Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Polikarpov monoplanes with radial engine. From TsKB-12 to I-185
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 11:47:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Polikarpov monoplanes with radial engine. From TsKB-12 to I-185  (Read 10455 times)
BLG

« on: March 07, 2019, 11:01:30 PM »

Hello every body.

I had begun to post the building of several I-16 in the "Pre WW-II aviation" topic, monoplanes fighter of the 20s and 30s.
Very few answers and visits.
As  the Polikarpovs I build belongs to "pre  GPW" and GPW eras and nobody seems interested in the building , I post here the gallery of the kits of the TsKB 12 family.
For each picture, you have a link to see more photos.
If someone is interested in building tricks, the link is:Building

TsKB-12  More pictures : TsKB-12

Type 4   More pictures : Type4

UTI-2 More pictures UTI-2

Type 5 early  Capitaine Serguey Tharkov, Chief  1 fighting group  , killed Madrid ddecember 1936
More pictures : Type 5  initial

Type 5 1938 reinforced wings , closed canopy   Liu Che Seng  Chines ace  Hankou March 1938 
More pictures:  Type 5 chine

Type 5 Windshield  OP1 viewfinder   captured bu Finns 1942
More pictures :"Type 6"

Type 5   Windshield   Pak  viewfinder 1939  Khalkhin gol
More pictures :Type 5 Khalkhin Gol

Type 5 Engine  M25v   Sturmovik  Caucasus 1943
More pictures :Type 5 M25v

UTI 4  early
More pictures : UTI-4

Uti 4 engine M 25v
More pictures : Uti-4 M25v

Type 9 Sturmovik protoype
More pictures Type 9

Types 10  More pictures :  3 Types 10

type 10  CM-222 4th mosca,   Sabino Kortizo Bertolo, shot down  5 January 39

Type-10  Khalhkin-gol    1939

Type 10 given to the autonomous province of Xinjiang

Type 12  Type 12  Prototype  with  canons
More picture  : Type 12

Type 17   A,A, Khudyakov 84A IAP.  1942  Caucasus
More pictures : Type 17

Type 18  Pacific Fleet
More pictures : Type 18

Type 24   Dmitry Panov  43ed IAP,  Kharkov battle, spring 42,
More pictures  :Type 24

Type 27   Vaptured and modified as  Type 18 by Finns
More pictures  :Type 18 Finlande

Type 27  975 IAP  Kouban  1943.
More pictures :Type 27

Type 28  Minsk Summer 1941
More pictures : Type 28

Type 29  Lt Kharitonov  58e IAP , Kresly  airfiled,
More pictures:  Type 29

UTI-4b  Caucasus 1942
More pictures : Uti-4b

Type 24 SPB Crimea 1941.
More pictures: Zveno

Four I-180
More pictures: I-180

I180 E1 1938

I180 E2 1939

I180 E3 1940

I180 S 1940

I 185 M 90, 1940

I 185  M71 1941

I 185 M82  1941

I 185 M 71 étalon 1942

Regards
Bernard

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 06:57:29 AM »

Hi Bernard,
the thematic collection is absolutely impressive, particularly in consideration that some of the models had to be strongly elaborated to represent their subjects.  I am particularly impressed for the 'fat' versions of I-185s that are not reproduced in kits, for what I know, I would know more about them.
Regards
Massimo
BLG

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 11:35:15 AM »

Hi Massimo,

Thank you for your interest.
The "fat" I-185 appear like that because their fuselage was shorter than the next versions.
A very nice  M-71 version has been produced by "Airkits". Unfortunately, V Kozyrev died recently. The kits are still available on the web, but I dont know if production will continue.
http://hobbymodels.lv/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=172
Despite this availability, I prefered to build my own  because my main pleasure in modeling is to create new versions from the  kits I have .

3 prototypes with this fuselage were built.
One tested in wind tunnel and equiped with a M90 , never flighted.
 The second received a M81 then a M71.  It'my second.
The third received a M-71. It can be recognised on picture with a longer oil radiator.
The two next, with M82 and M71 "étalon" had a 30cm part added between canopy and rudder.

You can see how I built them here: http://www.master194.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=106130&p=1354675&hilit=polikarpov+i+185#p1354675

Best regards
Bernard

« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 10:28:59 PM by BLG » Logged

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 09:49:30 PM »

Hi Bernard,
very interesting work.
Is the shop Hobbymodels reliable, in your knowledge? I've seen a lot of tempting things.
I think to have seen a photo of the first prototype with a short wing (I suppose provisional)  while tested in the wind tunnel.
Regards
Massimo
BLG

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 11:05:40 PM »

Hi Massimo,
The M90 version was tested with partial and complete wings in wind tunnel.
I dont know Hobby models, but it is in Riga , Latvia, Europe. You can pay  in euro with Paypal , which is a garantee. Their is a lot of small and medium producers of nice  kits in Russia and Ukrain  (Pro&jet, Airkits, ABM, Katran , Modelsvit, Mikromir etc...) , and I think they use  such shop in country which are close and have kept link with Russia to sell their products in western Europe.
But 50€ for a small I-185, it's a lot. With a little work, you can make  like me one with the Model russia Maquette/MSD  kit which costs 8€ and have the pleasure to create .
The Art model kit is a far more accurate  representation of the M-71 etalon, but less easy to transform in a short fuselage version.

Best regards
Bernard

John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2019, 07:53:23 PM »

Excellent work, and a very useful reference for anyone wanting to build any of the I-16 variants! I think the way you have organized things is very helpful, especially the "Building" link (which I bookmarked immediately!).

I was sorry to hear of the death of V. Kozyrev. I bought some of his very nice products, both resin and vacuform, during the past 10 years. Among them, I have his resin kit of the early I-16 type 5 partially completed.

For whatever interest it may be, Prop&Jet made a resin upgrade set for the Art Model I-185 kit, although it might be difficult to obtain now:

John
BLG

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2019, 08:34:27 PM »

Excellent work, and a very useful reference for anyone wanting to build any of the I-16 variants! I think the way you have organized things is very helpful, especially the "Building" link (which I bookmarked immediately!). Thank you John. I have used  a lot of data found  on SWP and talking tro Massimo. I try to thank in my way  with this contribution. Happy to be helpful.

I was sorry to hear of the death of V. Kozyrev. I bought some of his very nice products, both resin and vacuform, during the past 10 years. Among them, I have his resin kit of the early I-16 type 5 partially completed.  Small monoplanes may be made from scratch or adaptation of existing kits if we accept a quality lower than that of Airkits/Kajuk/Kozyrev (RIP), but  I have bought a kit of V Kozyrev  that I would have be unable to built, his Tupolev KR6. Astonishing corrugated surface.

For whatever interest it may be, Prop&Jet made a resin upgrade set for the Art Model I-185 kit, although it might be difficult to obtain now  Musa produced only 50sets. Nearly impossible to find. It is not really useful. Compared to the plans I have, I have not seen obvious differences for the tail surfaces. The cockpit may be easily enhanced by scratch of with the Eduard PE. The only part to change is the propeller which turn in the wrong direction. I have made copies of La 5 propeller.

Best regards
Bernard

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2019, 07:00:43 PM »

Hi Bernard,
excellent description of the work, as usual.
Maybe you could consider I-17s and ITP to complete your collection of Polikarpov monoplanes.
Regards
Massimo
BLG

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2019, 08:41:09 PM »

Hi Massimo,
You guessed right. The next project is  "Polikarpov monoplane fighters with online engine" from Il-400 to Mig-3 and ITP 

The I/17 are done "from the box" and I'm scratching the ITP M1. Here is the building of a master

Best regards
Bernard

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2019, 09:49:59 PM »

Hi Bernard,
interesting scratchbuilding, is the fuselage made of wood? What about the wings?
About the TsKB-19, have you done some research on it?
Regards
Massimo
BLG

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2019, 11:06:42 PM »

Hi Massimo.
Foe the TsKB 15, I have used your informations to correct all the defects of the kit.
For the TsKB 19, I have found 2 posts on scalemodels.ru

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30309&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
http://scalemodels.ru/articles/4188-obzor-Amodel-1-72-i-17-ckb-19bis.html

But I have found the kit good enough to be buit "from the box". I have choosen the initial version without oil cooler and with wheel plates, easier to make than the last one without wheel cover. In this case, fixing the wheels would be difficult
For the ITP  I'm making a master in medium density fiberboard (MDF) easy to carve and sand, but non suitabel to make a kit. I will make a resin copy . The wings and stabilizer will be made from parts of a Cap croix du sud Mig 3. Not too difficult.
Best regards
Bernard
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 11:08:30 PM by BLG » Logged

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2019, 05:30:54 PM »

Hi Bernard,
so you could use the resin copy as a base to build the other prototype of ITP, changing its nose.
Regards
Massimo
BLG

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2019, 06:30:02 PM »

Hi Massimo,
The M2 is more elegant than the M1, so I ordered one to Omega models to be sure to have a good model. And I will be able to compare commercial production to mine.
Regards
Bernard

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2019, 08:27:48 PM »

Hi Bernard,
this looks a good idea. Omega Models has a lot of interesting models in its catalogue. I bought an I-30 of Yakovlev, it looks nice but the canopy is not so well moulded.
Regards
Massimo
BLG

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2020, 11:45:04 PM »

Hi everybody,
Here is a complement to this serie of radial engine Polikarpov fighters.
With the work that Massimo is doing to prepare the new pages about I-16, I have realized that my Type-29 had to be corrected, and I wanted to built the late version of this  plane,

So, here are both

The correction of the ealy type: Making slots, and moving the outlet of the oil cooler and the exhaust of cylinder 6.

Building the late type from a Type 18 ICM.

And the front plate

Results compared to Massimo's plans

and  the views of the late version  as Zakharov's plane on 22/06/1941, from this profile.

And both versions

Regards
Bernard

« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 09:57:50 AM by BLG » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: