the blue, the identification marks remained in six positions according to the pre – war standard.

I-16 type 29 with tactical numbers 15 from the 167th IAP in autumn 1941. The aircraft was repainted in silver, the insignia remained in the six positions of the pre-war model.

Pg 52
I-16 type 29 with a tactical number 30 of 167th IAP autumn 1941. The aircraft was repainted in silver; the insignia remained in six positions as on the pre-war model.

Broken at the airport Mashhad on 16.12.41, I-153 with tactical number 20 (factory number 8791) Squadron Commander Lieutenant P. S. Lembek from the 492th SHAP. The aircraft was repainted in silver; the insignia remained in six positions of the pre-war model [8].

Pg 53
Repair to I-15bis in autumn 1941. Three aircraft painted in different schemes: one black and green camouflage, the second star on the tail, and the third with identification marks on the fuselage of increased size.

Regards
Daniele

Daniele
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2019, 08:30:03 PM »

Hi Daniele,
thank you very muchfor this work.
The thing about planes in Central asia being repainted silver is surprising. Perhaps this was because they were very far from the front.
Regards
Massimo
righidan

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2019, 06:33:53 PM »

Dear friends,
   This sixth article is particularly rich in illustrations.
   We know that in most Air Forces, there was a system to identify a single airplane in a specific squadron: we all know that JFoE was the airplane of Ace Pierre Closterman, the E being the identification of the single plane and JF identifying the 3rd Squadron RAF.
   Nothing similar existed in the VVS RKKA.   Here you can find what the author calls “color” and “numeric” system.
   In the first, each squadron had on the tail colored numbers from 1 to 15, usually, as follows: 1st red, 2nd blue or dark blue, 3rd yellow, 4th white, 5th black.
   The planes of the command squadron could have a star near the number, or an “E”.
   Some bomber squadron substituted the white number with a brown one.
   In the “numeric” system, each squadron received a range of numbers: 1st 1 to 20; 2nd 21-40; 3rd 41-60; 4th 61-80; 5th 81-100.
   The exceptions to these rules were numerous, and shown in the illustrations.
   I would like to conclude with the last words of this article, that I find absolutely true: “For all these reasons, the identification of Soviet aircraft in wartime photographs is very difficult and requires the use of a huge array of documents on the organization of units and formations of the VVS RKKA.”

MH 12/2018

Pg. 42
Collage "color" designation system, for example I-16 89-th IAP. 1st AE – red numbers, 2nd AE – blue, 3rd AE –yellow, 4th AE – white [1].

Collage "color" system of notation, example SB 128-SBAP. 1st AE –red numbers, 2nd AE – blue, 3rd AE – yellow, 4th AE – white, 5th AE black numbers [2].

Application of tactical symbols in accordance with the rules for the use of ciphers and distinctive signs for military aircraft of the red army air force.
Pg. 43
I-16 type 28 (presumably with the factory number 2821285). Tactical number 7 red from the 1st squadron of the 89th IAP. Was left because of a malfunction at the airport Lutsk. The plane became famous because it was on the cover of the German magazine Adler.

I-16 type 28 (presumably with the factory number 2821372). Tactical number 10 blue 2nd squadron of the 89th regiment. Captured by the enemy at the site of an emergency landing.

I-16 type 28 (serial number 282133) tactical number 4 yellow from the 3rd squadron of the 89th IAP. Left due to damage at the airport Lutsk.

I-16 type 28 (serial No. 2821377) tactical number 6 white from the 4th squadron of the 89th regiment. Left due to damage at the airport Lutsk.

I-16 type 28 (serial No. 2821376) tactical number 15 white from the 4th squadron of the 89th regiment. Left due to damage at the airport Lutsk. In the background is the I-16 type 28 (presumably serial number 2821311) tactical number 2 red 1st squadron of the 89th regiment.

Pg. 44
I-16 type 29 (factory No. 2921332) tactical number 11 red from the 1st squadron 161st IAP, crashed 5.06.41 at the airport Zubovo. Pilot second Lieutenant I. A. Oleshko died [5].

I-16 type 29 (factory number: 2921342) tactical number 6 red 1st squadron 161st IAP. Landed with the landing gear retracted on 22.06.41 at the airport Baranovichi. The pilot second Lieutenant M. V. Ryzhkin.

I-16 type 29 (factory number: 2921390) tactical number 6 blue 2nd squadron 161st IAP. Landed with the landing gear retracted on 22.06.41 at the airport Baranovichi. The pilot second Lieutenant I. P. Jesters.

I-16 type 29 (factory number: 2921368) tactical number 8 blue 2nd squadron 161st IAP. Collided with a taxiing U-2 22.06.41 Pilot second Lieutenant A. I. Umkin.

I-16 type 29 (factory number: 2921483) tactical 9 white 4th squadron 161st IAP. Collided bomber SB on 5.07.41 at the airport Smolensk. The pilot, Deputy Squadron commander Lieutenant N. P. Diatlov.

Pg. 45
I-16 type 29 (factory number: 2921338) tactical number 9 blue 2nd squadron 161st IAP. Landed with the landing gear retracted on 22.06.41 at the airport Baranovichi. Pilot Sergeant Sakharov.

I-16 type 29 (factory number: 2921451) tactical number 9 yellow 3rd squadron 161th IAP. Damaged by enemy bombing on the airfield Pukhovichi 26.06.41.

I-16 type 29 (factory number: 2921453) tactical number 2 white 4th squadron 161st IAP. Left due to lack of engine at the airport Pukhovichi 26.06.41.

I-16 type 29 (factory number 2921487) tactical number 5 white from the 4th squadron of the 161st IAP. Broken in a crash on 28.05.41 at the airport Zubovo. Pilot commander second Lieutenant V. A. Poplawski [6].

I-16 type 29 (factory number: 2921471) tactical number 15 white 4th squadron 161st IAP. Damaged as a result of enemy bombing at the airport Baranovichi on 22.06.41.

Pg. 46
SB (serial No. 18/305) tactical number 9 white 4th squadron of the 128th, CBAP. Left due to damage at the airport Vitebsk. Drawing By Vladimir Kamsky.

SB (serial No. 8/297) tactical 8 black 5th squadron 128th SBAP. The plane left due to engine failure at the airport of Ulla. Drawing By Vladimir Kamsky.

SB with tactical number "a" of the commander of the 2nd squadron of the 39th, SBAP captain D. T. Zhuravsky, left due to damage at the airport Bobruisk, June 1941 [8]. Drawing By Vladimir Kamsky.

Training USB tactical number "zero" from the 40th SBAP, left due to damage at the airport Ventspils in June 1941. Drawing By Vladimir Kamsky.

Pg. 47
I-153 (factory No. 6597) with tactical number "e" of the commander of the 2nd squadron of the 123rd IAP. The plane made an emergency landing for malfunctions of the motor on 27.03.41 in Kobrin district [10].

I-153 (factory No. 8376) with tactical number "e" of the commander of the 3rd squadron of the 3rd IAP. Broken during night flights 16.09.41 at the airport Molchanovo [11].

I-15bis (serial number 5324) from the staff level 106th SHAP VVS SAVO. 15.02.41 this fighter put on the "nose" Deputy Commander of the regiment battalion Commissar I. S. Poletayev [12].

Pg. 48
Aircraft SB tactical number “e” yellow, factory number 4/324, commander of the 3rd AE 213th SBAP captain M. Rabinovich. (9)

DB-3 (factory number 180956) tactical number 9 black from the 5th squadron of the 7th DBAP. The aircraft made an emergency landing in the area of Mitava airfield on 22.05.41 [14].

Collage "color" system of tactical designations of aircraft painted with silver and light gray paint, for example DB-3 of the 7th DBAP. 1st AE – red numbers, 2nd AE – blue, 3rd AE – yellow, 4th AE – green, 5th AE black numbers.

Collage "color" system of tactical designations of PE-2 from the 95th SBAP. 1st AE – red numbers, 2nd AE – blue, 3rd AE – yellow, 4th AE – brown, 5th AE – black numbers.

On the left: MiG-3 Accident (No. 2373) tactical number 5 white at the aerodrome of Kaunas, on 6.06.41.   Pilot Deputy Commander of the 4th squadron of the 15th IAP senior Lieutenant V. A. Voronov [15]. Right: the same plane after the capture of Kaunas inspected by German soldiers.

Pg. 49
MiG-3 of 15th IAP, abandoned due to damage on the airfields Kaunas and Pociunai.

Collage "color" designation system on the example of MiG-3 from the 15th IAP. 1st AE – red numbers, 2nd AE – blue, 3rd AE – yellow, 4th AE – white.

SB (serial No. 12/272) tactical number 11 from 1st squadron 132nd SBAP, pilot Lieutenant A. A. Kardash, Navigator Lieutenant V. I. Vasko, gunner Sergeant P. E. Zharkov. The plane crashed on 14.04.41 [16]. Drawing By Vladimir Kamsky.

Pg. 50
Collage "numerical" designation system with the example of I-16 of the 67th IAP. 1st squadron: 12-16 and 19-20, 3rd squadron-50-53. 4th squadron: 70-72-78-82-85 [17].
Left: I-16 (factory No. 28p211-11, engine M-63 No. 630470) tactical number 16 of the 1st squadron. The pilot second Lieutenant M. I. Karetin, 21.03.1941. Right: I-16 (factory No. 28p211-3, engine M-63 No. 631959) tactical number 20 of the 1st squadron. Pilot second Lieutenant N. F. Murashev, 12.04.1941.

Left: I-16 with tactical number 53 from 3rd squadron. Centre: I-16 type 24 with tactical number 72. In July 1941 the Commander of the 4th Squadron, Captain P. Savenko flew this aircraft. Right: I-16 type 24 with tactical number 85 of the 4th squadron of the 67th IAP, pilot second Lieutenant N. M. Naumov.

Pg. 51
DB-3F (factory No. 180253) tactical number 33 of the 1st squadron 212th DBAP. Pilot Commander Lieutenant G. E. Kondratyev, Navigator Senior Lieutenant I. R. Kleimenov, gunner Sergeant V. F. Kuzmin. Soviet fighters landed the plane on the airfield Pukhovichi on 24.06.41.

The DB-3F (factory number: 180748) tactical 72, 3rd squadron 212th DBAP. The aircraft made an emergency landing in Borisov due to a malfunction of the motor on 23.06.41. Pilot, Deputy Squadron Commander Lieutenant Z. K. Pruginin, Navigator N.P. Kushnarenko, gunner S. V. Doev [19].

Collage mixed "numeric + color" notations as an example the I-153 of the 148th IAP. Drawing Igor Zlobin.

Pg. 52
Left: Accident of I-153 (factory No. 7344) tactical number 44 yellow. The pilot, Deputy Commander of the 3rd squadron of the 148th IAP senior Lieutenant L. D. Smirnov. Liepaja, May 1941 [18]. Right: I-153 with tactical number 69, presumably from the 4th squadron, which made an emergency landing at the airport Liepaja on 22.06.41.

I-16 type 5 (factory No. 521A439) tactical number 229 from the 2nd squadron of the 26th IAP. Crashed 30.01.41 on the airfield Uglovo. Pilot Lieutenant M. I. Krikunov [20].

I-16 (serial No. 2153185) tactical number 329 from the 2nd squadron of the 60th IAP. Crashed on 29.06.41, fell into the Amur River. Pilot Lieutenant I. P. Grishin [21].

I-16 type 10 (factory No. 1021728) tactical number 111 from the 1st squadron of the 18th IAP. Crashed 10.08.41 on airfield No. 83. Pilot Lieutenant N. N. Glebov [22].

I-16 type 29 (factory number 2921420) with a tactical number 420, which is taken as the last digits of the factory number. 155th IAP, pilot Lieutenant V. Galkin [23].

Pg. 53
I-16 type 29 (factory number 2921749) with tactical number 749, which is taken as the last digits of the factory number. 156th IAP, pilot second Lieutenant Kosterov [24].

I-15bis with tactical number 2-1 of the commander of the 1st Squadron of the 65th SHAP, Captain M.P. Krasnolutsky. The photo was taken after departure on August 12, 1941. Is visible the broken off tip of the lower right plane because of a ram. The plane has an interesting feature - it has a wind visor from the I-153 [26].

Collage mixed "numeric + color" notation Il-2 from the 4th SHAP, 1st AE – red number, in the 4th AE – white, 2, 3 and 5 AE - fractional numbers (in the numerator the number of squadrons in the denominator the number of the aircraft).

Regards
Daniele

Daniele
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: