Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
How Soviet ww2 plane panels faded?
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 10:38:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: How Soviet ww2 plane panels faded?  (Read 12845 times)
Shugayev

« on: April 19, 2019, 12:10:48 AM »

Hi all,
I'd like to ask how the colors on Soviet ww2 fighters and bombers faded. I used to build Jap planes and the case there was that due to increased heat and humidity of the Pacific region the panels did fade a lot especially the green color. In Russia however, there was no such case so excessive panel fading and discoloring is out of the question. As the color on the model surfaces should by no means look even-that is one of the hobby principles-any suggestion with the help of a photo perhaps is more than welcome.
Cheers
Panagiotis  
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 06:45:31 AM »

Hi Panagiotis,
how they faded... when they had time enough to fade.
Modellers (particularly tank modellers)  often take as examples of weathering wrecks that were exposed to weather for a long time.
Real tanks and planes in wartime could be lost soon, or they could be retouched; seldom they are fully repainted. 
Modellers rarely show repaintings because they look as rough corrections on their model, that is the model looks badly made.
Returning on weathering of Soviet planes, one has to distinguish if the surface was glossy, as markings and prewar liveries, or matt as the wartime camouflage, that was more prone to deterioration, mainly by chalking, that makes it more matt and it appears lighter than more recent paint that was less matt.
Regards
Massimo
Shugayev

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 08:06:28 AM »

Hi Massimo,
Thanks a lot for your reply. I got the point and I'll follow it. Here's a retouch of my 00B Il-2 after the first wash.

Something else now. Embarassing I shoud say. Embarrassed This was my first VVS model. A Zvezda 1/48 Yak-3 as you see. The blue 1 code is imaginary unfortunately. Roll Eyes

The colors are faded too. This weekend I'll retouch the colors to a more even look and I'll correct the codes to existing rather than imaginary..These are my two picks.

As you can see changing the color to orange is not such a big deal. This blue 1 Huh  will go for sure. I find the ''100'' more intriguing. What do you think?

And last but not least at all.. When I modelled the Zvezda Su-2 I didn't notice at all that the ''red 8'' was a -M-88B type while my model was a plain 88 type.

So, either I should replace the wrong nose cowling and hub or  pick a -88-M profile. I opted for the latter of course. This is my pick as you may remember.

This weekend is going to be a fix-the-stupidities time period. If you're laughing at me I can understand it. Smiley Cheesy But better late than never as they say.. Lips Sealed Any comment more than welcome needless to say.

Cheers,
Panagiotis.
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 08:43:17 AM »

Hi Panagiotis,
the Yak-3 is nice anyway. Are you sure to take the risk to modify an already finished model?
About Su-2 I think that both Zvezda and ICM chose the less attractive and more limiting version.
Regards
Massimo
otto

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2019, 02:18:47 PM »

Panagiotis, you make really great models! Your Yak-3 is beautiful, I planned to make one with the same open cowling panel. Perfect models don't exist: perhaps the blue "1" is wrong (are you sure?), but the paint doesn't seem too faded to me and this Yak is a winner!
This is my suggestion: don't waste your time correcting your old models, risking to mess them up. Perhaps spend one more day reading the documentation, but make new ones: we look forward to seeing them. Why not a Zvezda Pe-2?
Shugayev

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2019, 05:44:03 PM »

Thank you Otto for your comment. Dont woŕry this is not the first time I tamper with my finished models, I think I can fix the mistake.. The same applies with the Su-2. There is definitely an incoming Pe-2 project. Before I make a decision the forum will learn first. Wink No mistakes àgain! Smiley
Cheerś
Panagiotis.
warhawk

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2019, 06:25:51 PM »

Modellers rarely show repaintings because they look as rough corrections on their model, that is the model looks badly made.

I agree fully.
Most modelers believe they can do re-paints whatever way they want, but it is actually a bit of an art to botch it exactly the way they did on the real thing  Grin
Shugayev

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2019, 06:57:06 PM »

I agree fully.
Most modelers believe they can do re-paints whatever way they want, but it is actually a bit of an art to botch it exactly the way they did on the real thing  
Provide me with some ref photos and I can show you if I can make it show on my model. Wink I mean it. Smiley
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 07:00:35 PM by Shugayev » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2019, 10:08:14 PM »

Hi Panagiotis,
Provide me with some ref photos and I can show you if I can make it show on my model. Wink I mean it. Smiley
many photos of grey Yaks (3 in particular) show the metallic front fuselage painted with fresh dark colors, while the rear is faded.
At present time, I have not in good order my archive of photos of Yak-3.
Regards
Massimo
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2019, 07:19:33 AM »

Hi Panagiotis,
here are some:

Probably the thing is due to a major necessity to repaint metallic parts because of chipping; all those panels were removable and subject to wearing.

Regards
Massimo

Shugayev

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2019, 03:47:53 PM »

Hi Massimo,
Grazie for the ref photos. In the one with the arrowed 1 Yak-3, behind the star I can see fresh paint unevenly sprayed on top of the old one. Like the look of it! Wink
As for my Yak model modifications for the "orange yellow 100"  have already started while in the Su-2 the wrong cowling has been removed Cool and I have already ordered the correct Vector shape. I decided to keep the "red 8" winter scheme. When both are ready I'll post the final photos.
Cheers
Panagiotis.
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2019, 05:29:34 PM »

Hi Panagiotis,
looks a good choice. Changing the nose will add some interest to the Su-2.
I wait to see your models completed.
regards
Massimo
Shugayev

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2019, 06:07:38 AM »

Hi Massimo and forumists,
I had some more free time this weekend, so
1. I changed the ''identity'' of my finished Yak-3-thanks God with no problems

2. I removed the wrong cowling of the Su-2 and I freshened the green camo using AKAN colors. As I have told you I'm waiting for the correct cowling..

and 3. I oversprayed the previous brown on my yellowish Mig-3 using AMT-1 AKAN. What do you think of the difference? The retouch has not been over yet. I'm waiting for your opinion.

Hopefully the Mig-3 will be over by next weekend..

Cheers
Panagiotis.

learstang

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2019, 06:11:14 AM »

Very nice models! I especially like that MiG-3. One thing I try to remember about my VVS models is that during the Great Patriotic War most aeroplanes did not last that long, especially in the first two years of the war. I tend to show them as having a lot of use - exhaust stains, stains from the guns, chipped wing roots where the pilot entered into the aircraft, but I don't go overboard with chipping elsewhere, or fading. That's my preference.

Best Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2019, 08:27:33 AM »

Hi Panagiotis,
nice to see that the modifications to your models are clean.
About the Yak-3: are you sure that the hatch cover can rest in that horizontal position when open? I thought that there were not hinges, only screws.
The color for the MiG-3 looks good.
Regards
Massimo
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: